Heljan GWR 1366 0-6-0 Pannier Tank

Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Premium

Looking at all critics and looking back to a few older UK models I have - without some innovation from companies like Heljan the 00 model would probably be still in the pancake motor stage...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've just spent a few hours tracing the fault on a brand new £320 German model, the motor retainer didn't retain the motor! Carpet tape applied and now a great running model :)

I've identified and photographed the problem and sent it to the manufacturer as it seems there's an assembly issue unless they are all like this and there's nothing to actually clip it into!

• RMweb Premium

I've just spent a few hours tracing the fault on a brand new £320 German model, the motor retainer didn't retain the motor! Carpet tape applied and now a great running model :)

I've identified and photographed the problem and sent it to the manufacturer as it seems there's an assembly issue unless they are all like this and there's nothing to actually clip it into!

Paul, I would be careful with any adhesive tape - especially when in close proximity to the motor = temperature higher than ambient. In a few years time this may not work any more - either falling into pieces or changing into some sticky goo (softener migration). But probably this is your temporary solution until the manufacturer comes back with some replacement or upgrading.

• RMweb Gold

Paul, I would be careful with any adhesive tape - especially when in close proximity to the motor = temperature higher than ambient. In a few years time this may not work any more - either falling into pieces or changing into some sticky goo (softener migration). But probably this is your temporary solution until the manufacturer comes back with some replacement or upgrading.

You're correct I'm going to secure it with silicon but I've run out. This is temporary but proved it was a simple fault. There's a lot of banging on about the loss of proper modelling but people seem unprepared to accept the slightest issue or look for a solution. I accept that these are mass produced and assembly faults occur plus some design faults don't appear until the loco has been shaken around in transit. My Heljan Metropolitan performed badly so was returned. Cheltenham models covered all the costs but phoned to say they couldn't find an issue either with the lights or DCC. After chatting I'd tried two different makes of decoder and they tried two others, for whatever reason the ones they chose work and the ones I had to hand don't! So I bought one of the ones they tried and it's fine. Now that's service and provided them with some useful info too. For reference Bachmann and Lenz no problem but Gaugemaster and ESU lokpilot cause flickering lights and strange running!

• RMweb Gold

For £124, I would have expected a parallel chimney and cylinders pointing in the right direction.

The chimney is parallel just measured it with some verniers if it is out it would be by only the thickness of a gnat's **acker.   :nono:

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, maybe it was just the earlier pictures, some of which looked ok, but I was trying not to guess what the final thing might look like, compared to the recent ones.

Miss P I've now checked the cylinder incline against a DJH cast kit and they appear to be very close again if they are out it's by a very small amount, like Hattons they done their selves no favours showing the paying public photo's of pre-production models.

Like most new models you can alway find a fault but I'm happy with mine and the gold/copper pipe under the tanks is now green.

Edited by 81C
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Miss P I've now checked the cylinder incline against a DJH cast kit and they appear to be very close again if they are out it's by a very small amount, like Hattons they done their selves no favours showing the paying public photo's of pre-production models.

Like most new models you can alway find a fault but I'm happy with mine and the gold/copper pipe under the tanks is now green.

Can we have a proper photo then Bob ?

• RMweb Gold

Can we have a proper photo then Bob ?

Straight out of the box photo, I've got Modelmaster plates to go on so I wasn't concerned about the crooked one's I did get the pleasure of seeing it run on the test track in the store

before I parted with the cash there's just a few minor alteration and detailing bits like crew etc to do but most of all it didn't stall once anywhere on my layout at slow speed it weighs in at 192 grams which must help.

post-8647-0-21471600-1482436082_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I don`t usually make a comment over RTR offerings...but in this case I`m glad I`m not a prisoner to them.

Terrible buffers,,,,, a mess of a footplate edge.... round sausage shaped lamp irons, moulding pips a plenty to most of the fittings and a cylinder that needs filing smooth.

A reasonable effort at 3D printing I suppose.......

Merry Christmas

• Agree 1

I don`t usually make a comment over RTR offerings...but in this case I`m glad I`m not a prisoner to them.

Terrible buffers,,,,, a mess of a footplate edge.... round sausage shaped lamp irons, moulding pips a plenty to most of the fittings and a cylinder that needs filing smooth.

A reasonable effort at 3D printing I suppose.......

Merry Christmas

Sad to say, I agree, you might have added that the rear cab side handrail sticks out to far at the top, and, to my eyes the chimney seems to be leaning forwards?

• RMweb Gold

I don't seem to have uploaded Dad's three Weymouth photos - so here they are - 

post-14351-0-25987900-1482448095_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-20831500-1482448097_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-09531500-1482448556_thumb.jpg

and a later shot of 1369 on the South Devon Railway in  1967

post-14351-0-19825600-1482448882_thumb.jpg

Perhaps I need to try a new scan of this one, if I can find the negative.

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Sad to say, I agree, you might have added that the rear cab side handrail sticks out to far at the top, and, to my eyes the chimney seems to be leaning forwards?

Interesting comment on the hand rail. The comment is correct of course but something is not right with 1369's cab handrail in Weymouth photograph.

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Interesting comment on the hand rail. The comment is correct of course but something is not right with 1369's cab handrail in Weymouth photograph.

Andy

It looks as though the cab's wall has been bent out a slightly, because the rail itself doesn't look distorted - just not parallel with its mate. Nice to see the bell   - and the plastic bucket!

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I didn't pre-order on these and rather glad I didn't. Seems poor value for money that is asked and I see some joker on e-thief is trying to get 160 quid for these.

Yes well Heljan over the last few years have tended to be priced a little higher than the competition in any case.Please let's not go down the same route as has happened on a nearby thread quite recently

Edited by Ian Hargrave

• RMweb Premium

It looks as though the cab's wall has been bent out a slightly, because the rail itself doesn't look distorted - just not parallel with its mate. Nice to see the bell   - and the plastic bucket!

I think the bottom knob has hit something bending it backwards.

Not surprising considering the traffic in those narrow streets

Andy

I don't seem to have uploaded Dad's three Weymouth photos - so here they are - 

attachicon.gifGWR 060PT 1367 Weymouth 2 7 1960.jpg

attachicon.gifGWR 060PT 1369 Weymouth 2 7 1960.jpg

attachicon.gifGWR 0-6-0PT 1370 Weymouth 1950s.jpg

and a later shot of 1369 on the South Devon Railway in  1967

attachicon.gifGWR 1369 4555 South Devon Railway 28 6 1967.jpg

Perhaps I need to try a new scan of this one, if I can find the negative.

Good photos with memories of Weymouth!  There must have been something about the location of picture number two which means that the loco tries to escape from the right hand side of the shot.  See my father's effort earlier in this thread!!!