ive got a photo scan from a friend which shows what is clearly 0-4-2 "severn" but named Hecate

I recently received a book about the Shropshire and Montgomeryshire and it mentions the Col. was a bit of a reuser as far as names. He had several "Hecate" Locomotives and several "Severn" as well. As far as I can tell the only engine that had a unique name throughout all his many railways was "Gazelle" By all accounts the man had names he wanted for his engines and unlike someone in the hobby of collecting models or trading cards, ECT he was quite fine with duplicates. 

Ah the writer I aspire to be can see the point he had for this though. I have had several character concepts named "Silas" including the main hero of a comic series I hope to write soon. Some names just click with you. Funny story on the Silas thing is I'm trying to connect to my Scottish ancestry and I've been a Disney fan for well nearly 3 decades with Scrooge McDuck being a fond favorite and knowing the lore of the character Scrooge's Great great Grandfather was Silas Mcduck. 

Ah rest in piece Alan Young. You will be missed but your legacy is in good hands.

The same engine carried both names,  it is very much on the list of engines I want to model.

Are we talking "Severn" the 0-4-2 there? I can appreciate that loco I just am more fond of the 0-8-0 "Hecate" and Gazelle too.

Edited by 844fan

A close up of the Egyptian Waterloo showing the valve link on the running plate, it is a bearing holding a short shaft with cranks on either end to connect the inside stephenson valve gear with the outside cylinder valve chest

post-9948-0-16527800-1496832728_thumb.jpg

shown on Thunderchild is a block of styrene with the corners rounded, bolt heads and the top of the cranks

34344496443_76dcb4274a_z.jpgThunderchild (122) by Sam, on Flickr

Ive been pondering for a while which way to do the cab steps but then i got a par of brass loco steps from the late friends stuff

i decided to glue styrene blocks on the underside of the footplate and screw the steps to them

34767910640_00aec1fa04_z.jpgThunderchild (121) by Sam, on Flickr

the steps with holes drilled

34767914780_fc3483bdd2_z.jpgThunderchild (123) by Sam, on Flickr

but i found that the steps were too long as they were supposed to for loco with common footplate height like around 4 foot but Thunderchild's footplate is only 3 foot so the bottom step was almost at rail height so i unsoldered the steps and cut down the back and re drilled the holes

34344500163_2a9bc47b7b_z.jpgThunderchild (127) by Sam, on Flickr

the steps were soldered back on

35023673541_c07e9cf4f1_z.jpgThunderchild (128) by Sam, on Flickr

I thought of posing Thunderchild and some stock in the liking of Kynite after it was retired, i dont have a LTSR carriage but my 4 wheeler will do

35024238821_230a0ba951_z.jpgThunderchild (129) by Sam, on Flickr

post-9948-0-92806400-1496833567.jpg

• Like 8

I thought of posing Thunderchild and some stock in the liking of Kynite after it was retired, i dont have a LTSR carriage but my 4 wheeler will do

35024238821_230a0ba951_z.jpgThunderchild (129) by Sam, on Flickr

attachicon.gifKS 692 - 1901 kynite corringham (9).jpg

A very nice and happier feeling recreation there Sam. I always hate seeing Locos in such condition. I've seen a photo of a old firebox that was by the looks of it ripped off in a explosion (Cannot think of any other way it could of landed like it had otherwise.) and the ribbing of the box rusting away made me just see a set of rib cages removed and laid aside to rot.  :swoon:  The feeling of it even though I knew it was steel or copper or some other metal it just made me think flesh of a proud worker.  :( Guess I have the heart of a true railway man because seeing a loco fall apart is like watching a friend or family member succumb to something they have fought and lost.

"Those colossal creations of Iron, Steel, Copper and Aluminum were powerless to turn the clock back. The young boys watching in awe as the huge Iron Horses passed are grown up now."- Golden Age of Steam on the end of the era of steam.

