Oxfordrail - Adams Radial

John M Upton

I would have thought that the prospect of a new, British owned, scale model railway business coming to the market was something to get excited about, as that's as rare as hen's teeth, but with DJ Models last year, it is 2 such launches. Whatever they announce it is cause for entbusiasm, hope and wishes for success, as both these ventures indicate that uk based model designers believe they can make viable model railway products and invest significant amounts to try and achieve it. I never expected to see such a position again in my lifetime

• Like 2

As built, most if not all of Adams locomotives had stovepipe chimneys , later on in life they were fitted with Drummond pattern chimneys which were not stovepipes.

So this ghost image could be an Adams Radial in its early LSWR form, or it could possibly be the LSWR Adams T3 4-4-0 tender locomotive of which we have a preserved example in the NRM. I hope its the latter.

Cheers,

Chris

I find this an interesting development as I very much like the Oxford road range and the detail of the models, they all seem well researched and variants are a plenty

Cost: How competitive will they be in the market? Is this an attempt to undercut the big boys or to fill a hole and produce locos that the major players have no interest in doing as they don't cover Big4 and BR periods. I suspect that the latter may have some value as if I am right  (And I have been very wrong plenty of times) they work to batch production, so a say few hundred batch run of a specific unit would not be unreasonable to them for a return

Quality: I find the road vehicles good but not top draw, but quality against cost I don't feel you can complain. The Matadors recently acquired in Military colours all seem to have the cab leaning back, but minor really when you look at the overall product and factor in 3ft viewing.

Products: Will they focus on locos or possibly carriages and wagons to follow? With the ability to produce some more complicated liveries on the vehicles could this translate to the rail range?

Scale: With vehicles in all major scales available will they go with just one? Or possibly as someone else said do the same item in all 3 popular scales as we have seen with the road vehicles?

Exciting times nonetheless :)

I have been an avid reader of RMweb but this thread has actually encouraged me to join and make a contribution.

Nearly 100% of posts to date have assumed that this is a RTR model, but please consider:

We know a lot of purchasers acquire models to collect and never run them.

Corgi recently moved into the Diecast non-running locomotive market

The recent success of the “Great British Locomotives” partworks.

Oxford Die-Cast have made a successful business of what they do, after Corgi’s success with Aircraft they moved into this market – why not with locomotives?

The economics seen to add up as well, the suppliers of the “Great British Locomotives” will sell you the loco and part work for 20 euros –and presumably make a profit.

So my prediction is for diecast non-running models, but having said that I would certainly purchase these if they fit the area I model, if the price is right.

• Like 3

The likelihood of the range being powered came from post 26 in this thread, when on 12 October, the oxfordrail website picture apparently had '12v' as part of the imagery. They have been changing the format of that web page, today the blurred loco inage is smaller and a statement has been added 'why make one chimney when you can make two'. Is that an oblique reference to stovepipe and rebuilt chimney variants?

Edited by rembrow

The likelihood of the range being powered came from post 26 in this thread, when on 12 October, the oxfordrail website picture apparently had '12v' as part of the imagery. They have been changing the format of that web page, today the blurred loco inage is smaller and a statement has been added 'why make one chimney when you can make two'. Is that an oblique reference to stovepipe and rebuilt chimney variants?

Or maybe a Fairlie?

Stewart

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

This reminded me of Matchbox's model released several years ago of a low-loader with the loco portion of a GER 2-4-0

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/matchbox-yesteryear-ys16-scammell-low-248660889

It was modelled in 1:64 but had no tender. Just imagine the sales potential if that had been in OO and the loco and tender were both modelled!

I think Oxfordrail has spotted a market for people who want to collect colourful pre-grouping locos, many of which have never been produced ready made in a recognised model railway scale.

This reminded me of Matchbox's model released several years ago of a low-loader with the loco portion of a GER 2-4-0

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/matchbox-yesteryear-ys16-scammell-low-248660889

It was modelled in 1:64 but had no tender. Just imagine the sales potential if that had been in OO and the loco and tender were both modelled!

I think Oxfordrail has spotted a market for people who want to collect colourful pre-grouping locos, many of which have never been produced ready made in a recognised model railway scale.

Wonder if anyone has used that as a basis for a running S scale one? Surprised Jas Milham hasn't!

