Richcooke- BR/modern image

Axel.Richardson

Hi all

If like to share my latest layout project.

For the past couple of years I've been longing for a layout but have struggled to design one that I could incorporate a small scenic layout I

had already constructed.

Eventually I've decided to start from scratch and I quickly came up with a plan.

Basically I prefer the building and modelling side of the hobby rather than the running of trains, so for this reason I wanted a continuous loop.

I decided to keep it simple with only a double loop as space is tight and I'm more interested in the detail.

I toyed with the idea of a double level fiddle yard but again space made it hard so settled for not having one, this is something I'm not happy about and may yet come up with a solution to this, I have asked the other half to let me tunnel through and have it in the bedroom but that idea was stopped dead.

Anyway I started the frame work using 18mm X 44mm, topped with 9mm ply to make a sturdy platform.

Back scene is 6mm MDF, this will be painted a pale blue for now.

I've constructed the layout in section that should allowing to be dismantled easily if I ever move or sell it.

The Track I'm using is code 75 as I hate the look of 100, if I had the time and patience I'd my my own.

Points will all be wired for seep PM1 motors.

I don't have a track plan so will talk through my brief.

TMD - it's a must in my eyes as it somewhere to show off my loco and is something I can enjoy modelling, this will include engine Shed, fuelling depot and some sidings.

Scrap yard - I've always loved them, and have worked in a couple as I drive plant, should be real interesting to model. Hopefully I can pull it off

Scenic countryside - I've got to have some greenery to model and a nice rolling hill or something, I've got it planed in my head and hopefully it should flow nicely.

This will also allow me to have a tunnel to break up the line

Town station - I'm going to have a small town and station next to the TMD, hopefully I can get the desired effect of outskirts of a town.

I'll upload some photos of the progress so far

• RMweb Gold

Thank you hope to get some pictures uploaded of progress once photo bucket will let me upload

You can upload direct to your thread here. Just need to keep each file size down. You can use your photo editing on PC or download editor on this site. I tend to reduce size down to 800 x 600 pixels or thereabouts depending if the original photo has been cropped.

You can upload direct to your thread here. Just need to keep each file size down. You can use your photo editing on PC or download editor on this site. I tend to reduce size down to 800 x 600 pixels or thereabouts depending if the original photo has been cropped.

I'll give it a go, may need to try on PC as I use a tablet ATM, thank you

Hi Axel,

I like your brief, look forward to seeing your layout develop.

Thanks,

Stu.

Thank you stu, I will keep it updated regularly

Ok so as promised here are some pictures, I struggled to upload them using the uploaded due to having all pictures on iPad and unable to resize them, so used photobucket.

This is a panoramic picture of the whole room and layout, that's why it looks distorted.

8AC70D28-1EFC-44E7-A22F-D52484D503A7_zps

This will be the TMD and the General area of interest, all track is working apart from one or two siding I've yet to finish laying and I haven't yet fitted point motors, It a tedious job I'm putting off tbh, hopefully I can get a friend to help me.

E8495B94-3E21-491E-8C0A-FAB4C8667188_zps

975844D1-7A55-4FDB-BF09-CB7AAF2B3560_zps

F3249E62-C60D-49B6-A07D-4D1F8CB2A090_zps

This is the traction maintenance shed, it is not finished yet, I've taken two peco sheds and gone about modifying them to get a unique looking shed. I've got to finish the roof and offices on the side.

It is a 3 lane shed however in the pictures you can't see the back lane entrance.

A4BD8AD1-30DD-48E9-B387-E7695EB36ECA_zps

4ADACCFA-C248-4F04-A95A-B5A4A987F4F8_zps

So where to start, I couldn't wait to model the scrap yard so set about researching them.

This one popped up and I thought it suited my needs perfectly.

01170A9A-505A-4876-89C6-3FA31B925956_zps

53521CAC-608D-49BB-866F-EAB589274E7A_zpsF31C3444-9028-4DB3-B686-D52162705F6F_zpsF31C3444-9028-4DB3-B686-D52162705F6F_zps

I can't remember the name and location but is still in use today.

