Heljan GWR 1366 0-6-0 Pannier Tank

Ozexpatriate

Interesting.

I have not studied the prototypes at all, since I really cannot justify one (as I mentioned on ANTB, it would be a case of 1362 trundling light engine across the scene on the way to Swindon).

Just in case I weakened, I would be looking at 1362 in the first half of 1935, though, as a fairly low priority, I have not sought out pictures of same.

Nice to see both classes as the subject of RTR models.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting.

I have not studied the prototypes at all, since I really cannot justify one (as I mentioned on ANTB, it would be a case of 1362 trundling light engine across the scene on the way to Swindon).

Just in case I weakened, I would be looking at 1362 in the first half of 1935, though, as a fairly low priority, I have not sought out pictures of same.

Nice to see both classes as the subject of RTR models.

1362 was another 'odd one out' in the class (where in fact it looks like only two were exactly the same as each other[?] in later years).  The most obvious 'different' ones were 1363 and 1362 and they were, of course, also different from each other  - well it was the GWR.

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Gold

Hattons has new pics of the other 1366 panniers aswell as the 1361 saddle tanks.

Are these the actual Heljan production models as delivered to the shops?

If so, I must confess myself a bit disappointed to see the gaps/joints between the various cab components, on both locomotives. This is one of the (few) failings of the Bachmann 8750 pannier as well, in my view.

You just don't get that on a decent kit-built loco, as evidenced by Robin's example in this thread.

According to Heljan's Facebook page, factory production is completed with shipping from China imminent:

"The Pannier Tank (class 1366) is ready to be shipped out from China this coming Saturday. This goes for the following numbers:

• 1320 GWR 1366 in green with monogram logo
  • 1321 GWR 1369 in green with GREAT WESTERN lettering
  • 1322 GWR 1370 in green with G W R lettering
  • 1323 BR 1367 in black with early 'lion & wheel' quest
  • 1324 BR 1368 in black with late 'lion & wheel' quest

Arriving Denmark late November / early December in time for Christmas 1f603.png

https://www.facebook.com/heljanas/photos/pcb.1269385739790956/1269374756458721/?type=3&theater

Each has a SRP of £159,95 each.

The remaining ones (class 1361) will be ready one month later!"

https://www.facebook.com/heljanas/

I have to say that in terms of knowing in advance what to expect, this company's pre-release communications takes the form of "surprise".

Perhaps they have it right. Maybe it's the right strategy to communicate exactly what you are making and when it will be avaialble, but only once very close to production. There's no confusion that way. (I don't really care for it, but there are some advantages.)

Despite the sticker shock, 1369 appeals greatly. (Interestingly, less VAT and with current exchange rates it works out to about $160.  Of course I will pay postage on top of that.)

Edited by Ozexpatriate

1362 was another 'odd one out' in the class (where in fact it looks like only two were exactly the same as each other[?] in later years).  The most obvious 'different' ones were 1363 and 1362 and they were, of course, also different from each other  - well it was the GWR.

Intriguing ....

• RMweb Gold

If so, I must confess myself a bit disappointed to see the gaps/joints between the various cab components, on both locomotives. This is one of the (few) failings of the Bachmann 8750 pannier as well, in my view.

You just don't get that on a decent kit-built loco, as evidenced by Robin's example in this thread.

Agree.Something appears awry with the assembly of cab and bunker. Are these production or pre production samples ? Edited by Ian Hargrave

Hello

I am too wondering if these photos on the Hattons website of 1369 (as preserved) are the production models, as looking at the items that are on the running board, of the small box above the piston, the toolbox above the middle wheel and the rectangular shape piece that I believe is something to do with the bell should all be in green, not in black.  I base this on photos that I have taken of the loco and ones on the net, plus the drawing on the Heljan website shows these in green.

Thanks

SEEYA
ANT

Edited by ANT

If so, I must confess myself a bit disappointed to see the gaps/joints between the various cab components, on both locomotives. This is one of the (few) failings of the Bachmann 8750 pannier as well, in my view.....

I'd be even more interested in the quality of the motor and drivetrain.....

