Hattons announce OO Gauge King

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

I'm pretty sure that's not an image of the real king, surely that's the real one on Hornby's Facebook page?

Or are we talking about false prophets here? Lol

Love me tender? - surely it is all box cars and cabooses in that picture. Not a 4000 gallon in sight.

A little  off the  actual topic,  but  a bit  spooky  dont you  think,.....?

My wife ordered  me  to  go  into  our  loft  today, to  find 'that  train picture which  i think will suit  my  current  decor'  so off I went  and  found the  picture  which has  not  seen  the  light  of  day  for  several  years!  I had  forgotten  we  had  it!

Its  now  up on  the  wall  and I have  to  admit  it   doesn't  look too bad!!

What  a  day  this  has  been  a  WR King  on  the  wall,  and  a  Typhoon/Eurofighter  circling  above  us  for  25 mins. this  afternoon!

post-10539-0-08278600-1409864163.jpg

post-10539-0-49995900-1409864175.jpg

OOOH  how  I  wish!!  No  its  just  a  print  on a sort of  Hardboard  type  material,  We  bought  it around  1979  from  Boots  who had  a largish  store  at  the  bottom  end  of  Market  Street in   Manchester at  that  time.  It  cost  around  £25 which  was  quite  a lot  35 yrs  ago.

Its  dated October  1970   and  the  MOUSE  is just below  the rail almost directly  vertically down from  the loco's Left hand  Buffer

EDIT  FOR MOUSE  PIC!!

post-10539-0-14392300-1409865482.jpg

• RMweb Gold

A little  off the  actual topic,  but  a bit  spooky  dont you  think,.....?

My wife ordered  me  to  go  into  our  loft  today, to  find 'that  train picture which  i think will suit  my  current  decor'  so off I went  and  found the  picture  which has  not  seen  the  light  of  day  for  several  years!  I had  forgotten  we  had  it!

Its  now  up on  the  wall  and I have  to  admit  it   doesn't  look too bad!!

What  a  day  this  has  been  a  WR King  on  the  wall,  and  a  Typhoon/Eurofighter  circling  above  us  for  25 mins. this  afternoon!

What had you done to attract the attention of the RAF?  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

I sent Hattons an E-Mail asking if they had plans for an N Gauge version.....

They said 'We have no plans to commission a GWR King in N Gauge, but that does not mean to say that would be completely ruled out in the future'

Im hoping they will

Rich

There are now artist impressions on every model in colour so you can see how the model will be

King George V has no bell in the picture so it must be from before 1927 also single chimney

definetly pre war livery,

Ordered this one, King Henry V and King Richard II , Hopefully three Kings from the east arrount X-mas 2015 :jester:

No. 6000 carried its Bell from October 1927 when presented at the Ohio and Baltimore Railroad celebrations.

She was released to service on 29th June 1927, so was Bell-less for only 3-4 months, and as she left for the USA in August, was only without bell on GWR metals for 1-2 months.

I'd be very surprised if the model of 6000 was without its iconic Bell (and the medals) ... even if it was as an extra to fit oneself.

• RMweb Gold

One more for Miss P (proving I should have looked at my own postcard collection before starting on 70 year old magazines ) 

6021 with plated cab side window - angle of view gives no clues about tender livery, painting or lining.  I shall continue looking but thus the only wartime photos of 'Kings' I have run to earth (both by Maurice Earley) have them with plated cab side windows.

• RMweb Gold

There are now artist impressions on every model in colour so you can see how the model will be

King George V has no bell in the picture so it must be from before 1927 also single chimney

definetly pre war livery,

Ordered this one, King Henry V and King Richard II , Hopefully three Kings from the east arrount X-mas 2015 :jester:

Has anyone counted the spokes on the relevant wheels.Strange things happen if you don't. :jester:

Very nice, very helpful, even if it doesn't answer details like the bell on KGV, this is an improvement over the original 'text only' descriptions.

I also note much improved text descriptions that now include variants in steam pipes, buffers (tapered or parallel) and chimneys (single or double).

Well done Hattons and DJModels!

It is very encouraging and reassuring. This is far superior announcement collateral regarding the intended overall appearance of the model than the black and white in service photographs (often in a completely different livery) that are often the only illustration in the Hornby and Bachmann catalogues when products are first announced with a livery description solely consisting of "GWR green".

• RMweb Gold

HK07 says tapered buffers but shows parallel buffers.

I think the only answer with buffers is to look for dated photos - for example

HK11 6017 shown as late livery, tapered buffers was in exactly that condition in 1957

HK12 6026 shown as late livery, parallel buffers was still running with taper buffers in 1958 (in late livery)

HK13 6005 shown as late livery, parallel buffers, was in exactly that condition in 1962

HK14 6024 shown as late livery, parallel buffers 'As Preserved' still had  taper buffers in 1957 but otherwise in the same condition (complete with late crest).

HK 15 6000 shown as 1971 condition was still running with taper buffers in 1959 but had parallel ones before it was withdrawn,

And among that lot there are two which suit my needs I reckon.

I also note much improved text descriptions that now include variants in steam pipes, buffers (tapered or parallel) and chimneys (single or double).

HK07 says tapered buffers but shows parallel buffers.

Picky, picky picky :)

It demonstrates how difficult it is to get all the details right and clearly communicate what punters can expect. I appreciate the attempt to communicate even if imperfect.

It's much better to do that now when there is opportunity to ask clarifying questions and there might be opportunity for course corrections rather than a surprise unveiling at the end that results in 'ooops'.

Already pre-ordered a BR late crest job but since I'm on the verge of putting together a c1949/50 mixed rake of passenger stock I'm seriously tempted by one of the early BR period offerings. Said combo won't really be for a layout, more as a display piece once my back room 'modelling space' is replastered, decorated and shelved. Despite the post-war gloom, Paddington must have been a strangely colourful place back then with blue Kings, a smattering of chocolate & cream remnants with 'W' prefixed running numbers amongst the passenger rolling stock, with newly painted blood & custard examples in the mix. Nigh on irresistable!

I knew I should have left those Jim Russell carriage books in the box last week... ;)

Archived