Heljan GWR 1366 0-6-0 Pannier Tank

Ozexpatriate

It looks to me as though the two BR locos 1367 and 1368 carry the shed code 85E and 85F respectively:  ?Gloucester and Bromsgrove?  I don't think it was ever the Weymouth shed code (?82F?).  Presumably, no Weymouth shed code, no bell? 

But I do notice that Rails only claimed that the locos were "on their way" and "due in stock on 20th December.  So perhaps these aren't actual pictures of their stock on the website?

Questions, questions.

• RMweb Gold

It looks to me as though the two BR locos 1367 and 1368 carry the shed code 85E and 85F respectively:  ?Gloucester and Bromsgrove?  I don't think it was ever the Weymouth shed code (?82F?).  Presumably, no Weymouth shed code, no bell? 

But I do notice that Rails only claimed that the locos were "on their way" and "due in stock on 20th December.  So perhaps these aren't actual pictures of their stock on the website?

Questions, questions.

Weymouth was 'WEY' under the GWR coding system and became 82F after nationalisation finishing up as 71G after transfer to the SR. 1366s were also allocated in the BR period, at various times, to Swindon and Taunton (neither of which were in tehh85 group of sheds).

Easy enough to get hold of a replacement shed plate of course but somewhat sloppy work on Heljan's part getting seemingly wrong codes in the first place.

Yesterday we went to Chinnor and found this on loan. 

post-18453-0-33706500-1482141087_thumb.j

I note that they've got the 'cycling lion' on the left tank side facing backwards! Oops! These always faced forwards. When the later 'ferret & dartboard' heraldic crest came out, BR incorrectly used left-facing and right-facing ones, with them always facing the front, until advised that only left-facing ones were permitted. Plenty of photographic evidence of incorrect 'ferret & dartboards', but this is a first (for me) of an incorrectly-applied 'cycling lion'! 

Edited by Coppercap

• RMweb Gold

They clearly look as if they are pre-production models with that amount of paint damage and poor finish, they appear to be better finished in a photo of several on a workbench in the Hornby mag.

Hello

The latest email that I have had from Rails on the two that I have ordered yesterday, 1368 and 1369, is that they have been despatched on Royal Mail 48hr, so I hope to have these on Thursday.

Though I will only give them a quick check when they arrive, as I will have to wait until Christmas Day before I can run them. 

Thanks

SEEYA
ANT

The photos on Kernow's website have them looking much better, those photos on rails are hopefully just unfortunate.  Out of the major retailers it's only Hatton's who don't seem to have received theirs just yet.  Looking forward to it.

Edited by GWR8700

Out of the major retailers it's only Hatton's who don't seem to have received theirs just yet. 

Typical, guess where i ordered mine from, still, SHMBO informs me that her H&P Peckett is in the post so we should have something to play with on Xmas day.

• Like 1

I am lucky to have a 4mm 'pre-production' CSP 1367 built for me by the late Roger Slade.

I will take photos and post this evening.

Due to the sad passing of Roger, criticism if any should be constructive.  Many thanks

Roger also built the GWR saddle tanks 1143 and 1144 from his kits for me - beautiful small models.  

Thanks, Ian Bradford 

The photos on Kernow's website have them looking much better, those photos on rails are hopefully just unfortunate.  Out of the major retailers it's only Hatton's who don't seem to have received theirs just yet.  Looking forward to it.

Hattons now showing them as in stock and I've had an e-mail that my pre order has been payment processed, awaiting picking and packing.

• Like 1

Rails and Kernow suggest a 6pin DCC socket.  Hattons seem to think it's an 8 pin socket.  It would be good to know which is right before ordering?

Some of the Hattons pictures seem to show similar poor fit of the cab assembly as those used by Rails.  I am looking forward to comment here from someone who has seen the actual models! 

Yesterday we went to Chinnor and found this on loan. 

post-18453-0-33706500-1482141087_thumb.j

I note that they've got the 'cycling lion' on the left tank side facing backwards! Oops! These always faced forwards. When the later 'ferret & dartboard' heraldic crest came out, BR incorrectly used left-facing and right-facing ones, with them always facing the front, until advised that only left-facing ones were permitted. Plenty of photographic evidence of incorrect 'ferret & dartboards', but this is a first (for me) of an incorrectly-applied 'cycling lion'! 

And it appears to be of recent origin.  YouTube video at South Devon Railway in September 2016 shows this lion facing forward.  An October 2016 video shows a blank side to the tank:  presumably a repaint in course!

I can't find the old thread now, but there was a discussion a while ago regarding the colour of the front of the tanks, the debate focusing on the picture of 1366 new out of the works in February 1934. My own opinion is that, even if 1366 did appear with green-fronted tanks, it would have been spotted as a mistake, and would have been rectified, along with the painting of the rest of the class, either immediately or at the first repaint.

The SDR is notorious for the inauthenticity of its liveries.

Hello All

My two 1368 and 1369 arrived today.

Just checked them over before they have to get wrapped up from Christmas, I think they look good.

I have attached some photos, not great, along with one showing the accessory pack, which has a BELL!

post-7053-0-06109700-1482333059_thumb.jpg

post-7053-0-77608100-1482333072_thumb.jpg

post-7053-0-99531100-1482333088_thumb.jpg

post-7053-0-26326900-1482333100_thumb.jpg

post-7053-0-08382200-1482333123_thumb.jpg

Thanks

SEEYA
ANT

• Like 9

I have attached some photos, not great, along with one showing the accessory pack, which has a BELL!

.... as used by the prototype on the Weymouth harbour tramway.

Heljan don't do buffers too well, do they?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk

• RMweb Gold

Regards,

John Isherwood.

In my view they look better than the one's on Hatton's 14xx so let's agree to disagree . :beee:

• RMweb Gold

Regards,

John Isherwood.

It might be the angle of view (but it might not) and they are pretty tiny in reality of course.

The injector looks a bit 'representative' and some of the proportions of the pipe and operating valve rod seem to be the wrong way round.

Typical, guess where i ordered mine from, still, SHMBO informs me that her H&P Peckett is in the post so we should have something to play with on Xmas day.

1368 in the post, Hopefully santas little helpers (Royal Mail 2 day untracked ) will get them here for the big day.