i bought a secondhand white metal wagon at Ally Pally, here it is after taking off the buffers and hooks ready for painting, but i also took out the floor as it was thin and flimsy embossed sheet so i replaeced it with 1mm black styrenne which ived scribed, but the main thing is that after getting home i noticed something unusual about the brake gear and after posing the question over in the prototype questions, its a GWR dean-churchward brakegear, so it must also be a GWR wagon but since im going to paint it up as one of my ficticous private owners, i dont want the DC brakes

33314688350_caf16c9eb9_k.jpgwagon 3 by Sam, on Flickr

the new floor super glued in

33831374136_8f28057a5d_z.jpgwagon 3 (3) by Sam, on Flickr

the brake gear had to be taken apart, not just to remove the dc rodding but also because the leverage of the reach rods were the wrong way around on the shaft

33742988141_ee5b8a4ec1_z.jpgwagon 3 (2) by Sam, on Flickr

And after painting over the chassis and body corners, i still ned to do a second coat of brown before doing the metal work

33831379346_74e7f356da_z.jpgwagon 3 (4) by Sam, on Flickr

• Like 5

a source states Kynite's livery as brick red so im using Railmatch dark brick which i have already painted onto the wheels, cylinders and the back of the cab

Sounds like a great choice my friend. I'll let you be the judge of weather or not to give her the Black and white stripes.

The GWR wagon (HLR 33) had to have a buffer glued back on after it fell off at Ally Pally, while i had it out, i gave it a weathering, while doing so i realised a slight mistake with my wagons. everytime ive been weathering the bodies but leaving the chassis clean so this time i gave the chassis a weathering as well with a dry brush of Railmatch dark rust. since the wagon is envisaged to be more of a goods carrier that n coal, it doesnt need a heavy black weathering and more of a brown for general wear and tear

33793713052_0cff3538fc_c.jpgwagon gwr (5) by Sam, on Flickr

• Like 1

On last monday night i bought some modelling supplies down at the club from the collection of a member that passed away a few months ago. nuts & bolts, wheels, a pack of 16 bearings, loco chimney, smokebox dart and a half built wagon kit

the kit is a NER 20 ton, it has some missing parts but nothing major; bearings, V hangers, coupling hooks, buffers, handrails, brake levers and axle boxes. The bearings have been replaced from the pack mentioned above, the V hangers, hooks and brake levers have been replaced from my collection of wagon bits, The axle boxes will have to be scratch built and I will have wait until Doncaster in June for the buffers. The kit does still have its transfers and thety are unused and in good condition so I will be finishing off the wagon in its proper livery

33166035484_1b3acb5824_z.jpgwagon NER by Sam, on Flickr

With the wheels and 4 more of the bearings, together with a pack of axle boxes i already had i could make a start on another dumb buffer wagon which i had already put together the chassis timber sometime last year

33196943343_041646c3fc_z.jpgwagon (4) by Sam, on Flickr

The cattle wagon i mentioned will be based on the LNWR diagram 21

33997624672_24ff98f34b_z.jpgwagon cattle (8) by Sam, on Flickr

Edited 26th may 2017 to fix the un available photo

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 5

On last monday night i bought some modelling supplies down at the club from the collection of a member that passed away a few months ago. nuts & bolts, wheels, a pack of 16 bearings, loco chimney, smokebox dart and a half built wagon kit

the kit is a NER 20 ton, it has some missing parts but nothing major; bearings, V hangers, coupling hooks, buffers, handrails, brake levers and axle boxes. The bearings have been replaced from the pack mentioned above, the V hangers, hooks and brake levers have been replaced from my collection of wagon bits, The axle boxes will have to be scratch built and I will have wait until Doncaster in June for the buffers. The kit does still have its transfers and thety are unused and in good condition so I will be finishing off the wagon in its proper livery

33166035484_1b3acb5824_z.jpgwagon NER by Sam, on Flickr

With the wheels and 4 more of the bearings, together with a pack of axle boxes i already had i could make a start on another dumb buffer wagon which i had already put together the chassis timber sometime last year