This should give me a basis to work off and adapt to fit my layout.

It's when i find gems like this i wish I had the space to model it in its entiraty.

The area I have allocated for the scrap yard is 40x24 inch, it is a bit tight but will do.

The board was originally designed to lift via hinges along the back but have since decided to fix it solid. That is why the rails on mainline are soldered to brass screws.

07838DFD-41F9-4113-8603-0E4FB3FB4CAE_zps

I'm the prototype the land level is built up on the left side held back by a retaining wall. The line then runs underneath a steel structure that I am unsure of the original purpose.

This section is what I wanted to model

EBD6ECEE-F65C-4656-A680-B538E20F4F21_zps

Using 6 mm ply I made the retaining walls and filled with polystyrene after which I shaped and covered with mod-rock. This have me a hard surface to work with.

For Texture I use poly filler and cover the whole lot.

As the tracks in the prototype are coveted in mud, crap and scrap I used the poly filler intend of ballast, to get the muddy clogged up track look, This was them painted with different browns to get a under colour.

ED82FABA-7CD4-4B25-981C-4272AE3ECEF7_zps

On top of the brown I use real soil from the garden, baked dry, rolled and sprinkled on top of a thin coat of pva, left to dry and rubbed in with fingers. Then take a hover to it and am left with this

35E72E92-0792-449C-A01D-62149B9C8710_zps

The brown walls are meant to be steel walls and posts and we're made using old rail and plasticard.

Off to the left is a small loco breaking yard and this will be fenced of with burners in chopping up old damaged stock.

8D2C18AF-97A3-4023-94C4-6DD47622C2A8_zps

The whole thing will be detailed with scrap piles and General rubbish.

That is as far as I have got ATM so will update shortly.

Here are some shots of the scrapyard

3BFE17FC-AC7D-4876-B8C2-A6AEFA155CC4_zps

0A5445E1-0C79-4846-93AE-2333BF9BD503_zps

1BEF8988-6FC4-45BE-9877-901DC1753178_zps

9586FA4D-7CAB-4502-9BE2-1DFED078D609_zps

BC6C0B93-3006-431F-B15E-F059DBB98DF2_zps

77F18993-826C-444B-8974-1482A519E6A6_zps

59C8A6BE-267E-4AF0-911F-AF6F389379A7_zps

Hi Axel welcome to RMweb.

Thank you for posting on Arboretum Valley. There are a number of 'youngsters' here on line. You clearly are getting your head around your layout. I like the concrete around your tracks...I only recently had a go at that myself. If you are wanting to find specific skill sets or types of layout, feel free to ask, and if I or our friends can help you will quickly get an answer.

You will find there are a number of groups here on RMWEB who chat a lot amongst them selves but also surf the rest, and you may find a specific group is really in tune with you. Usually threads, even established threads are very happy to have new people post. If you are interested in fine scale, EM, stretch build, modelling etc you will find all types of people attacking such skills. I personally love Westerhamstation, the thread owner Westerham is very clever at making scenery out of everyday items...which can save a lot of money, and he is going into BRM magazine as he layout is really nice as well.

Anyway welcome, I have added as a follower as your looks interesting, if you put questions on your own thread you should slowly get people coming along and answering. Evening just after teatime is a good time to get responses.

Best of luck.

OH and I would add  link to your layout...so people can easily find your work. If you need help just ask.

I have just read your brief properly, scenic over rails....my this ethos as well (only don't tell Kal). I mention Kal as he is the owner of our thread, he is the owner of our layout originally, he is in fact a very sneaky man, he is my husband. And when he started the layout he asked me if I would help him out with some of the scenery as I like painting.....and now I get into all sorts....although if I can paint it, and it does not move....it is in danger  :sungum: And as he has got me interested in the hobby. We have lost a dining room...now a modelling room....we have lost half a garage...now an airbrush modelling area.....we have fitted our loft with layout. And if train stuff meanders into other areas, it is more likely me who is to blame....So perhaps you can con the wife, and then she might let you have the tunnel.

Buiding it to be dismantled is a good idea, much more flexibility. you might even n start exhibiting.

