Dobwalls

hayfield

We were in Cornwall a week or so a go and whilst driving around a familiar place name came up Dobwalls, which brought back memories of 30 years ago

For 2 or 3 years whilst my daughter was very young we went to  stay in Cawsand and visited a railway at an old pig farm in Dobwalls, from memory there were two different circles and was a great day out

I understand that it closed 10 or so years ago, and have a feeling the locos went off to Australia

that is right, a great shame as I also had fond memories of visiting there when I was a kid and taking my son there a few yeasr ago as well. I was gutted to hear that it had closed!! I can't help thinking that it was a severely missed opportunity allowing it to close, not just fthe railway but for all the other attractions and activities on offer at the site.

I believe you are correct that the locomotives went abroad and yes, sems that they did travel a long way -

http://www.westparleyminiaturerailway.co.uk/history.html

Australia is mentioned here!

Best wishes

Simon

• RMweb Premium

I think this featured in the New English part work Model and Miniature Railways. I remember being fascinated by it. I think they had miniature liners in the lake too. One as like the Southern Cross. Such a shame to gear it closed down

Sorry to disagree but there is no road over the site of the attraction, just have a look at Google Earth, The site is a mile or so North of the village whereas the main road (A38) storms through the middle of the village itself.

From what I read, it seems like financial issues caused the closure for a redevelopment as batch of leisure lodges which then also failed to materialise.

Massive shame!!

Simon

This brings back some great memories. I only visited it once with friends who had a young son but remember that despite being 7 1/4 inch it somehow captured the feeling of a heavy main line railroad in a way that other theoretically equivalent miniature railways don't. I think we managed a trip on both routes and was very impressed by the way it packed so much route length into a fairly small site. You passed through the main station on different tracks several times and it was a real spaghetti bowl.  Sad that it closed down.  

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to disagree but there is no road over the site of the attraction, just have a look at Google Earth, The site is a mile or so North of the village whereas the main road (A38) storms through the middle of the village itself.

From what I read, it seems like financial issues caused the closure for a redevelopment as batch of leisure lodges which then also failed to materialise.

Massive shame!!

Simon

The old A38 does go through the village, the new bypass is about a mile further north...

• RMweb Gold

I think inland Cornwall struggles to get the number of visitors it needs - everyone is hell-bent on seeing the coast! I also felt it might have had a link with the US-centred model shop in Bodmin, to the benefit of both. I think we rode it a couple of times.

• RMweb Gold

I have a feeling that some or one of the loco's went to a miniature railway nr Bournemouth airport.

Sort of correct, but only part of the story.

The locos were sold to the Plowmans Railroad, which was part of the Plowmans Garden Centre near Bournemouth airport. There were numerous issues with planning permission, which lead to the locos being sold to the West Parley Miniature Engineering Society in Australia.

Very sad indeed, as I would have liked the locos to have stayed in this country. However its simply the case that he with the biggest wallet wins.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

The West Parley Miniature Engineering Society is not in Australia, it is in the UK.  The ex Dobwalls locomotives are in Australia, privately owned and currently in safe storage on their owners property outside Melbourne.  It would be fair to say that several of the locomotives were in need of work when they were purchased, I understand from a friend who did some work on them since arrival that the Big Boy has had a boiler retube, however is still not in ideal condition although it has been run.

At the time of purchasing the locomotives the intention was to build a railway for them on the property here, however, subsequent issues have, at this stage, prevented this from being done.

For those concerned I can assure you they're in safe hands, albeit not currently running in a location where they can be enjoyed by others.

Cheers

Ian J

• 2 months later...

I think this featured in the New English part work Model and Miniature Railways. I remember being fascinated by it. I think they had miniature liners in the lake too. One as like the Southern Cross. Such a shame to gear it closed down

You're thinking of http://www.miniaturerailwayworld.com/Stapleford.html Stapleford Miniature Railway in Leicestershire ... see my youtube footage taken on a visit in 1978 where the liners appear 01:48 onwards https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKBLnLXflIE ... I also have several films of Dobwalls posted on my youtube channel :)

I saw the Centennial at Great Dorset Steam Fayre a few years ago. Didn't quite sound the same with  a petrol car engine.

The guy running it said many items were going to Australia after the Bournemouth venture didn't materialise.

Kev S

Archived