Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

coachmann's coaches....

Having etched and built an ex.LNWR Diagram M76 push pull trailer as modified by the LMS from an LNWR D265 corridor third, I decided to do the reverse today and produce a D265 from left-over M76 etchings. An M76 is shown below for comparison........

post-6680-0-50285800-1412875335.jpg

The modifications involved using two sets of etched sides and splicing in an extra full compartments and lavatory at one end. The cut & shut bits were soldered together along with strengthening strips....

post-6680-0-93212400-1412873428.jpg

post-6680-0-16376600-1412873430.jpg

The rest of the coach body was built as for an M76 except that the V-hangers were fitted diagonally opposed as for normal passenger stock whereas they were mounted on one side of the chassis on push-pull coaches to clear the original mechanical rodding. 

post-6680-0-74449100-1412873431.jpg

post-6680-0-17456000-1412873433.jpg

LNWR 9' Deepframe bogies were soldered up and fitted along with my usual adaptor plates to take Bachmann couplings....

post-6680-0-17268000-1412873434.jpg

These coaches were only 8' 6" wide and construction commenced in 1908. They eventually became one of the most numerous LNWR coaches. A number were still running in early BR days and some lasted as Camping coaches until 1972.....

post-6680-0-25319200-1412873435.jpg

Railway coaches generally had a 35 years lifespan although many pre-group vehicles exceeded this by  good margin due to the need to keep coaches in traffic during the Second World War and during the materials shortage of the early post-war years. Conversely, coaches built in the late 1940's when seasoned wood was scarce had short lives. LMS 'Porthole' coaches barely reached 23 years while the Thompson, Hawksworth and Bulleid cousins fared somewhat worse. 

LNWR coaches lasted well into the BR era especially compared to MR Clerestory coaches. One would assume that LNW coaches built 1908-10 would have gone by 1950, but some lasted until 1956. In 'LNWR Coaches' by David Jenkinson, the author makes reference to some coaches facing withdrawal in 1956 as carrying BR red (very few LNWR corridor coaches got carmine & cream). I didn't have a coach in this livery so this is the first.....

post-6680-0-15203400-1412952288.jpg

The sun came out a short time ago so this is a truer image of the red. I should add I am awaiting some fittings including buffers......

post-6680-0-54151900-1412952290.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi John, I use a straightforward Weller 45watt iron (it is not variable) for all soldering. It's a bit like being a joiner who could buy a full tool kit but finds it more convenient to use a hammer for everything! I'm not sure the etched sides were created as overlays but they might have been. I simply use them as sides in place of my own etchings to give me more variety. Liqid flux is home mixed and solder is 145 or something like that................ Im not being facetious, its just that I rarely consider the technicalities and have enough solder to see me through till I'm really old.

I suspect you didn't mention the key ingredient.... lots of skill though lots of experience. Thanks,

John.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

After loads of moaning elsewhere on the Forum (can't remember which thread), you Coach have made a superb job of that. It looks great mate and such simple mods too.

Thank you for going back to showing us and thus inspiring us with your lovely coach building/modification.

Much appreciated,

Phil R

• RMweb Premium

Coach

Looks good.

I have seen on of these with an MJT chassis fitted by Rupert Brown (on the Little Bytham thread) and it makes ac difference. Having said that the Hornby changes look good.

Baz

...who PM'd me to phone her. Not only could she supply a Buffet but the coaches came with a very kind offer and prompt despatch. Great service from a smashing girl!  :declare:

You silver tongued devil you!

As ever, lovely work Larry. Whatever the shortcomings of the original Hornby Gresley's, you have transformed them into something special.

• 4 weeks later...

Larry

i have just started on some Southern Pride Thompson etched sides on old Bachmann Coaches. I have read that Evostick dries out over time and the Brass lifts off the body. Have you ever had such a problem? . I have just attached a the first pair a BG set with Araldite which wasn't the easiest operation. 

Lovely work on the Gresleys.

In #26 you mention that later Hornby Gresleys have improved beading. Apologies if this has already been covered, but does it mean that the beading on the sides below the windows is now in the right place - I seem to remember that when these coaches originally came out the middle horizontal bead was wrongly positioned.

Many thanks, and I'm sure I'm not alone in being delighted to see your remarkable work back in these pages.

John.

Believe it or not I did take a Christmas break starting two weeks before the event, but thank goodness for the escape TV retreat while her indoors watched her soaps. The first shot shows an LMS D1807 open third built during the Period II era......

attachicon.gifWEB LMS D1807 open 3rd.jpg

The LMS had built so many Period I 2-window open coaches that a Period II open brake third design was never produced. The first Period III variant was actually a Stanier version of the Period I coach with the same interior dimensions. Only 20 to D1913 were built. The sides are Comet-Wizard with hinges added....

attachicon.gifWEB D1913 brake open 3rd.jpg

Hi

having built a couple of LMS period II Comet coaches during the year I was very interested to see your open 3rd. Can you advise how you made the window vent toplights on yours as there were no parts in the second hand kits that I built and having closely examined the windows on a similar coach at the NRM I opted to simply score vertical marks on the frosted glazing materials to represent the individual glazing panes in the shut position. However, in your picture you appear to have separate fittings that you have fitted externally to the toplights - were they part of the Comet kit or are they something you manufactured yourself?

Regards

Bob Hoskins

Hi Bob, the real things are called Stones Vents, and yes those on the model are my nickel silver etchings. I design every component of my coaches although I do not do the CAD drawings for etching.

Thanks Larry - do you sell your own components and for that matter do you produce and sell your own kits? Most of what I build are covered by Comet, 247 Developments and Roxey Mouldings but it would be good to know if there were some alternatives out there?

Best wishes

Bob Hoskins

Hi Bob. Kits were considered and some etched sheets were designed to 'break' ready for packing into boxes. Over the years I have had a taste of supplying bogie and other kits not to mention model bus parts, but they take up time, are not that profitable, and I have to reply to questions about assembly when customers are in difficulty. At this stage of the game I am simply ticking over for a few regular customers who want RTR brass coaches and so none of my components are sold as accessories.

Fully understand - many thanks Larry

Regards

Bob

Thanks. I wonder if you have no trouble building a coach and it is the painting stage that you look on with trepidation, Halfords supplies the etching primer and maybe also a car aerosol that closely matches a railway colour. I think lining is available as a transfer and its application shouldn't be too difficult on a flush sided coach. My last desire is to put people off, in fact I only upload images to encourage this side of modelling and because I think some members like to see pictures of model coaches.

For me, Larry's posts (along with several others here), epitomise what RMWeb is all about. Not only are the finished articles beautifully photographed, Larry freely shares a vast wealth of knowledge about both his construction methods and the background to the prototypes. The value of this is priceless.

Volunteering at Pendon, I'm well aware that such excellence can inspire or depress in equal measure. Many of our visitors arrive at the end of their tour vowing to chuck their own efforts in the bin. I try to encourage them not to lose heart. Use it as inspiration to raise your game on your next piece of scenery, building or in the case of this thread - piece of rolling stock, even if you try something different in just one aspect.

Thanks to everyone on here for their contributions in 2014 - looking forward to many more next year!

Andy

Archived