Knowing you are interested in scenery and making it...I redouble check out 

Westerhamstation.......http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64587-westerham-station-brm-out-soon-thanks-for-your-votes/&do=findComment&comment=852209

Westerham is like a magician turning the mundane into the special

also check out

Bakewell http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64977-bakewell-peak-district-line-br-new-photos/&do=findComment&comment=863304

...acg_mr is a gifted modeller and has some wonderful stuff which he explains fully how to try it for yourslef

Anything you can do I can do better Robins.....http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70935-anything-you-can-do-i-can-do-better-robinson-and-downes/&do=findComment&comment=1021956

Alan Downes.....is a very gifted modeller and you really want to check him and Robinson out.

The buildings of Studley and Astwood Bank..thttp://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82563-the-buildings-of-studley-and-astwood-bank/&do=findComment&comment=1351826

Swevens work should be of interest

If these prove of interest I can point out others

Hi Axel welcome to RMweb.

Thank you for posting on Arboretum Valley. There are a number of 'youngsters' here on line. You clearly are getting your head around your layout. I like the concrete around your tracks...I only recently had a go at that myself. If you are wanting to find specific skill sets or types of layout, feel free to ask, and if I or our friends can help you will quickly get an answer.

You will find there are a number of groups here on RMWEB who chat a lot amongst them selves but also surf the rest, and you may find a specific group is really in tune with you. Usually threads, even established threads are very happy to have new people post. If you are interested in fine scale, EM, stretch build, modelling etc you will find all types of people attacking such skills. I personally love Westerhamstation, the thread owner Westerham is very clever at making scenery out of everyday items...which can save a lot of money, and he is going into BRM magazine as he layout is really nice as well.

Anyway welcome, I have added as a follower as your looks interesting, if you put questions on your own thread you should slowly get people coming along and answering. Evening just after teatime is a good time to get responses.

Best of luck.

OH and I would add link to your layout...so people can easily find your work. If you need help just ask.

I have just read your brief properly, scenic over rails....my this ethos as well (only don't tell Kal). I mention Kal as he is the owner of our thread, he is the owner of our layout originally, he is in fact a very sneaky man, he is my husband. And when he started the layout he asked me if I would help him out with some of the scenery as I like painting.....and now I get into all sorts....although if I can paint it, and it does not move....it is in danger :sungum: And as he has got me interested in the hobby. We have lost a dining room...now a modelling room....we have lost half a garage...now an airbrush modelling area.....we have fitted our loft with layout. And if train stuff meanders into other areas, it is more likely me who is to blame....So perhaps you can con the wife, and then she might let you have the tunnel.

Buiding it to be dismantled is a good idea, much more flexibility. you might even n start exhibiting.

Knowing you are interested in scenery and making it...I redouble check out

Westerhamstation.......http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64587-westerham-station-brm-out-soon-thanks-for-your-votes/&do=findComment&comment=852209

Westerham is like a magician turning the mundane into the special

also check out

Bakewell http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64977-bakewell-peak-district-line-br-new-photos/&do=findComment&comment=863304

...acg_mr is a gifted modeller and has some wonderful stuff which he explains fully how to try it for yourslef

Anything you can do I can do better Robins.....http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70935-anything-you-can-do-i-can-do-better-robinson-and-downes/&do=findComment&comment=1021956

Alan Downes.....is a very gifted modeller and you really want to check him and Robinson out.

The buildings of Studley and Astwood Bank..thttp://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82563-the-buildings-of-studley-and-astwood-bank/&do=findComment&comment=1351826

Swevens work should be of interest

If these prove of interest I can point out others

Hi jaz,

Thanks for the info, it is more than helpful, it will give me something to read in work.

I have been intrested in scenic modelling since I was a child and has always been my key interest, don't get me wrong I still enjoy watching a train go by and a little shunting but that's as far as my interest goes.

Couldn't tell what train is what without looking it up Altho I'm getting better.

Skill wise I've learnt from watching Richards Everard junction videos on YouTube, these have given me valuable tips that I used in the past. Also after a visit to Pendon I use as much tip and techniques as I can.

I keep all interesting threads and articles on my computer to go back and reference when needed.

