Hattons announce OO Gauge King

Andy Y

Remember the scene from When Harry met Sally, yes, yes, OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH, yes.

Nice one Dave, preordered both KGV & 1361, which is literally in pieces about mile away.

Can't wait and the kids have already dobbed me in to their mother as she walked thro the door, but I couldn't wait until tomorrow when they go back to school.

didcot

Kernow don't say on their website from whom they have/are/will commission the class 41. They do specify the manufacturer for other commissions.

It seems to be in the DJ Models section of their website, so I would hazard a guess that you can add it to the long list of Dave's forthcoming models in your earlier post.

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone have any idea for how long the wartime unlined green livery would have lasted for in reality? As these locos were the pride of the company, I'm thinking that they would all have been lined out by the autumn of 1945 at the latest? Any insight into this would be appreciated as I want to pre-order two locos, but haven't settled for which two yet!

Thanks, 

CoY

Tired railway.Dirty locos.No cleaners.Shortages of everything,including cameras and film.Many adult males in the processes of demob.Hence few genuine skilled photographers and few places to publish them....yes,even shortage of paper to print on.

Any loco repainted was quickly re coated in liberal quantities of dirt.Sorry...

Tired railway.Dirty locos.No cleaners.Shortages of everything,including cameras and film.Many adult males in the processes of demob.Hence few genuine skilled photographers and few places to publish them....yes,even shortage of paper to print on.

Any loco repainted was quickly re coated in liberal quantities of dirt.Sorry...

Spot on Ian, despite lots of pretty images in pictorial books depicting pre-war glory on the Western (and highly polished GW artifacts in preservation), the late '40s period was a very shabby time. My maternal Grandparents used to travel in and out of Paddington regularly back then and told me how filthy almost everything looked, the locos and coaching stock more so but even some of the larger stations looked like the 'black hole of Calcutta' until repainting into WR chocolate and cream later on. Despite all of the grime they still looked upon the old company as being 'Great'. 

I thought digging out David Jenkinson's book 'The Big Four In Colour 1935-50' might throw some light on CoY's unlined green Kings but alas not - all five King photos show lined GWR liveries. I'm wondering now though if Kenneth Leech ever bagged photos of unlined Kings as he never went anywhere without hs camera.

• RMweb Gold

Seems a very reasonable price especially given the specification and when compared to other recently announced 'specials' - such as the Bachmann NRM Ivatt atlantic. Very very tempted to pre order though am struggling how to justify on an LMR themed late 50's-early 60's layout. Didn't stop me getting a Western tho :)

• RMweb Premium

Terrific news for sure, I have every confidence this will be a superb model. OK at the moment I haven't seen a model made by DJM yet but based on the Dapol models made under DJ's stewardship and the results achieved by the factory (assuming it will be the same factory) I think there is evidence enough to have a high degree of confidence that the product will be good. Personally I can't wait.

These are interesting times, it seems. For a start, we are on post 137 and no-one has moaned about the potential price of a King as shown on the Hattons website (£169), however approximate that may prove to be.

Also, I haven't seen it explained anywhere how DJModels are immune from all the manufacturing and supply problems that have troubled the established model railway companies in the UK, Europe and elsewhere, (ie, not just Hornby and Bachmann). Am I the only one who thinks this is all just a tiny bit too good to be true?

Having said all that, a sizeable number of my wishlist entries have now been announced, so I wish all concerned the best of luck, and just hope that the finished items don't all arrive at once, causing my credit card to implode.

These are interesting times, it seems. For a start, we are on post 137 and no-one has moaned about the potential price of a King as shown on the Hattons website (£169), however approximate that may prove to be.

implode.

Why should anyone moan about the price? The consumer has a lot of choice as far as a RTR King class goes:

you could buy an old Lima one,

You could buy a 1970s Hornby one,

You could buy 1990s Hornby tender drive one,

You could the detailed up loco drive Hornby

You may soon be able to buy yet another new tooled Hornby version ( whatever standard they may do that too if the Cad is what people think it is!)

And then you can order the Hattons DJ one

So there is a price and detail in RTR to match everyone's taste now unlike the C1 which is either top notch model or nothing.

