Hattons announce OO Gauge King

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

The models spec as been added now to the Hattons website and reads thus.Mouthwatering.

• RP25 wheel profiles
  • 21-pin DCC socket in tender with sound speaker enclosure
  • Researched and finely detailed livery variations
  • Chemically blackened wheels
  • Separatly fitted blackened handrails
  • NEM pockets with tension lock couplings
  • 5 pole coreless motor in 'locomotive' section with motor in boiler and gears in firebox
  • Fully detailed and painted cab interior
  • Brake pipes fitted to bufferbeams as standard
  • Easily removable bodyshells for maintenance and DCC fitting
  • Two correct chimney variants for specific liveries, locomotives and eras
  • Turned/lost wax brass safety valves and whisles
  • Etched brass, factory-fitted name and number plates
  • Opening smokebox door with with fully modelled smokebox interior
  • Additional detailing pack with separate oil lamps and headcode reporting numbers
  • Accurately modelled open frames with cosmetic valve gear
  • Close coupling mechanism between locomotive and tender
  • Sprung front bogie
  • Accurate cosmetic water scoop
  • Correct parallel or tapered sprung buffers as per prototype
  • Seperately factory-fitted drain cock detailing, oil lubricators and etched shedplate (where appropriate)
  • All wheel pickup
  • Weights within boiler for maximum adhesion
  • Fluted connecting rods with oily cosmetic finish

• RMweb Premium

This is the most interesting aspect for me. Their business has clearly been affected by lack of supply, thus the return to s/h dealing; and here's something more they are doing about it. The good timing of the Beyer-Garratt, arriving when supply from elsewhere was poor, is presumably providing the investment cash for this next venture.

I can see there's folks here keen for finer scale provision, but think carefully about Hattons' customer base. No hint in the announcement that it is anything but a regular RTR release, and that means R2 capability out of the box unless they specifically announce otherwise.

Yes well done Dave. But I admit that the most interesting part for me is the tie up on this project between Dave and Hattons, although I suppose he already has the same with Kernow. Design, manufacturing knowledge of Dave tieing up with sales and distribution channels of Hattons . Could be a force to be reckoned with , especially if this developed into a range . Hattons looking for things to sell, Dave looking for capital to fund projects . Could be good. Probably not for model shop proprietors though!

5 pole coreless motor in 'locomotive' section with motor in boiler and gears in firebox

Been wondering if we would see more of these cropping up in OO.

Close coupling mechanism between locomotive and tender

Is it really worthwhile? There's inevitably some free play, and a tender shouldn't really slop about relative to the loco. Bach's neat arrangement of a screw secured slide to set the spacing as close as the user's layout curves allow seems a better solution to me.

• RMweb Gold

Been wondering if we would see more of these cropping up in OO.

Is it really worthwhile? There's inevitably some free play, and a tender shouldn't really slop about relative to the loco. Bach's neat arrangement of a screw secured slide to set the spacing as close as the user's layout curves allow seems a better solution to me.

Well,we don't know what form this will take ,do we ? We have become so conditioned by the offerings from both Hornby and Bachmann that a little thinking outside the box is necessary.

Our continental HO colleagues such as Roco and Trix can show us the way here. A measure of inventiveness is required.It isn't beyond the bounds of possibility to improve on what we're used to...from one who finds some of Bachmann's loco to tender connections both crude and a damned nuisance.

The models spec as been added now to the Hattons website and reads thus.Mouthwatering.

• 5 pole coreless motor in 'locomotive' section with motor in boiler and gears in firebox

What sort of geartrain? If it's worm gears, then an opportunity has arguably been lost.

• RMweb Gold

Bach's neat arrangement of a screw secured slide to set the spacing as close as the user's layout curves allow seems a better solution to me.

A better solution than what? I don't think Dave has told us what his design is.

Overall the high spec is impressive for this model and I'm looking forward to seeing it in due course.

Why there hasn't been a decent King in N is a mystery to me. Well, Dave, I'm up for one when you decide to shrink it.

Considering Farish have done zero development on their Castle despite announcing it 16 months ago, I think there is a good chance Dave could pip them to the GWR-express-loco post if he did decide to do one. ;)

• RMweb Gold

Is this not the first time that an r-t-r model of a GWR/WR loco comes with fitted etched plates as standard ? This is the sort of thing that sets this prospect apart from any of its rivals.For me,totally essential.Sad for Modelmaster though.....Never mind,plenty of other locos to fit.I have to reflect what opportunities Hornby have squandered with the Star....even Lode Star...a Steam special

A note on Hattons' insignia terminology:

- for their HK01 (6000), Hattons mean 'garter crest' and not 'roundel'.

- for the other GWR versions, where Hattons say 'crest' or 'shield' it means 'coat of arms'.

Thank you Miss P. I'm glad I trawled through all five pages before asking that question.

I was quite confused by "GWR lined green with Great (roundel) Western on tender".

Does anyone have any idea for how long the wartime unlined green livery would have lasted for in reality? As these locos were the pride of the company, I'm thinking that they would all have been lined out by the autumn of 1945 at the latest? Any insight into this would be appreciated as I want to pre-order two locos, but haven't settled for which two yet!