The girlfriend it very understanding about the hobby, she has been for years however she does draw the line sometimes, I've got permission to build a small O gauge shunting layout in the dining room in the near future.

My current house is my first and looking back I wish I got somewhere bigger as the rooms are small and the attic is unusable for a layout.

That's the reason I built it in modules is I hope to move when I can afford something bigger.

By link do You mean add one in my sig at the bottom?

yes.....if you ask a question somewhere...people might bother to answer in on your thread, or check your thread and offer advice. Very rarely is advice not worthy of the time it took to write it. Plus if you refer to your own work, people can go see it if they are inclined to do so....without hunting via google.

I often have to look at a persons profile, then look at that persons post or topics in order to find them, which is how i found your thread after you posted on AV. I personally like to 'return the favour' if someone takes the time to post on my thread I like to reciprocate. Although I find blogs hard work and feel happier chatting in the layout section. We have only had out thread here less than 18 months, and were lucky to come across some nice friendly and helpful people...and I try to give some of it back.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Axel, really like the idea of the scrap yard, a wonderful idea which gives a lot of scope for all sorts of modelling skills, and the progress you have made so far is great.

I'll be following this with interest.

Cheers, 

Al.

yes.....if you ask a question somewhere...people might bother to answer in on your thread, or check your thread and offer advice. Very rarely is advice not worthy of the time it took to write it. Plus if you refer to your own work, people can go see it if they are inclined to do so....without hunting via google.

I often have to look at a persons profile, then look at that persons post or topics in order to find them, which is how i found your thread after you posted on AV. I personally like to 'return the favour' if someone takes the time to post on my thread I like to reciprocate. Although I find blogs hard work and feel happier chatting in the layout section. We have only had out thread here less than 18 months, and were lucky to come across some nice friendly and helpful people...and I try to give some of it back.

Thanks jaz, everyone's been very friendly so far. I'll get my sig edited now, hopefully will get to know a few people on here and learn some new skills.

Hi Axel, really like the idea of the scrap yard, a wonderful idea which gives a lot of scope for all sorts of modelling skills, and the progress you have made so far is great.

I'll be following this with interest.

Cheers, 

Al.

Thank you Al, I've always had a interest in modelling one for that reason, joyfully it turns our how I picture it in my head

Axel

here is another one to look at ORCHARD ROAD has some wonderful touches including the inside of his shed.

Thanks jaz I'll have a look, I plan on detailing the inside of my engine shed eventually so will be good to look for some tips and ideas

• 2 weeks later...

Great bit of modelling there keep it up

David

Thank you David

hi there great progress being made there, as above the scrap yard looks really good, look forward to the layout progressing and welcome to the forum. john.

Thank you john, I'm glad people think so, I do try and make things look as real as possible

Like the look of your scrap yard area!! :senile:

I too have scrapyard for breaking locos and stock on "banks road" take look see what you think Alex..

cheers neil..

Hi Neil, thanks, I'll have a look at yours. I like looking at other peoples take on scrap yards.

Update

I've not done a lot to the layout due to other projects that if been doing for my club, however this weekend I had a few hours to do a little

I made a start on ballasting the track outside the scrapyard and around the adjacent TMD and fuelling area.

I Spent a bit of time testing the track before hand to check all was well and then started.

The technique I use is to first paint the track and bed with a brown acrylic spray paint in this case raw umber, then leave to dry.

I then use a dry brush and place the ballast and apply glue mix using a syringe.

Once dry I get some sieved earth from the garden that I oven dry and crush. I apply by brush over the area to achieve the finish you see here.

83F12E4B-CF7B-4B7E-9A4A-3BAEA43EC084_zps

E54F7F7C-6ADB-48A3-AAA8-A35BF3A45207_zps

I also started fixing down some security fencing around the scrapyard, this is the knight wing stuff and I think is really good, however very delicate.

86EF344C-DF00-45C1-8E2A-595F0C9BC65D_zps

So what are people's opinions on the ballasting, is there anything else I can do to improve the look or does it look realistic for a yard?

I will be adding shrubs and grass around the area

Archived