RMweb

Hornby king

B15nac

Being in such matters an (almost) ignoramus,would that mean I would receive a ready to run on DC analogue only model with blanking pin fitted ? I can already hear the collective sharp intake of breath.......Sorry...it's his age you know...does he take sugar ?

I think so. I can confirm when Royal Mail delivers but it wouldn't make sense not to fit it with the blanking plug.

• RMweb Gold

Very little. Locomotive and tender brake rodding, drain cock pipes, front brake pipe and front coupler, if that is to your taste. Once it's on the track, you need to prod the fall plate down so that it rests on the tender front.

From T-b-g's images the colour looks reasonably ok.Better at any rate than the green versions. Presumably you tested it straight out of the box on DC which means a blanking plate is fitted ?

• RMweb Gold

You've put me on the spot. I can't find the instructions for "Cock o' the North" or "Duke of Gloucester" (must try to be tidier) but I believe that they can't. In any case, I doubt that it would be successful because, as I say, the chuffs seem to increase in steps. Steamers don't notch up!

Here's the TTS manual for DoG

http://www.Hornby.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/DoG-Sound-Decoder-Manual-WEB.pdf

From T-b-g's images the colour looks reasonably ok.Better at any rate than the green versions. Presumably you tested it straight out of the box on DC which means a blanking plate is fitted ?

Sorry to mislead. My blue King has yet to arrive. My comment was based on the NRM King. Incidentally, the instruction sheet for "Cock o' the North" swam to the surface and there is no facility that I can see for adjusting exhaust beats. I was doing a comparison of "Cock" before and after. It chuffs at a constant rate up to speed step 21, then suddenly quickens. Veering a little OT, I dare say "Cock" has cost me as much as if Hornby had done it properly in the first place. It has a replacement motor and a replacement sound decoder waiting. As you may have gathered, I don't like exhaust sounds which don't reflect what the wheels are doing, so sounds of slipping when the locomotive obviously isn't slipping are a no-no. I discussed this with Jeremy at Digitrains and I have ended up with an A4 chip which I shall re-synchronise. 

• Like 1

In the photos shown on 728 (toboldlygo) the water scoop on the tender seems to be a bit low to a level that would cause a problem on points.  If this is a push in item it would be worth checking to see if it has not come loose during transit.

The scoops on GWR tenders are not that low and the one on the manufacturers photos do not show it that low.

loconuts

This low slung water scoop business appears to be a feature of several Hornby GWR Tenders, including low Tender on the 28/38XX and Intermediate Tender on the Grange. Both were removed and I sawed a good slice off the bottom before re-attaching so that they would not foul on Peco uncoupling ramps.

Here is a link to TTS Sound Hornby King...https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=TTS+Sound+Hornby+king+-+YouTube&FORM=VIRE1#view=detail&mid=E7E012DCE38D4E043622E7E012DCE38D4E043622

One puff per ¾ revolution. Its a cheap sound unit that probably pleases the toy sector. Like other images of these new Kings, the front of the Tender is sitting high for some reason.

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

This low slung water scoop business appears to be a feature of several Hornby GWR Tenders, including low Tender on the 28/38XX and Intermediate Tender on the Grange. Both were removed and I sawed a good slice off the bottom before re-attaching so that they would not foul on Peco uncoupling ramps.

Here is a link to TTS Sound Hornby King...https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=TTS+Sound+Hornby+king+-+YouTube&FORM=VIRE1#view=detail&mid=E7E012DCE38D4E043622E7E012DCE38D4E043622

One puff per ¾ revolution. Its a cheap sound unit that probably pleases the toy sector. Like other images of these new Kings, the front of the Tender is sitting high for some reason.

I noticed it when I was photographing King Richard this morning, not sure if it's to do with the permanent coupling of the tender or something to do with the tender chassis.

• RMweb Gold

I must admit I really like the BR blue king. Shame the lubricator pipe covers on the smoke box are incorrect for mechanical lubrication

The $64,000 question is really when was the mechanical lubricator (and 4 row superheater) fitted?  6021 was running in 1951 in blue livery without a mechanical lubricator and with the style of oil pipe cover fitted to the model - so did the superheater change precede the repaint in green (which makes the cover wrong) or were they coincidental (which makes the presence of the lubricator wrong)?   Answers with an accurately dated photo please.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I contacted Rails this afternoon and yes it will come with blanking pin fitted......so you can guess the rest..

Won't deter me from Hattons DJM versions though.Another moment of weakness.....and so it goes.....

I contacted Rails this afternoon and yes it will come with blanking pin fitted......so you can guess the rest..

Won't deter me from Hattons DJM versions though.Another moment of weakness.....and so it goes.....

Weakness has its virtues. If we don't inherit the earth, we might at least get a few gorgeous locomotives. I hope mine arrives tomorrow. I don't think we'll be disappointed. As to Hatton's, I'm going to wait and see.

• RMweb Gold

Weakness has its virtues. If we don't inherit the earth, we might at least get a few gorgeous locomotives. I hope mine arrives tomorrow. I don't think we'll be disappointed. As to Hatton's, I'm going to wait and see.

Well,thank you for that reassuring response.I feel better already.I fear though that it won't be long before my conscience will face another inevitable challenge.....and so it goes.....again

A word of warning - check the tightness of the nuts holding the motion together.

Mine had only been out of the box five minutes before a crank pin fell out and the motion locked up.  Back together again now and no permanent damage.

I am not sure that I like the wobbly wheels on the tender but that is an issue for another day.

22874294850_ff1d5bb6b6_c.jpg

Hornby King Edward VIII

Hi 34C

... That's way too sloppy, and a short time from wear out in my opinion.

I wonder if you are referring to the spacer / washer from between the coupling rod and connecting rod.  This must have gone bouncy bouncy or wasn't there in the first place.  Looking at the other side the spacer seems to be an odd size, being much thinner than on previous Hornby locos.  Back together the engine runs well.  Nice and straight with lots of power and very quiet.  Haulage wise I would say as good as, if not even better than the latest Hornby Britannias - and that without any additonal ballast.  As I said above, the tender is another matter, it is seems very light weight.

Speak again

Ray

...I wonder if you are referring to the spacer / washer from between the coupling rod and connecting rod.  This must have gone bouncy bouncy or wasn't there in the first place ...

It was the size of the centre crankpin hole - with the resulting very thin wall section -  in the rod that caught my eye. As it appears to also be slack on the crankpin with the spacer not present, I wouldn't give much for its longevity; current motor and gear trains will tear through that if there is any bind, and then there's wear.

The lack of the outward flare of the spokes to the protruding hub boss, as noted by Coachmann above, really is a shame. Such a fine feature which enhances Hornby's Castle and D16/3.

Thanks for clarifying

It was the size of the centre crankpin hole - with the resulting very thin wall section -  in the rod that caught my eye. As it appears to also be slack on the crankpin with the spacer not present, I wouldn't give much for its longevity; current motor and gear trains will tear through that if there is any bind, and then there's wear.

The lack of the outward flare of the spokes to the protruding hub boss, as noted by Coachmann above, really is a shame. Such a fine feature which enhances Hornby's Castle and D16/3.

Longevity and Hornby are not compatible in my book.   However this one seems to be the correct width over the cylinders and fits between my platforms - unlike the previous offering.

Regards

Ray

• RMweb Gold

I think that's just the way it is with Hornby's crankpins, which are very fat at the business end. It doesn't need to be bushed as such. If that was valve gear on a kit, I'd agree that the hole is worryingly large...