Most of us know they had spirits of their own and it is just so sad to see parts of such living machines rot so callously. But thanks to many out there their legacy is coming back. Keep the modles looking great Sam you really have some good skills and a knack for showing engines not many even knew were out there.   

• 1 month later...

Having a little play session yesterday on my layout and found that Rebecca is a bit giddy a bit like the Hornby pug, which is either not moving or going fast, Rebecca isnt any where as bad but not as good as i want it to be so im going to rebuild the gearbox with a new gear ratio

36036313402_30b06e1138_b.jpgRebecca (124) by Sam, on Flickr

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 5

the gearbox is now out and taken apart, and next will be drawing the new gearbox

Do you by chance have any experience rebuilding the motors as well Sam? Even my father as capable a mechanic and electrocution as he is (And trust me he's the best in the county we live in) gives up on motors that stop. I'd just like to be able to rebuild them myself.

Enginelane has very kindly given me a wagon kit he doesnt want, he would rather give it away than sell it as it was a present family years ago

the kit in question is a Parkside LMS van, this is it after 2-3 hours after starting it last night

36173846125_5da3e62050_c.jpgwagon lms forster by Sam, on Flickr

Good to see it being put to good use, I am sure you will do the kit justice

i can replace a broken end because of broken wire fixing points but only on certain types of motor like below, but thats all i can do

https://www.jayconsystems.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/x960/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/J/S/JS-8592.jpg

JS-8592.jpg

http://www.lusolarelectronics.com/images/SMS4.jpg

SMS4.jpg

Fair enough my friend. I guess I'm just going to learn how to fix them myself. Heh I got a good teacher for the basics on electronics and mechanical stuff I just need to figure out the bushings, Brushes and that stuff elsewhere. ;) If I ever do get the hang of it I'll pass what I know on.

the gearbox is now built and running but hit a small snag because it doesnt fit between the pickup mountings which i had forgotten about

cutting the frames from nickel sheet

35484667053_93bb1b14c3_b.jpgrebecca (125) by Sam, on Flickr

finished frames with drawing

36248933186_03d15e3c9b_b.jpgrebecca (126) by Sam, on Flickr

assembled bearbox sans motor

36289881035_e129e861a0_b.jpgrebecca (127) by Sam, on Flickr

and with motor, its the frame stretcher thats fouling the pick up block shown below with the bottom screw on the frame

36289883115_1334519c73_b.jpgrebecca (128) by Sam, on Flickr

the problem shown below are the clips that the pickups sit in which had not taken into account

36289884915_2e1ee1fc5a_b.jpgrebecca (129) by Sam, on Flickr

elsewhere, this pic shows how the motor is offset from centre of the gear box to the right so i took out the styrene block on the inside of the axle bearing on the left to even it out so the motor is central

36289887145_8578c5e3c8_b.jpgrebecca (130) by Sam, on Flickr

but once i can get it to fit, rebecca will have the same 140:1 ratio as the Planet

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 5

today i got the version 3 gearbox built and fitted. it runs nicely, and I'll do a running video tomorrow night at the club

marking the sides and drilling pilot holes

35954905250_87d0700003_b.jpgRebecca (132) by Sam, on Flickr

cut and filed, the holes all drilled out to size

35954909400_c4d3cd1e92_b.jpgRebecca (133) by Sam, on Flickr

gearbox assembled, instead of making a new motor mounting plate, i used the previous one but with an extension soldered on

35954914140_93166b7c5d_b.jpgRebecca (134) by Sam, on Flickr

all that was left was to drill holes for the retaining pin, put the plugs together and a drop of oil on the gears

35954917970_a14d0b5474_b.jpgRebecca (135) by Sam, on Flickr

35954920760_861b4b9e00_b.jpgRebecca (136) by Sam, on Flickr

well not quite as now i need to take some material from the inside of the firebox for the gearbox to fit the body

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 3

back to the LMS van for a bit, buffers and hooks fitted,  door handles bent from brass wire slotted into 2 drilled holes as the original handles were missing, the door latches are also missing so i'll need to consult some books at the club tonight