33196943343_041646c3fc_z.jpgwagon (4) by Sam, on Flickr

The cattle wagon i mentioned will be based on the LNWR diagram 21

33166039124_dbb1a93706_z.jpgwagon cattle (8) by Sam, on Flickr

I am sure Tony would have been delighted it has gone to a good home

continuing with the dumb buffer wagon, as before, the body is cut and scribed from 2mm fruit crate

34114046566_2c3f906e09_z.jpgwagon 4 (2) by Sam, on Flickr

this time i tried using rivet punched brass on the corners and this time I'm trying an end door wagon very loosely based on a HMRS photo

33343789733_b8e6d73ee1_z.jpgwagon 4 (3) by Sam, on Flickr

i cant find the photo on their website but here it is on flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/28709338@N04/28237148276/

28237148276_a9896e91ef.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

I got some enthusiasm for the Kerr Stuart back yesterday so i made a start on a second try at the boiler barrel, the first try didnt turn out right, not because of the method but just because of a few mistakes i made along the way like cutting too much out for the motor leaving a big gap around it and the end of the gearbox

4 squares cut out of 1.75mm white styrene at 23mm square
34061442760_6e2e320f57_z.jpgThunderchild (84) by Sam, on Flickr

holes were drilled in the centre of the squares and the corners snipped off, the next step was making them into circles so i set up my "lathe", a mains drill in the bench clamp( this was how i did things before like the Kitson's chimney cap and the Planet's horn)
34286652472_e94963cee7_z.jpgThunderchild (85) by Sam, on Flickr

dont worry about the tape, it isnt structural at all, the drill is safe, its just holding a sliding switch over one way

the circles were threaded on steel rod at the right distance apart
34286655622_2c077a8d3f_z.jpgThunderchild (86) by Sam, on Flickr

the barrel itself is .75mm black styrene, i was going to pre bend it like before but that would have the same crease lines so instead i wrapped it around a tube of smaller diameter as required, clamped it down to the tube with tie wraps and heated it with a hair drier, an experiment that i wasnt sure would work but it did. the barrel was then glued onto the circles and held on with elastic bands until dry then the rod and bands were removed
33636478443_27e504366c_z.jpgThunderchild (87) by Sam, on Flickr

This time i made sure as to only take out the necessary amount of barrel for the motor, here it is glued in. the chimney isnt glued on yet as i had just glued in the 8mm extension onto it with a bit of scrap model tank gun barrel
33636481463_6fc19ed88b_z.jpgThunderchild (88) by Sam, on Flickr

on other places, i decided to glue on the backhead and drilled the handrail holes in the footplate

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 6

progress steadily rolling forward,

first coat of cream in the cab and the backhead has been painted, the brake column was bought from S&Dmodels backj when i bought parts for Rebecca and i bought 2 columns, shown here glued on

33664572984_f1fc8ae7db_z.jpgThunderchild (89) by Sam, on Flickr

a whitemetal reversing lever also bought from the estate of the late club member painted and ready to go on, on the left are the coal bunkers. Im guessing that Kynite had 2 bunkers because it had little lids on both sides on the tank top just in front of the cab and a drawing of a near identical loco in a recently bought book shows the coal bunker on one side going just in front of the cab. its also shown on the Egyptian Kerr Stuart on the previous page, the front end of the bunker is the vertical line of rivets in the tank side. this has also meant taking off the column and cutting off the base, the column will be glued to the side of the left hand bunker and the reversing lever will go inbetween the right hand bunker and the backhead. Ive painted on a brass surround because i like it but i very much doubt that Kynite would have had it since it wasnt their style

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/91456-sirdouglas-o-gauge/?p=2669083

34506851515_ac6658e52b_z.jpgThunderchild (90) by Sam, on Flickr

After the surround was painted, the lever went in and making sure it isnt going to be in the way of the bunker. the water gauge was the second of a pair bought for rebecca but only one was used. the regulator handle is now made and glued on but not painted

