nearly there, brakegear next to do

32927614766_5b55fa84eb_z.jpgbrakevan 2 (12) by Sam, on Flickr

since the topic of a horsebox came up on my layout thread, so ive started building one. with another one of the set of wagon chassis parts from Ruston and some spare wheels and bearings.

i had two unpaired wheel sets, both the same diameter but different spoke pattern but since i want Maunsell type wheels so i filled them with milliput then cut the excess off after setting, sanded them and painted with a tamiya matt paint. By mistake, i made too much milliput so that was used to fill the solebars

32587774920_bbd32c1950_z.jpgwagon horsebox (1) by Sam, on Flickr

a test fit of the parts in a panel pin jig like i did before with the cattle van chassis

32153953663_13f714e4b5_z.jpgwagon horsebox (2) by Sam, on Flickr

the decision of how to fix the parts together was with a rectangle styrene on the inside, it was pinned down to keep it central width wise and it fits jut right inbetween the headstocks (i normally use the words bufferbeams because i can never remember the proper term of headstocks). the ends of the headstocks were filled with styrene before hand this time, the  solebars were pinned in and drops of superglue put around the inside

32587770080_4c8bfe0f76_z.jpgwagon horsebox (3) by Sam, on Flickr

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 4

using the same stencil method as before, but this time im painting on a real livery. R.Carder of Lancaster, I'm doing it for Jamie to go on Green Ayre, although the wagon was registered to the LNWR not the midland, we cant pass at having a lancaster based wagon on the layout. this first side is not done yet, still the tare weight and the load lettering to do

32705047810_d8f8dc7334_z.jpgwagon carder by Sam, on Flickr

the source photo

post-9948-0-85648400-1487936650.jpg

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 4

back to the Kerr stuart, after having to wait 3 weeks for the society meeting, and then waitng another 2 weeks for the society to back to me, i would now have to wait even more, the corringham light railway society its self doesnt have the funds to do the scans but a few of the members are, it would take more time to arranges who and how for the payment to statfold, so ive decided to instead just build it from the 15 photos i have from the internet

ive wasted 2 months waiting, i could have built it by now

Edited by sir douglas

back to the Kerr stuart, after having to wait 3 weeks for the society meeting, and then waitng another 2 weeks for the society to back to me, i would now have to wait even more, the corringham light railway society its self doesnt have the funds to do the scans but a few of the members are, it would take more time to arranges who and how for the payment to statfold, so ive decided to instead just build it from the 15 photos i have from the internet

By all means I fully agree. After whay you managed with Rebecca I have total faith in your skill to build it from photos alone. Can't wait to see it my friend.

But at least you have been walking the dog but hopefully with more enthusiasm than Saturday morning!

The build has now started

2mm black styrene cut out, and my drawing based on photos and some known measurements

32445499814_a0f9f39ddd_z.jpgThunderchild (5) by Sam, on Flickr

i taped the frames together to cut out the profiles as one

32445501744_7544cfd8d9_z.jpgThunderchild (6) by Sam, on Flickr

the result of which after cleaning with files and a knife, also showing the bufferbeams cut and drilled

32473737273_e6c172daa1_z.jpgThunderchild (7) by Sam, on Flickr

frames and connecting rods taped down to a plank ready for use the pillar drill at the club later, as before the rods are cut out of 1mm brass with squares of 1mm brass soldered onto the ends

33160056801_1f5473e055_z.jpgThunderchild (8) by Sam, on Flickr

• Like 5

Working on the gearbox next.

drawing, and the selected parts

33194656131_d26f21852d_z.jpgThunderchild (11) by Sam, on Flickr

Motor and gears placed over the drawing

33281810026_050583905b_z.jpgThunderchild (12) by Sam, on Flickr

Looking great my friend. Small thing I just realized is it's going to be a pain figuring out the frame's exact shape on my French Tank. At least Pugsy is self explanatory from his photos. Thanks again for that photo over on the Pug topic.

more of the body work, on the cab back an front, the spectacles have been drilled, the sides and the cab back have been glued together and the corners rounded off and then a strip of styrene run around back, the footplate has been cut out but i cant do anythng with it yet as i dont know exactly how big the hole in it will be for the motor & gearbox and it will be difficult to cut that if i stick on the body work

33420963785_6d4c7c2198_z.jpgThunderchild (16) by Sam, on Flickr

body, footplate and chassis sat together

32578270384_8da0db7e13_z.jpgThunderchild (17) by Sam, on Flickr

mid strip around the back and the tank fronts on as well

33420984625_4fb3cae473_z.jpgThunderchild (19) by Sam, on Flickr

• Like 8

Ill start off with a cracking find that was just posted in the corringham facebook group. The essex countryside, May 1965

an article with works photos of the Kitson and the Kerr Stuart

post-9948-0-85724500-1489751081_thumb.jpg

post-9948-0-80863200-1489751080_thumb.jpg

the works photos cropped out and blown up

post-9948-0-37596700-1489751183_thumb.jpg

post-9948-0-30293700-1489751193_thumb.jpg

Back to the build

the cylinders and the motion are now being planned. top right of the drawing is the motion planning

33489578925_f4a6f05c4f_z.jpgThunerchild (23) by Sam, on Flickr

there are sources online that state the Kerr Stuart's livery as brick red, i want to copy this and the most suitable colour avaliable to me in my local model shop is Railmatch dark brick, the other day i took the wheels off to Apply this to them. The wheels were then put back onto the chassis so i could continue planning the cylinders and motion. it is shown here a little bit brighter to how i see it because of the camera flash

33489575245_55c054741e_z.jpgThunerchild (22) by Sam, on Flickr

As ive said previously, i cat glue down the body to the footplate before cutting out the hole for the motor but since i have the gearbox built, that hole can be cut

33489571635_5b53c54b32_z.jpgThunerchild (21) by Sam, on Flickr

The smokebox is now being made,

33489568545_844d7432c9_z.jpgThunerchild (20) by Sam, on Flickr

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 4

Sam, i have a rattle can of red oxide primer that comes out a bit 'brick red'ish'.  I sprayed a couple of coaches with it and then satin varnished and - to my mind anyway! - it looks OK.  I'll try and remember to bring them to the club this evening.

Edit - and a couple of motors!

Edited by 5050
  • Like 1