35557088703_8a4a562fc5_b.jpgwagon lms van (2) by Sam, on Flickr

partitions added behind the buffers for adding the shot later

35968669160_5af42c1c77_b.jpgwagon lms van (3) by Sam, on Flickr

• Like 6

running video with LMS van

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sQevFkd6sA&feature=youtu.be

36247178801_c639264d81_b.jpg5-8-2017 by Sam, on Flickr

You know the more I see of your Rebecca model Sam the more I'm positively happy I picked this type as one of my Harbour shunters. The Kitsons really suit a tight work area and all alongside my Lochgorm and the little Pugsy we've been talking about all three short wheel bases with more power than you'd think.

On Rebecca, the middle link of the coupling chain has been changed from 3 little links to one ordinary and a curve has been filed into the corners of the buffer blocks. the new chain link was made using the jig mentioned below
36264772151_5c39157106_b.jpgrebecca (137) by Sam, on Flickr

For the lms van i am borrowing volume 1 of Lms wagons by Essery, this has helped me with the latch and the missing horizontal bar, i originally thought that the latches were missing but they werent, they were just so shallow on the moulding that i didnt see them at first, they were filed off and new latches scratchbuilt with styrene
35593889333_36bfbcc729_b.jpgwagon lms van (5) by Sam, on Flickr

and after a coat of grey
36264776721_526af2a1c4_h.jpgwagon lms van (4) by Sam, on Flickr

After a second coat, the pin and chain can be fitted to the latches and paint on the black areas and the white roof

When i was about to make up some chain for the van, i was thinking that a brass forming jig would be better than the styrene one i was currently using because after having steel  wire squashed agaisnt it many times it was deforming and slightly out of shape, so a few hours ago i made this below, i didnt have just the right thickness brass so 2 different thicknees were soldered together and filed down a tiny bit to make it, the oval is 2mm by 5.5mm and an extra bit was soldered on the hold the end of the wire while i bent it round, the wire i'm using is a pack of paper clips of 0.9mm dia' mild steel so there is a 0.9mm gap in the jig, one paper clip will nicely do 6 links without offcut
35593886783_0b2206df0a_h.jpgchain jig by Sam, on Flickr

its not that clear because of the brass shining from the camera flash so here

post-9948-0-26489000-1502019958_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

The other day i finally got around to replacing the hooks on the carriages which were not good enough now, the 4-wheel carriage's hooks were quite crudely cut by me back in Jan 2015 (page 2 on here) but didnt have chain holes and the bogie carriage's hooks did have chain holes but were plastic and werent sprung, so using some screw links, springs, washers and split pins from the late friends stuff, the hooks were replaced

while the carriages were on the workbench i took the opportunity to do some other work, on the 4-wheel the previously red bufferstocks and hookplate were painted black

35624362094_3ae759322d_b.jpgcarriage 1 (7) by Sam, on Flickr

36413876866_017a7d1f03_b.jpgcarriage 2 (9) by Sam, on Flickr

To replace the hooks on the bogie carriage, the bogies had to be removed and in doing so noticed that one them was damaged, the central cross member had come apart from side, so while the bogies were off i didnt just repair it but beefed up both of them make them stronger

35624364074_72d8e0a279_b.jpgcarriage 2 (8) by Sam, on Flickr

Blocks were added to the corners and the ends of the central cross members to strengthen the joins and blocks added to the pivot screw hole because that was being reamed out by the screw thread over time. when this pic was taken i had yet to drill through the screw holes and put the bogies back onto the body

36437632476_03a6a33c69_b.jpgcarriage 2 (10) by Sam, on Flickr

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 4

ive been thinking of adding an introduction of sorts to the first post, so people who find the thread and start reading will get an idea of what its like and ive been thinking that some may be uninterested by the poorer quality modelling i started out with on the first page and dont continue, an intro has been added, ive thought of putting in an index of each build like others do but since the progress of each build is spread out and they over lap each other i dont know so instead i'm thinking of just listing what ive done and let them go through on their own?

