The Mill

Morning Jason and Chris,

Really looking forward to this Jason, especially the big building. The look of the plan and baseboards show a very professional approach right from the start. Does Chris have any other threads / layouts on RMweb perchance?

Good luck with the time-scale you have set yourselves.

Kind regards,

Jock.

It'll be the dreaded AJ's.

No wagon turntables as the interior of the mill will be used to store stock, coffee mugs and beer.

Looks like a super project - shame it's not 4'8.5"...

Re AJs - remember they are not good on sharp curves, so arrange for coupling/uncoupling to be on straights.

There could be dummy wagon turntable, entering the mill through a closed door?

It's possible to control a sector plate remotely, using string or a lever mechanism - as I have done on Humber Dock and Royston Vasey. This lets you have a fiddle yard at both ends but operate from only one.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

One of the reasons for going with AJ's is that some of the stock will also see use on Clayton (Shipley's work in progress tour-de-force; shameless plug but you will be able to see how far we have got in two weeks time at the Shipley exhibition).

I like three links a lot but they just aren't practical for a layout of this size when to uncouple would mean blocking the punter's view.

• RMweb Gold

One of the reasons for going with AJ's is that some of the stock will also see use on Clayton (Shipley's work in progress tour-de-force; shameless plug but you will be able to see how far we have got in two weeks time at the Shipley exhibition).

I like three links a lot but they just aren't practical for a layout of this size when to uncouple would mean blocking the punter's view.

I could get away with it in 0 gauge with a layout twice as big. However I also found that giving kids the coupling hook they could do it much better than me. Another alternative if the stock doesn't have to match elsewhere would be Dinghams.

Don

Evening all....

Here is a pic of the mech for the lucam hoist 'in't mill'.

post-19016-0-71076600-1410121805_thumb.jpg

I know it looks a bit of a Frankenstein at the min but when its mounted inside 't'mill' it won't be seen, i've not fully sussed out quite how the hook will pick up the wagon loads but i'm working on it. The hoist has a fixed position over the line that runs infront of the mill so with careful positioning of the load in the wagon it could quite simply be lowered over it & the wagon moved ever so slightly for the load to catch the hook, simple.

Regards fiddle yard/sector plate the current plan is to have six or so cassettes that will give us a way of storing stock & having it ready to run, avoiding having to handle it to much & also act as a sector plate that will pivoting on a baseboard joint dowel selecting between the line in front of the mill or the line to the coal drops & short siding. Hopefully the cassettes will store inside the back of the mill building (if theres room after bottles of beer, cups of coffee & other essentials). The idea is to have the male part (no laughing now) of the dowel fixed to the baseboard & two of the female parts (stop it) of the dowel fixed to the underside of the cassette one near each end, because the pivot point will be quite near the end of the cassettes to save space & get the right curve to serve as a point between the two roads.

Here is a link to my workbench

http://www.rmweb.co....-gnr-workbench/

Cheers for all the interest & positive comments thus far...

Chris

Edited by Chris-GNR
  • Like 5

Afternoon all

Getting very excited for EM north at the weekend.

Top of the shopping list is something for 'The Mill', one of these beauties,

http://173.254.28.51/~highlev3/chris/Pages/y5page.html

I could also be tempted with one of these, 

http://173.254.28.51/~highlev3/chris/Pages/neilsonpage.html

depending on how many bargains i can find on the members sales stand. Plus a whole bunch of general supplies. 

See you all there.

Chris

Edited by Chris-GNR
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

The Templot plan has moved on somewhat, basically to the point where I can make a start. I know the diamond crossing in the foreground hasn't been done correctly but it was doing my nut on and as long as I know where the rails go, I can make the rest up as I go along. Same with the missing straight bits - what's the point of wasting ink?

The magazine represents the size of the fiddle yard; just enough for an 0-4-0 and a few wagons.

NotBacup007_zps78565b34.jpg

NotBacup008_zps06e85e02.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Looks good. I know what you mean about doing the diamond. It is a fantastically useful bit of software, but I too find doing anything more complex than a standard turnout a bit painful!

If you have space to do it might you consider adding a gentle curve to take away some of the parallel to the board edges straightness?