33696823163_27a09cf4ff_z.jpgThunderchild (92) by Sam, on Flickr

A start was made opn the trailing wheel, Im sure ive previously mentioned my thoughts on the articulation but ive instead chosen to go with the bog standard-easy to do method of a simple arm. here the wheelset is trail fitted to the frame which is a knock-off-meccano bracket re bent to a new profile and the bearings soldered in, as i know from previous experience that solder doesnt stick well to steel, this just forms a rim to stop the bearing sliding out of place just like the bearing's own rim on the other side

33696829613_1fd8f57201_z.jpgThunderchild (93) by Sam, on Flickr

The arm is cut from a scrap of nickel sheet which was a rejected gearbox frame

34506890635_df0501944a_z.jpgThunderchild (95) by Sam, on Flickr

That was cut in half and then 2 holes drilled for 10ba bolts

33696851003_ebdec16139_z.jpgThunderchild (96) by Sam, on Flickr

The arm was cut. drilled and bent, the end of the arm is dished around the hole to give free movement around the bolt head

34465667646_3a01b721bc_z.jpgThunderchild (97) by Sam, on Flickr

A new stretcher was glued in as the pivot point for the trailing wheel

33696818683_4b30728888_z.jpgThunderchild (91) by Sam, on Flickr

The stretcher and the arm were painted matt black and the wheel fitted with a 10ba bolt

33696855903_23035b98a7_z.jpgThunderchild (99) by Sam, on Flickr

34465670466_bb1fd7245d_z.jpgThunderchild (98) by Sam, on Flickr

the rear buffers and hook need to go on befor the cab, so i might as well fit all of them

33696857553_2bc00bd071_z.jpgThunderchild (100) by Sam, on Flickr

its going to be easier painting the inner sides of the tanks and the sides of the boiler before the tanks go on, ive now got a second coat on, but no photo

• Like 10

The body is now glued down, the tanks and boiler filled with lead shot, smokebox door made, glued on and hinges added, the smokebox and chimney painted

gluing the back of the cab to the bufferbeam

34530358106_9133bd35e7_z.jpgDeffors (102) by Sam, on Flickr

elastic band holding the cab sides to the front and holding the tansk to the footplate with blocks of styrene spacing them from the boiler. whitemetal dart handle casting. the big four clips are to hold the foorplate down and keep it flat while i glue everything down as its been getting a little bit warped lately

34571297535_c6e141218e_z.jpgDeffors (104) by Sam, on Flickr

The top of the handrails are rolled strips of brass around the end of brass wire which are soldered together and this is superglued into the inside of the cab

33761286203_c4ebf93652_b.jpgDeffors (105) by Sam, on Flickr

with the loco now weighted down, i did some running and load testing, it can pull the wagons fine but the trailing wheel keeps jumping all over the place apparently at random which then also derails the driving wheels, ive tried adding some springing but that hasnt worked yet but ill keep at it

33761287893_7b9b21297f_z.jpgDeffors (106) by Sam, on Flickr

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 9

the photos were too big since changed to a new camera, and i wasnt going to try and shrink down every photo every time i want to post it so since i already had a flickr account and i knew how to BBcode them from doing so on NGRM i started doing it

Edited by sir douglas

a few month ago i started a new youtube channel and uploaded a few of my videos to it

Test run down at the club last night with some wagons and brake van

its jumping about because of the small wheelbase , one of the driving wheels is on a tiny bit wonky and its now got 2 whitemetal figures putting it off balance

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 7

filling the coal bunkers, blocks of polystyrene to fill the space with pva and coal dust on top