Thanks, 

CoY

Dave, the King is evidently a very popular choice. Good luck with it, the more so since I will certainly purchase one.

You must be an extraordinarily busy man. I haven't done the sums but you appear to be working on almost as many newly tooled locomotive introductions as the big boys combined (at least as far as their 2014 announcements are concerned - not counting their development 'backlog').

Have I missed anything? (Or made a mistake here?)

Hudswell-Clarke 0-6-0ST
Q6 0-8-0
Class 59
Class 71
J94 0-6-0T

Kenow Adams O2 (and the Kernow LSWR push-pull sets)

Kernow GWR 1361 0-6-0ST

Hattons King 4-6-0

N
Churchward 63xx 2-6-0 GWR Mogul
Hudswell-Clarke 0-6-0ST
Q6 0-8-0
Class 59
J94 0-6-0T 

Class 17 'Clayton' Locomotive

Class 23 – ‘Baby Deltic’

O
J94
Class 23 - 'Baby Deltic'

Is this not the first time that an r-t-r model of a GWR/WR loco comes with fitted etched plates as standard ? This is the sort of thing that sets this prospect apart from any of its rivals.For me,totally essential.Sad for Modelmaster though.....Never mind,plenty of other locos to fit.I have to reflect what opportunities Hornby have squandered with the Star....even Lode Star...a Steam special

The N gauge Ixion Manor released in 2010 had factory fitted etched name/number plates according to the reviews published at the time.

Andy

Does anyone have any idea for how long the wartime unlined green livery would have lasted for in reality? As these locos were the pride of the company, I'm thinking that they would all have been lined out by the autumn of 1945 at the latest? Any insight into this would be appreciated as I want to pre-order two locos, but haven't settled for which two yet!

Thanks, 

CoY

Remember the cabside windows were plated over during wartime. The model may/should have this feature.

MW

Dave, the King is evidently a very popular choice. Good luck with it, the more so since I will certainly purchase one.

You must be an extraordinarily busy man. I haven't done the sums but you appear to be working on almost as many newly tooled locomotive introductions as the big boys combined (at least as far as their 2014 announcements are concerned - not counting their development 'backlog').

Hudswell-Clarke 0-6-0ST

Q6 0-8-0

Class 59

Class 71

J94 0-6-0T

Kenow Adams O2 (and the Kernow LSWR push-pull sets)

Kernow GWR 1361 0-6-0ST

Hattons King 4-6-0

N

Churchward 63xx 2-6-0 GWR Mogul

Hudswell-Clarke 0-6-0ST

Q6 0-8-0

Class 59

J94 0-6-0T 

Class 17 'Clayton' Locomotive

Class 23 – ‘Baby Deltic’

O

J94

Class 23 - 'Baby Deltic'

I think I must be getting very confused. I am finding it hard to remember who is doing what! Who is developing the USA Tank and the D6xx warships?

Have we ever had a time with so many new projects "on the go" in this hobby?

Need to start a spreadsheet I think.................

• RMweb Gold

What sort of geartrain? If it's worm gears, then an opportunity has arguably been lost.

Spur gears (as fitted to Portescaps etc) are all fine and dandy until you need to halt a train on a gradient - it won't stay there! Guess how I know this.  

Add working brakes to the list please Dave. :jester:

They also have a nasty tendency to whine once the speed gets up though DCC sound would help hide that.

John

I haven't done the sums but you appear to be working on almost as many newly tooled locomotive introductions as the big boys combined (at least as far as their 2014 announcements are concerned - not counting their development 'backlog').

00... N....O....

Thank you Oz. Very useful. I was thinking the same.

Has anyone done the math? I'd love to see a full list, drawn together from all the manufacturers, of what actually has been promised and isn't out yet.

I think this would be surprisingly long...

I think I must be getting very confused. I am finding it hard to remember who is doing what! Who is developing the USA Tank and the D6xx warships?

The USA Tank is here. (Bachmann by the way.)

Kernow don't say on their website from whom they have/are/will commission the class 41. They do specify the manufacturer for other commissions.

• RMweb Premium

Why there hasn't been a decent King in N is a mystery to me. Well, Dave, I'm up for one when you decide to shrink it.

It's a good job my proposed N gauge layout is based on a Cornish location

in the time when Kings were banned on the Royal Albert Bridge or I would be very tempted too

Does anyone have any idea for how long the wartime unlined green livery would have lasted for in reality?

Difficult to assess. August 1945 and thereafter was a time when the country was drawing breath, and whilst lining was back on the painting agenda, it would have been applied only to locos having a significant works visit (intermediate or heavy). I very much doubt these much needed locos were dragged off revenue service purely for the sake of a re-instated painting policy. I take your point about Kings being pride of the fleet, but this probably manifested itself more in terms of cleanliness rather than contemporary painting specification. You'll be lucky to find sufficient 1945-8 pics good enough to prove the point one way or another in respect of the generality of the whole class.

Archived