• RMweb Gold

Great to see another positive step to support our hobby from Hattons with another manufacturer. As I now live too far away to touch 6024 on a regular basis, having a good model to run on my club (Waverley Model Railway Club), layouts I something I've longed for. 6024 was ordered last night and I'm sure I will weaken again and increase the stable. Recreating the pictures outside Swindon shed of new Kings would be good, just don't let the boss know!

Blimey, we've got a fictitious liveried version here already!

"HK01 GWR lined green with Great (roundel) Western on tender". Perhaps that really ought to read "Great (garter crest) Western"?

(yes, I know they also list HK03 with a shirtbutton...)  

A note on Hattons' insignia terminology:

- for their HK01 (6000), Hattons mean 'garter crest' and not 'roundel'. (6000 was I believe the only King to get the garter crest, and was probably the last garter crest loco to appear from the works.)

- for the other GWR versions, where Hattons say 'crest' or 'shield' it means 'coat of arms'.

As I thought...

But the driver is on the left...........

Oh b*gger - it's the wrong way round down west....................................... :jester:

Cheers,

Mick

No its the right way around...

GWR = Correct! :P

And at least the Western was consistent, unlike some other unmentioned lesser railways from not "down west" which couldn't make up their minds which side the driver stood or sat (but on the best railway the driver always stood, the seat was for when not driving).

No its the right way around...

GWR = Correct! :P

The last statement is open to dispute!! The smiley seems about right though for the smug followers of that railway.

It is interesting that, despite earlier posts indicating that the model's specification is not yet finalised, a price is already quoted on Hatton's website.

Along with Bachmann's  recent announcement of the planned model of an LNWR Coal Tank, is this also the start of a trend of advertising new models well in advance of production?

Along with Bachmann's  recent announcement of the planned model of an LNWR Coal Tank, is this also the start of a trend of advertising new models well in advance of production?

Hardly a new 'trend' I would think. Been going on for years, hasn't it? In this particular case though, there seems to be a race on between the Hattons/DJM and the as yet unconfirmed Hornby developments.

What sort of geartrain? If it's worm gears, then an opportunity has arguably been lost.

I don't agree. A decent worm will reduce the gear space compared to that taken by non-worm drives. And less gears means less noise. Gear efficiency (the ratio of output shaft to input shaft power) is not an issue in models - our modern motors have adequate power. Mechanical means alone, unless accompanied by huge flywheels like the old Formil ones, will not be able to replicate prototype momentum as well as programmable electronics, so I have never understood the alleged 'desirability' of back-drive capability. The key issue remains getting enough controllable torque from the motor at low revs. (That's why the ModelTorque ATC was always a design fallacy.)

• RMweb Premium

I've always wondered, and hopefully this is considered relevant to the thread, why did the King have a bogie like that ie Inside and outside wheel bearings? As far as I know its the only loco like that. What was the purpose?

I've always wondered, and hopefully this is considered relevant to the thread, why did the King have a bogie like that ie Inside and outside wheel barings? As far as I know its the only loco like that. What was the purpose?

The front wheels on the bogie had outside bearings, unlike the bogies on the other 4-cylinder 4-6-0 locos, because there was not enough room for the usual inside bearings to clear the much larger inside cylinders on the Kings. The rear wheels still had the inside bearings because while there was still room on the inside, they couldn't match it to the front because there was not enough clearance with the outside cylinders! 

As Copper cap states there was no enough room under the inside cylinders for the bogie. But which bogie?

At the time the King's were being designed so was a redesign of standard Churchward bogie.

ALL GWR 4-6-0's were going to be fitted with a new plate frame bogie (as seen later on the Hawksworth Halls) as the design weaknesses with the Churchward bogie was thought to be in the frames. This new plate frame bogie would not fit under the King cylinders,especially with reduced size driving wheels. NOTE a standard Churchward bogie as fitted to Stars, Castles etc would fit. During the construction stage of the Kings, after the bogie design we all know had been completed, it was discovered that the Churchward bogie weakness was actually with the diagonal bracing and a simple strengthing arrangement would cure the failures. The Churchward bogie design was rectfied and all existing bogies modified over time.

The plate frame design, that would not fit under a King, was filed and not used until Hawksworth took office when he incorporated it with the Counties and Modified Halls.

If this modification had been discovered a few months earlier the complex King bogie arrangement would have been redundant and all 30 would have been fitted with the same bogie as the Castles.

History lesson over

Mike Wiltshire

Archived