33891576674_18d950e8d7_z.jpgThunderchild (114) by Sam, on Flickr

33924688873_6b66c67af3_z.jpgThunderchild (120) by Sam, on Flickr

guard irons cut out of coupling hook etches

33891580594_5d898a68b8_z.jpgThunderchild (119) by Sam, on Flickr

some picks of current progress, coal bunker lids, nameplates and roof

34733870945_d16c1a121f_z.jpgThunderchild (118) by Sam, on Flickr

34602696961_12e81cb03c_z.jpgThunderchild (115) by Sam, on Flickr

34733874695_12e9c7689e_z.jpgThunderchild (116) by Sam, on Flickr

• Like 9

for now i'll finish the wagons that are half built, rebuilt or need attention, in time, the next loco i would like to build would be a Manning Wardle 0-4-0. either a D, E or an F class

ive got lots of photos of manning wardles off the internet over the years to help and a plan of a D class from the Fred Harman book (not the loco on the front cover), Wakefield library has got all 3 volumes of but theyre in the local history section which cant be taken out

https://pictures.abebooks.com/TIGGER2/19574901034.jpg

19574901034.jpg

MW D class fred harman.pdf

Edited by sir douglas

• RMweb Premium

Your projects are a very interesting & distinctive approach to modeling small, unusual SG industrial locos - keep going!

I do well to build a loco a year these days! Having somewhere to run them is as important.

Dava

• Like 1

On a whim i photographed all my locos together

34094307073_9fcf68efa1_z.jpg19-5-2017 (2) by Sam, on Flickr

Cordite and Kynite meet again in model form

34062065984_4537e4e016_z.jpg19-5-2017 (1) by Sam, on Flickr

After the Manning Wardle, the loco i would like to model is this 30hp petrol built in 1904 by J.W. Knowles of Bradford, the chassis and gearbox were built by Hudswell Clarke and the 8 cylinder Daimler engine supplied by Elsworth automobile Co also of Bradford. the loco worked for a dye works  in Low Moor, Bradford to replace their steam loco to save on not having to keep it in steam all day while not needed

these 2 pages are in The Hudswell Clarke diesel era book by Ron Redman

34062074054_b255c3909c_z.jpgknowles hudswell (1) by Sam, on Flickr

5 measurements are on the previous page;

- 15' length over buffers

- 8' 1" full width

- 6' 8" wheelbase

- 2' 6" wheel dia'

- 6' 11" cab headroom

Except for these measurements, my drawing will have to guess work based on the photo, here is the started drawing

34094309103_e3b743c54f_z.jpgknowles hudswell (3) by Sam, on Flickr

• Like 5

Very interesting Sam, not seen that before.  Is the railway at the bottom left of the old map part of the Low Moor system and the MW loco a Low Moor NG loco?

1- its a line to connect the little pits to the south and south-west like the Ben Ing pit shown to the mainline and the furnaces to the north-west if thats what the low moor system is then yes (i dont know anything about industrial lines around bradford)

2- do you mean the MW on the book front cover "charles Hardy" - i dont know where that loco worked it just happens to be the loco shown on the front cover of the book, i cant look at the book right now to see where it worked because its in the library

but a quick look on leedsengine.info instead says yes

post-9948-0-52573500-1495822771.jpg

just found 2 more ideas for loco names, "E.Taylor" and "Skyrack"

Enoch Taylor from Sandal, Wakefield was a land surveyor, i found out about him because i recently bought a copy of the book Heckbridge and Wentbridge railway by Grahame Boyes, what initially caught my interest in him was this,

"there is no evidence to indicate the type of track laid or its gauge. It is possible, because of Enoch Taylors earlier association with railways in the Wakefield area that the gauge was about 3ft 6 inch. It is probable however that edge rails were used; by 1826 the plate rails used on the Wakefield railways had gone out of Favour."

there were a few waggonways around wakefield like; Smithson, Flockton and the Lake Lock. but no doubt there would have been many more smaller un recorded lines.

