Heljan GWR 1366 0-6-0 Pannier Tank

Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Gold

So the 1366 chimney wasn't like the 64xx and the other 'flat-topped' tanks?

Here's a cruel enlargement of the 64xx chimney (Lionheart, from a Chris Klein's Cwm Bach pic):

attachicon.gif64xx-chimney-aperture.jpg

It doesn't look like it in the photos I've been able to examine but none of them have been blown up to that degree.

Just as a matter of interest, how have Bachmann dealt with it on their 64xx?

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

A short video taking a look at the Heljan Stand, during the Warley National Model Railway Exhibition.

On show, as well a huge display of current production models, was a number of up and coming and prototypes, including the all 009 L&B Manning Wardle 2-6-2T's, 0 gauge GWR 61xx Large Prairie's, 00 gauge British Rail Class 07's, plus much, much more.

Filmed Saturday 26th November 2016, we take a closer look at these new models, plus more. 

Hope you enjoy!

post-20663-0-86594500-1481101374_thumb.jpg

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 3

Just a shame they all appear to be exactly the same in the case of the 1361s - so rather unlike the real members of the class with their numerous differences.

Which ones have errors that I should look out for on?  I've ordered no. 1366 shirtbutton, anything I should look out for on that one?

• RMweb Gold

Which ones have errors that I should look out for on?  I've ordered no. 1366 shirtbutton, anything I should look out for on that one?

The main thing which varied on the 1366s (and it changed over the years) was the way the injector overflow pipes were run.  You really need a dated photo in order to check for a particular loco as some definitely changed over the years..

Oddly the route of the injector overflow pipe was not something which varied wildly on the 1361s (unlike various other parts of them)

• RMweb Premium

Helajn_1366_1.jpg

Helajn_1366_2.jpg

that looks great Andy. the RTR modellers of this world are very lucky to have such quality and effort thrown into new releases. I do hope Heljan don't read this thread, the level of criticism might make anyone throw the towel in.

Andy

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It's instantly recognisable as a 1366, which is the main thing. The detail differences were relatively minor and, as Mike points out, varied over time on the same loco.

Even for someone who want's a model of a particular loco at an exact time, it's a damn good starting point.  

Few of us would expect even a top class kit to include all the parts necessary to model every member of a class at any point in their careers so isn't it a little unfair to expect it in a r-t-r model?

OK, Hornby are getting pretty close to doing so for Adams Radials, but only for the BR period. Despite the prototypes being some of the best documented and most photographed locos around in the 1950s, the odd minor error has slipped through. I certainly can't envisage them ever attempting to cover all the possible SR and LSWR permutations.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

that looks great Andy. the RTR modellers of this world are very lucky to have such quality and effort thrown into new releases. I do hope Heljan don't read this thread, the level of criticism might make anyone throw the towel in.

Andy

Teflon man rules fortunately. Not all prospective purchasers of model railways are members of this forum in any case.Varying degrees of "influence" apply,I would think. That said the O2 development was in many ways thanks to several RMWeb members.I think they did a fine job.

Yesterday we went to Chinnor and found this on loan.  I can't resist posting these pictures, although they don't really answer the queries on here.  I suppose the suggestion is that, if the shape of the chimney offends, attach a suitable headboard? :) My only real query was whether or not the angle of the cylinders was quite right on the model, but this is something that can't be answered from photographs, which inevitably tend to distort such things unless taken from absolutely side on.  The seams on the tanks are definitely there, although probably not quite as prominent as on the model?

As previously noted, I remember these tanks from my very early years visiting Weymouth.  As an inveterate "box-opener", I seem mostly to be attracted to those models that represent types that I saw/cabbed/rode on.  I'm afraid that I think the Heljan model captures the general look of the locomotive sufficiently for me to want to buy one!

post-18453-0-33706500-1482141087_thumb.jpg

post-18453-0-33868200-1482141103_thumb.jpg

post-18453-0-26744700-1482141112_thumb.jpg

Edited by Froxfield2012
  • Like 12

My only real query was whether or not the angle of the cylinders was quite right on the model, but this is something that can't be answered from photographs, which inevitably tend to distort such things unless taken from absolutely side on.

The cylinder axis should align with the centre axle.

The cylinder axis should align with the centre axle.

Indeed it should.  And in the side view of the model in Post #115 things look OK.  But in Andy Y's picture in Post #121, the slidebars in particular look very close to the horizontal.  In the picture I posted in #124 the slant of cylinder and slidebar is very apparent.  This may all be down to photo angle!  I was not judging but there was that question in my mind.

Hmmm. Does anyone else think that these are badly finished?

Paint flaking off the cylinders and running plate, a cabside not flush against the running plate and wonky bunker side handrails on this one

A giant thumbprint on the smokebox door, a chip in the r/h side of the chimney and a clearly not-flush bunker side against the running plate on this one.

Black marks on the buffer shanks, paint flaking off the cylinders and running plate, r/h side cab and bunker clearly not flush on this one

Strangely the BR ones look better, but even then the l/h tank handrail is bent where in connects onto the cabside on this one.

I really want 1370 but the Rails photo samples inspire little confidence. It's also a lot of sheets for what is a small tank engine and there's no excuse for such poor QC at that price. Not QC as such but the GWR liveries seem to have strange, garish almost 'comic book' style print for the repective lettering - nothing like the Hornby or Bachmann equivalent. 

One wonders if these have been rushed to market in time for Christmas...

CoY

• RMweb Gold

I really want 1370 but the Rails photo samples inspire little confidence. It's also a lot of sheets for what is a small tank engine and there's no excuse for such poor QC at that price. Not QC as such but the GWR liveries seem to have strange, garish almost 'comic book' style print for the repective lettering - nothing like the Hornby or Bachmann equivalent. 

One wonders if these have been rushed to market in time for Christmas...

CoY

It looks that way and the GWR lettering looks too big to my eyes and is it me or is the middle driver sitting higher than the outer sets.

My they look bad, look at the balance wieght on the Shirt button and the GWR one, all over the place.

Sorry was going to get one of these for Weymounth shed, but seeing the paint job on them has put me right off, if this is what there offering for £122.50, They need to sort these out.

Look at the cab where it joins the bunker, gee, what going on here, did a child assemble it?.

I can see these hitting the buffers if none of these faults are sorted out.

Darren

post-6929-0-30941800-1482186466_thumb.jpg

Edited by darren01

• RMweb Premium

Just looked at images of the prototype... I can't see what your point is about the balance weight, please explain.

Maybe I'm misreading the first sentence?

If Weymouth needs one, looks like it will have to be a kit and burnt fingers.

Andy