Hattons announce OO Gauge King

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

But my layouts only a blue route...

I Know It's my railway I'll run what I want....

King pre war livery

Actually, this means (I will assume) Dave will have to scan either 6000 at the NRM, or 6023 in 'full height' form. As 6024 is now the 'Slim Jim' King, that would (I believe) make it unviable to scan? Plus the fact 6024 is disassembled at the moment for overhaul.

Is that correct Dave?

Edit: I must admit, I'm also surprised that 6000 as preserved isn't in the initial release. Is this on the cards at some point Dave?

Hi everyone,

This is a heck of a model for me as I have been asked to almost 'indulge' myself with regards to detail and features.

This, it is hoped, steps away from clever design to even more 'correct design', and I am glad I've been asked to bring the King to you all.

More updates from Hatton's and myself as they happen I'm sure.

Cheers

Dave

Dave,

You are the proverbial "child" in the sweet shop!  But hey, don't mind me I'm just jealous!! :beee:

Best wishes,

Linners

WOW! What an announcement. Looking forward to this model; erring towards KEI, but would dearly love KE2, as preserved in a future GWR livery...

Good luck with this project. DJM certainly shaping up to be a big player in the UK RTR industry, and coming in with a top-link loco really changes the field of play. No longer dealing with 'niche' prototypes.

So, I guess from the lining that this shot of 6001 from 1951 (can't be more precise) is of green livery?  But note that the cab window appears normal size.  Was the small window just on one side?  Or did the windows get changed?  What a nightmare it might be to satisfy all the r---t counters out there??

And the second shot shows "King John" at Reading.  This is dated 1 December 1951 and my father's hand written notes in his 1950s photo album definitely record "BR Blue".  But look at the lining?  Any ideas?

Neither tender has any lettering or logo.

post-18453-0-50782200-1409645206.jpg

post-18453-0-09268100-1409645371_thumb.jpg

So, I guess from the lining that this shot of 6001 from 1951 (can't be more precise) is of green livery?  But note that the cab window appears normal size.  Was the small window just on one side?  Or did the windows get changed?  What a nightmare it might be to satisfy all the r---t counters out there??

Drivers side only.

MW

...Hattons again seizing the moment ....A box shifter.....maybe....but nor as we know it.

This is the most interesting aspect for me. Their business has clearly been affected by lack of supply, thus the return to s/h dealing; and here's something more they are doing about it. The good timing of the Beyer-Garratt, arriving when supply from elsewhere was poor, is presumably providing the investment cash for this next venture.

I can see there's folks here keen for finer scale provision, but think carefully about Hattons' customer base. No hint in the announcement that it is anything but a regular RTR release, and that means R2 capability out of the box unless they specifically announce otherwise.

A note on Hattons' insignia terminology:

- for their HK01 (6000), Hattons mean 'garter crest' and not 'roundel'. (6000 was I believe the only King to get the garter crest, and was probably the last garter crest loco to appear from the works.)

- for the other GWR versions, where Hattons say 'crest' or 'shield' it means 'coat of arms'.

post-5983-0-51218900-1409649016_thumb.jpg

I knew I had a colour picture deep in the archives. I like this livery and the later Blue on the kings.

Just need some one to do the collett 1938 stock now and have it painted in the experimental plum and split milk livery as used on the Cornish Riviera and Bristolian.

If she has the garter crest then this is before her visit to the states so probably no, although they could fit the Westinghouse air pump on the smoke box door

6000's tender still had the garter crest when the bell was fitted. I guess this is what Hattons want to portray.

Not sure when the Westinghouse pump was removed.

(6000 was I believe the only King to get the garter crest, and was probably the last garter crest loco to appear from the works.)

Published shots show 6000, 1, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9 all in service with Garter crest on the tender. I suspect all the 6000-9 batch ran this way. The first ex works shot with crest I have is 6010.

Mike Wiltshire

Thanks, Mike. It seems the coat of arms, first seen c July 1925 I believe, took a bit longer to establish itself than I thought. Perhaps Swindon was using up its garter crest supplies! What you say is logical though - the first batch of ten 4000g tenders with garter crests being ready for their locos.

What those tenders looked like in those days is another matter though... (I must re-read some previous Star threads!)

The first six Kings had the initial bogie until they were quickly revised following the Midgham accident in August 1927. I think the revised bogie (with the coll springs) had become standard by the time the second batch (April 1928) started to appear.

Archived