All i could find online of Mr Taylor was an entry for his wife in the section "court for relief of insolvent debtors" The London Gazette in 1833; "Elizabeth Taylor, late of Sandal Magna, near Wakefield, Yorkshire, widow and administratrix of the goods, chatrels and credits of Enoch Taylor, late of Sandal Magna afore said land surveyor, deceased"

The trade directory section in The history, directory and gazeteer of the county of York, 1822 http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/WRY/Wakefield/Wakefield22Dry.html

"Taylor Enoch, Sandal"

Also, while i was looking through that history, directory and gazeteer of 1822 i also had a look at the entries my local area and the Wapontakes as i live in the Wapontake of Agbrigg, The Wapontake of Skyrack governed what we now know as Leeds, Skyrack roughly translates from Norse as Shire Oak, which was large old oak in Headingley that all the meetings were held under, it survived until 1941 when it fell down, the tree stump was left for many years later and is remembered by the name of the pub nearby The Skyrack

http://www.leodis.net/imagesLeodis/screen/92/2011712_172392.jpg

2011712_172392.jpg

http://www.leodis.net/imagesLeodis/screen/96/20021120_11996096.jpg

20021120_11996096.jpg

Another name that i have already decided weeks ago will go on the Manning Wardle is "Hestia", the greek goddess but also a character based on the goddess in a japanese anime show I like 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Is_It_Wrong_to_Try_to_Pick_Up_Girls_in_a_Dungeon%3F

after deciding the name i realised that having a loco named after a greek god is a bit Col. Stephens as he liked to name his after gods and mythology, so thats an extra bonus

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 4

just found 2 more ideas for loco names, "E.Taylor" and "Skyrack"

Enoch Taylor from Sandal, Wakefield was a land surveyor, i found out about him because i recently bought a copy of the book Heckbridge and Wentbridge railway by Grahame Boyes, what initially caught my interest in him was this,

"there is no evidence to indicate the type of track laid or its gauge. It is possible, because of Enoch Taylors earlier association with railways in the Wakefield area that the gauge was about 3ft 6 inch. It is probable however that edge rails were used; by 1826 the plate rails used on the Wakefield railways had gone out of Favour."

there were a few waggonways around wakefield like; Smithson, Flockton and the Lake Lock. but no doubt there would have been many more smaller un recorded lines.

All i could find online of Mr Taylor was an entry for his wife in the section "court for relief of insolvent debtors" The London Gazette in 1833; "Elizabeth Taylor, late of Sandal Magna, near Wakefield, Yorkshire, widow and administratrix of the goods, chatrels and credits of Enoch Taylor, late of Sandal Magna afore said land surveyor, deceased"

The trade directory section in The history, directory and gazeteer of the county of York, 1822 http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/WRY/Wakefield/Wakefield22Dry.html

"Taylor Enoch, Sandal"

Also, while i was looking through that history, directory and gazeteer of 1822 i also had a look at the entries my local area and the Wapontakes as i live in the Wapontake of Agbrigg, The Wapontake of Skyrack governed what we now know as Leeds, Skyrack roughly translates from Norse as Shire Oak, which was large old oak in Headingley that all the meetings were held under, it survived until 1941 when it fell down, the tree stump was left for many years later and is remembered by the name of the pub nearby The Skyrack

http://www.leodis.net/imagesLeodis/screen/92/2011712_172392.jpg

2011712_172392.jpg

http://www.leodis.net/imagesLeodis/screen/96/20021120_11996096.jpg

20021120_11996096.jpg

Another name that i have already decided weeks ago will go on the Manning Wardle is "Hestia", the greek goddess but also a character based on the goddess in a japanese anime show I like 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Is_It_Wrong_to_Try_to_Pick_Up_Girls_in_a_Dungeon%3F

after deciding the name i realised that having a loco named after a greek god is a bit Col. Stephens as he liked to name his after gods and mythology, so thats an extra bonus

Ah yes the Col. loved himself a good Greek myth. I mean over his entire network of railways he had Multiple engines named Hecate which makes it a right pain learning more on the one I personally like. That being the K&ES 0-8-0 Tank I'm quite fond of it and Gazelle another of the Col.'s Better purchases.