• Like 1

The Templot plan has moved on somewhat, basically to the point where I can make a start. I know the diamond crossing in the foreground hasn't been done correctly but it was doing my nut on and as long as I know where the rails go, I can make the rest up as I go along. Same with the missing straight bits - what's the point of wasting ink?

The magazine represents the size of the fiddle yard; just enough for an 0-4-0 and a few wagons.

NotBacup007_zps78565b34.jpg

NotBacup008_zps06e85e02.jpg

Looking good Jason, did you say it will be laid in Cobbles? I so did you ever see Chris Nevards method of doing Cobbles in DAS, he made a small tool out of Brass about an inch square with a load of cross sections and then just inprinted it into soft drying DAS.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Looks good. I know what you mean about doing the diamond. It is a fantastically useful bit of software, but I too find doing anything more complex than a standard turnout a bit painful!

If you have space to do it might you consider adding a gentle curve to take away some of the parallel to the board edges straightness?

I know what you mean about straights but along the back will be the mill itself which will be pretty straight (hopefully) so the rest needs to be straight to match it.

Most of the track will be inset and I am toying with the idea of using L section brass to create tramway style track. I might look into the DAS method but am more likely to use the same material as

I used for the goods yard on Bacup, with the siding to the coal drops being buried in ash ballast.

Chris has made a start on the Neilson 0-4-0 for the layout and my conversion of Chris TooManySpams' Dapol Pug to a High Level chassis one is progressing really well. As soon as I get a GW wheel puller (on order), it'll be all but ready for painting.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I know what you mean about straights but along the back will be the mill itself which will be pretty straight (hopefully) so the rest needs to be straight to match it.

Mill built on a curve, rather than dead straight?

post-6677-0-60851700-1412977642_thumb.jpg

Good idea using some L section to keep a constant flangeway clearance on the inset track, that should work well.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I like the plan Jason. Regarding the hoist for the wagons loads, have you seen John Greenwoood's Wenford Goods with a working gantry crane in 2mm? might give you some ideas.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Chris and I had the first proper meeting about The Mill on Sunday night, after my car put paid to my original plans to be in Newbury for the weekend to attend the birthday party of a lad whose idea of celebrating turning 30 is to go out for a meal at 5pm and then have a couple of drinks afterwards. As I am of the belief that going to the pub for just two drinks is a waste of time (all or nothing is my motto), I wasn't really heartbroken and the car problems turned out to be a loose bit of redundant plastic that I removed myself once I'd managed to buy a Torx tool (from Halfords in Swad, which is where Andy Bodgit lives. No, he doesn't live in Halfords).

Anyway, enough irrelevant waffle. Chris brought the baseboards over and we laid the Templot plan on top, had a play about with a few wagons, etc., gave some thought to the placement of electromagnets (for uncoupling), used some of Bacup's buildings to create a mock-up and most importantly, discussed the artistic integrity of airbrushing an image of a wolf onto a laptop.

Surprisingly, the trackplan fitted and seemed to work so Chris left me with an offcut of ply and I stuck another copy of the plan to it, before sticking down PCB sleepers and starting to tracklay. I'll worry about the diamond crossing when I get to it.

The sparsity of sleepers on the plain track is because this will be set into cobbles / setts.

Thingsinprogress001_zpsb4ecc6cb.jpg

Thingsinprogress002_zps3659ac7e.jpg

The pug chassis has progressed although I am waiting to get a wheel puller before I can continue

Thingsinprogress004_zpsb7b349a9.jpg

And finally, Chris kindly gave me a Dave Bradwell etched chassis kit for a 21 ton hopper. Without any instructions. Here is how far I got.

Thingsinprogress006_zpsa79ae1fa.jpg

• Like 13

In Post 45, Mark says, "A mill built on a curve, rather than dead straight".

Jason, although I can understand why you might not be able to make this fit, it does look rather good.  I like that Pug chassis too!

Mark, Where are those curvy mills, please? Cromford?

• Like 3

Looking good mate, really good. Forgot to mention about there being no instructions for that Bradwell kit. soz.

Its been quite a slow day at work today so i decided to construct the legs for The Mill. A nice & simple folding trestle arrangement., Didn't take to long. Just needs some sort of retaining cord/chain so they don't splay out fully under the weight of the layout.

post-19016-0-51879000-1413304991_thumb.jpg

No photos of the 12" Neilson i'm on with but its getting there...........

Chris

• Like 7