Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

coachmann's coaches....

• RMweb Premium

A Gresley end door D211 corridor composite from 1936, probably the kind of coach folk would like Hornby to produce. One again it has taken longer than it takes me to solder a whole coach together and paint it. Two things remain to be rectified this evening.....

attachicon.gifWEB D211 compo C.jpg

careful, thats a nice rake of maroon gresleys.... all you need now is some nice maroon Staniers......

Baz

• RMweb Gold

Those end door Gresleys really look the goods Larry. I am very tempted to have a go at a few on the all door ones I got from Shildon, though the all door stock seemed to be more common on Leeds bound services according to my research so far.

Cheers

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Larry. Just been searching for some Hawksworth sides other than Comets and came across a Gresley D28 all steel Open set of etched sides on the Southern Pride site; (£6.50 + PP.....SP Refernec No EB4.) Have you used this set at any time having seen you need for end door opens? I'm tempted, having used some SP Thompson sides; they are very good quality etches.

Phil. 

(P.S. Have not found any Hawksworth sides I may require, other than Comet's, that are available now.) 

I have followed this thread with interest and will be implementing your methods on some B*****d coaches I am fitting new sides to and also redo a couple of Staniers I did before.

• RMweb Premium

Coach, may I ask what paint mix or decal is that single line above the windows?  I ask because it gives just about the right amount of relief needed if panel repairing on  coaches or 'reinforcement on steel sided (say) B******   :nono: coaches. 

This coach demonstrates how good the LMS/MR later stock looked in maroon; very modern at the time (and still IMO).

Many thanks,

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Lining of black and yellow is done in cellulose paint. I was slightly disappointed that this Bachmann corridor second did not look as good as the compo,.... The latter is the best model of an LMS coach ever produced in my view. 

I have in the past used cellulose lining to represent the beading strips added to Stanier coaches in later years to protect panel joints.

Thanks Coach. That last statement describes exactly what I was trying to ask..that is, the reinforcing 'beading'.

At some time in the future you may see my attempts to recreate such 'beading'.

Forgot to say....neat 'trick' with using the Hornby end to save fitting the Comet end. It will be interesting to see how that looks. 

Phil 

• RMweb Premium

In grey primer awaiting BR maroon. It was too much to hope the panelling would line up but I may be able to disguise things with the lining. The original glazing that goes in the guards door and toplight will be fitted after painting....

attachicon.gifWEB D196 11.jpg

If my memory serves me correctly from loads of pics I have looked at during the past three or four years, lots of Gresleys and particularly Brakes, looked quite 'warped' and rather rickety by the late 50s/early 60s. Thus, your coach, although improved hugely by your lining skills, will be quite prototypical.

P

Hi Larry

I am just completing a Comet Thompson FK and I am planning to finish it in crimson & cream livery having previously built several Thompsons in maroon.

I notice from the pictures of crimson & cream Gresley stock that you have built that you have given them a black edging to the roof gutter and was wondering if this was common practice with all LNER coaching stock whilst carrying crimson & cream livery. I notice you appear to do this with your LMS coaches in C&C livery also.

I wasn't previously aware of this gutter being black and have drawn a blank in trying to find suitable pictures of Thompson stock in C&C livery during BR days that clearly show this feature (the gutter overhang tends to create a slight shadow in black & white photos which makes it difficult to establish). It certainly enhances the look of the stock so I am wondering if it was common practice or not as I may have to get the lining pen out?

Regards

Bob 

• RMweb Gold

On metal coaches I used Halford etching grey primer for every livery. On plastic I used Halfords plastic primer. It is somewhat darker. The grey is ideal for teak because the base coat is tan colour.

I used some grey primer,not the recommended Halfords and it dried slightly glossy.Will it be OK to put a base coat for teak over it or shall I recoat it with Halfords like I should have in the first place.

Archived