what do you think?

as mentioned on the deffors thread i might be rebuilding the Planet to a pre WW2 loco and swapping the fergie for a 30's tractor to back date the layout

so far i can only find 1 loco that looks like it'll fit the chassis, Simplex "Helen" at Foxfield, but its a bit plain and boxy

http://www.preserved-railways.co.uk/gallery/Foxfield%20Steam%20Railway/Foxfield%20Steam%20Railway%20Page%201/07414_%20-%20No%202262%200-4-0%204wDM%20(Helen)%20%20Shunter%20at%20Foxfield%20Station%20S-O-T%2024.08.2002.jpg

07414_%20-%20No%202262%200-4-0%204wDM%20

• Like 3

the LMS van is almost finished, a third coat on the roof is still to do and a bit of weathering but it now has transfers and lead weight so it's finished enough to run

the transfer sheet gives you 4 pairs of number sets but i decided that i didnt want to use them and have one of the other wagon numbers out of the book, i like these transfers because black right-way round copy of the transfers is provided on the back so you can position them just right when applying them.

36397623372_62503a2d7d_b.jpglms van (8) by Sam, on Flickr

the book is LMS Wagons volume 1 by Essery, this copy is borrowed from the club, the number i chose is 203975 as shown here but as my layout is post war, the "ventilated van" wont be on it as they were discontinued soon after building

36169315610_c49922ac58_b.jpglms van (7) by Sam, on Flickr

the transfer sheet also provides 2 rows of individual numbers for if you want a different number, so these had to be applied individually, the lower piece of tape is a guide to keep the numbers in line and the backing sheet has numbers penciled on as a spacing guide 

36169319590_84a50b9d7d_b.jpglms van (9) by Sam, on Flickr

i couldnt see clearly on any of the photos in LMS period of where the tare weight numbers are and there doesnt seem to be any standard livery between the different batches so i put it under the running number

36566037025_093cefe698_b.jpglms van (10) by Sam, on Flickr

Once the hooks were back on styrene boxes were built around the springs ready for the lead shot, i started by filling the 3 central partitions width ways and they were enough to bring it up to 125g so the boxes werent needed

36519608696_f76fbcc9fc_b.jpglms van (11) by Sam, on Flickr

The problem now is that if im going to keep the layout int he early 50's, the van will have to be more heavily weathered as if its worn out and hasnt been patched and repainted yet because its now a few years after nationalisation but this one has escaped the brush and kept running.

If i change the layout to the 30's the van should only be very lightly weathered because it'll only be about 10 years old, i cant undo the weathering from heavy to light after its been done without a complete repaint but i dont have the new transfers for it afterwards and i will have wasted the current transfers

And about the Halfmoon rebuild, the shop my dad went in didnt have any diecast tractors so the back dating will have to be put on hold

• Like 1

as mentioned on the deffors thread i might be rebuilding the Planet to a pre WW2 loco and swapping the fergie for a 30's tractor to back date the layout

so far i can only find 1 loco that looks like it'll fit the chassis, Simplex "Helen" at Foxfield, but its a bit plain and boxy

http://www.preserved-railways.co.uk/gallery/Foxfield%20Steam%20Railway/Foxfield%20Steam%20Railway%20Page%201/07414_%20-%20No%202262%200-4-0%204wDM%20(Helen)%20%20Shunter%20at%20Foxfield%20Station%20S-O-T%2024.08.2002.jpg

07414_%20-%20No%202262%200-4-0%204wDM%20

You sure Sam? She looks adorable to me. Then again I found older Unimogs kind of cute to a degree. Not anything unhealthy just the ones that look like tractors. The ATV lookalikes are too utilitarian for my taste. 

Well if you don't use this one in your models I may add her to my harbor fleet. Well when I add Diesels that is. She is a diesel right? I've mixed electrics and diesels up before though IMHO one could be converted to the other easily enough if the railway has a good enough workshop I mean a DE is a electric engine with a power plant inside it while a electric engine either has a battery or a external power supply.