The Mill

Hi Chris, I've used Gibson plungers on both these locos, one old packet still had the 'too heavy' springs and these were changed for much lighter springs which are now included with the plunger pick-ups. I think many people have tried these plunger pick-ups and decided they were too stiff but with the softer springs they are fine, I've used them on many, many locos over the years and have yet to have a problem with drag. Another problem for people is trying to use a too heavy wire to connect the plungers as a heavy wire will not allow the plunger to 'follow' the wheel as it moves about slightly in relation to the frames causing intermittent pickup. I use a flexible wire which is only 0.6mm overall.

Both these locos were for a customer who likes to do his own painting so I only paint the chassis as I build them.

Hope that answers your question.

Edited by davefrk

Hi Jason, very nice, can we have a blow by blow build please as that's the next thing I need to learn how to do. What will you be using for the Stone Work?

BTW did you see your Slip and Point married up to mine now in Bitton?

• RMweb Premium

I'll try to mate. Basically, I spent last night and this morning measuring up. Using other mills I've constructed to get an idea of scale, as well as a couple of books on mills (yes, I actually have books on the history of mills in West Riding), and implementing a square, two steel rules and a retractable pencil, I drew out the online of the building, windows, doors and lucams. What you see in the shot is actually attempt no. 2 as I forgot the foundations on the first and didn't need enough vertical height between floors.Once I was happy with how it looked, I cut it out using a scalpel with a new blade.

The window apertures measure 16 x 25mm, which is almost the same dimensions as ones supplied by York Modelmaking although I will be using Microstrip to form them. Mad as that sounds, the York Modelmaking ones for all the buildings would be knocking on for £200. I will probably use theirs (or similar) for the large arched windows that will be needed for the boiler house.

Not sure which stone to use yet, the choices for this building being the Slaters 4mm Dressed Stone, SE Finecast 7mm Brick or the same company's 4mm Dressed Stone (although having used both previously, I think the 7mm Brick loos slightly better as the mortar courses are slightly narrower).

Whichever is used, and the Slaters is the most likely, it will take a long, long time to paint & weather all the sheets needed and then cut out all the windows, fold in the recesses, trim out where the lintels are, etc.

I did see your photos of your track building mate, it loos bloody marvellous.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Well I think you've just won the "greatest number of windows per foot of layout" competition. The York MM windows are great but, as I found on DitD, expensive. Going to be a great little layout.

Are you using P4 or EM flanges? ;-p

Hi Chris, I've used Gibson plungers on both these locos, one old packet still had the 'too heavy' springs and these were changed for much lighter springs which are now included with the plunger pick-ups. I think many people have tried these plunger pick-ups and decided they were too stiff but with the softer springs they are fine, I've used them on many, many locos over the years and have yet to have a problem with drag. Another problem for people is trying to use a too heavy wire to connect the plungers as a heavy wire will not allow the plunger to 'follow' the wheel as it moves about slightly in relation to the frames causing intermittent pickup. I use a flexible wire which is only 0.6mm overall.

Both these locos were for a customer who likes to do his own painting so I only paint the chassis as I build them.

Hope that answers your question.

Cheers Dave, thats good to know they now come with the lighter springs. I've heard mostly negative things about plunger pick-ups, in 4mm anyway. But i have always thought with the right approach they could be made to work well by using very light weight connecting wires & tweaking the springs. 

Two very nice looking locos your customer has ended up with there, i bet they were very pleased.

Thanks again.

Chris 

The embryonic Mill, well the main section of it anyway (there will be a tower to the left)

1.2 metres long (the tower will add another 12cm)

Eyup mate, fantastic work on the mill!!

The position of the lucums looks great. A productive evening then?

Chris

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I basically had to refer to the Templot plan to position the lucams, to ensure there is adequate clearance from the crossover. Funnily enough, I was thinking of building the mill much longer than the current boards but split, so that when (if) we do extend, the mill will be properly huge.

The photo doesn't do justice to just how big the mill is / will be. It is going to dominate the layout !

• Like 3

I basically had to refer to the Templot plan to position the lucams, to ensure there is adequate clearance from the crossover. Funnily enough, I was thinking of building the mill much longer than the current boards but split, so that when (if) we do extend, the mill will be properly huge.

The photo doesn't do justice to just how big the mill is / will be. It is going to dominate the layout !

Lets see a picture with a Wagon in front, it looks fantastic anyway mate.

• RMweb Premium

There will be a tower to the left hand side, the loading shed front right and the boiler/ engine house and huge chimney front left. Basically, you will be looking up at the chimney top, which will top out about 7' off the floor.

• Like 4