Hello

I am too wondering if these photos on the Hattons website of 1369 (as preserved) are the production models, as looking at the items that are on the running board, of the small box above the piston, the toolbox above the middle wheel and the rectangular shape piece that I believe is something to do with the bell should all be in green, not in black.  I base this on photos that I have taken of the loco and ones on the net, plus the drawing on the Heljan website shows these in green.

Thanks

SEEYA

ANT

The small box above the front driving wheel is the front left sanbox, which should match the colour of the livery along with the toolbox.

The bell on the 1366 class is located above the fireman side injector

• RMweb Premium

This does look nice... taken from the Hattons site £124 but of course, was it shredded in the Reading / London area? I doubt it, I'm not close to my railway books at the moment.

http://www.hattons.co.uk/96019/Heljan_1320_Class_1366_0_6_0PT_1366_in_GWR_green_with_shirtbutton/StockDetail.aspx

post-6981-0-73292600-1478414007.jpg

• RMweb Gold

This does look nice... taken from the Hattons site £124 but of course, was it shredded in the Reading / London area? I doubt it, I'm not close to my railway books at the moment.

http://www.hattons.co.uk/96019/Heljan_1320_Class_1366_0_6_0PT_1366_in_GWR_green_with_shirtbutton/StockDetail.aspx

attachicon.gifIMG_0806.JPG

Don't know about GWR days but throughout much of their BR careers, the allocation was 1366 at Taunton, 1367/8 at Weymouth and 1369 at Swindon. The latter joined her sisters at Weymouth in 1960 and all three moved on to Wadebridge in 1962 as replacements for the Beattie Well tanks.

The Taunton loco was the earliest to be withdrawn in January 1961.

John

EDIT: See next two posts.

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

According to the BR database, 1370 was withdrawn in January 1960, and 1371 followed in November 1960. Both of these were at Weymouth latterly I believe?

Cheers from Oz,

Peter  C.

Apologies. In my earlier post, I completely ignored those two locos!

1370 was withdrawn from Weymouth.

1371 is still listed as being at Swindon in the Summer 1960 issue of the Locoshed book, which lists WR allocations to April 23rd and SR to May 6th. If 1371 was sent to Weymouth, it evidently didn't last long there, presumably being displaced by Drewry diesels (later Class 04) which were arriving on the Southern Region by then.  

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Weymouth's first allocation of the class was in 1935 with number 1367, followed in 1939 by 1371 which returned to Swindon in 1947. The allocation at end 1947 was 1367/1368/1370 and these are the only three that appear in BR-era photos at Weymouth. For work on the Weymouth Quay line the engines required steam heating and a bell so it's likely that these four were the only ones allocated. 

Edited by dpgibbons

• 3 weeks later...

Was fortunate enough to have a good look at Heljans 1366 class, 1369 in particular. the level of fine detail is absolutely top notch and has really good weight to it. i can see this being a bit of a pig to fit with DCC sound.

Only major gripe in my view is the coupling rods etc are black when they should be silvery metal colour and it was confirmed that they are all like this.

• RMweb Gold

Shouldn't the chimney base be in a hole in the tank top?

It probably is but the flared "base" is definitely there in prototype photos so I presume it is part of the top cladding intended to tidy everything up and prevent the cavity filling with soot etc. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

What no bell?  Will one be in the accessories to add?

Now seriously..... Andy Y those are, as usual, excellent pictures.  Thank you.  Particularly as I found it difficult to get a good view of such a small model.  But, just because it is so small, it emphasises just how much larger the picture is on my computer screen than the model itself.  Just look at the size of some of the inevitable dust particles!  We are so cruel to " tear models apart" on the basis of such enlargements don't you think?  Although I must concede that the weld lines on the tanks are really not visible on the only picture I have of 1368 on Weymouth boat train duty.  This is one of my father's earliest shots (from July 1951) and is far from perfect.   It is a better photograph of the first coach than 1368, which has almost escaped!  But good atmosphere?

post-18453-0-59331100-1480411877.jpg

• Like 9