Edit: although they aren't cheap and it s pretty basic model

Edited by Talltim

• RMweb Premium

If they're bringing out a range of colourful, collectable models of pre-group locos, I'd be over the moon if they're considering a NBR "Glen" 4-4-0.

There's plenty of these "cute" locos crying out for modelling which could sell well:

Caley 812 0-6-0

Midland Kirtley 2-4-0 (158A)

GER 2-4-0 (LNER E4) or original Claud Hamilton

LSWR Adams Radial

SECR D 4-4-0

LBSCR Gladstone 0-4-2

• RMweb Premium

If they're bringing out a range of colourful, collectable models of pre-group locos, I'd be over the moon if they're considering a NBR "Glen" 4-4-0.

There's plenty of these "cute" locos crying out for modelling which could sell well:

Caley 812 0-6-0

Midland Kirtley 2-4-0 (158A)

GER 2-4-0 (LNER E4) or original Claud Hamilton

LSWR Adams Radial

SECR D 4-4-0

LBSCR Gladstone 0-4-2

I'd add a LT&S 4-4-2T to that list as well.

I've often wondered if anyone would make non-running locomotives... personally i'd buy plenty, i've picked up some of the Atlas Editions N scale locomotives for use as non-running static additions to engine sheds, stations etc either as they are (ie the Midland Spinner and Claud Hamilton) or using the chassis or other parts to kitbash (i'm using one of the 4-4-0's to provide a chassis for a static N Gauge North Eastern Railway O Class/G5 0-4-4T). The Dapol kits presumably sell fairly well...

• RMweb Premium

With their current range, Oxford Diecast also considers how many liveries and possible tooling variants (depending on how economically viable they are) so I think they'll only consider specific loco classes if they've appeared in more than one livery over their lifetimes.

It'll be very interesting if they're considering carriages and wagons as well, although I suspect they'll going for the collector's market such as Corgi and Great British Locomotives have done and focus on locos.

• RMweb Gold

I've often wondered if anyone would make non-running locomotives... personally i'd buy plenty, i've picked up some of the Atlas Editions N scale locomotives for use as non-running static additions to engine sheds, stations etc either as they are (ie the Midland Spinner and Claud Hamilton) or using the chassis or other parts to kitbash (i'm using one of the 4-4-0's to provide a chassis for a static N Gauge North Eastern Railway O Class/G5 0-4-4T). The Dapol kits presumably sell fairly well...

It all depends on whether we are seeing an expansion of Oxford's product range to include railway models or a diversification into the model railway market. There are very good reasons to make them 'runners'.

1. Whilst a motorized loco is perfectly suitable for static display, the converse does not apply.

2. There is not much evidence upon which to gauge the sales potential of static display locomotives in OO whereas the market for working ones is well established.

3. Simplification is a lot more noticeable in OO than N and the tooling for a detailed but non-working representation of a locomotive chassis is probably not going to be much cheaper than that needed to produce a functional one.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

I like todays webpage message

Wait........

Extremely clever marketing for definite. If they are static models then still a good development as if they match up to the vehicle range (which they undoubtedly will) then they still have purpose as said above in being the loco snoozing happily in the loco shed

Just hope the announcement matches up to the froth

I still think it is a Jones Goods.....and imaging biplane, Terry Thomas, Old Warden tunnel, and Goldington Power sataion in the background.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO7-_fGqGTg

I would be quite happy if it were the Jones Goods.  Eliminates one of the possible/probable Adams Radial duplicates and introduces a delightful prototype from the less modeled end of the British Isles. I may model Padstow but I also have a secret desire to do Wick or Thurso...

• Like 3

I picked up an old M&GN history book at Peteborough at the weekend. Surprising how many of their old locos looked very similar (stovepipe chimney excepted). Not that I am suggesting it is an M&GN, but I can hope...

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram

• RMweb Premium

:scratchhead:Today this rhyme has appeared    " His past is hidden from me now. But be quite clear I make this vow. To find the truth of why he went.  Those buried thoughts that he has sent."    Not very informative.

• RMweb Premium

:scratchhead:Today this rhyme has appeared    " His past is hidden from me now. But be quite clear I make this vow. To find the truth of why he went.  Those buried thoughts that he has sent."    Not very informative.

I'm familiar with the rhyme but for the life of me I can't remember where I heard it before.