ive only said i would like to build it as the replacement for the planet for the back dating but only after getting a 30's tractor

for the louvre, i dont know yet

I am quite sure you'd figure it out. The little engines are both now on my want list! But I fully understand the money situation while mine is a slight bit better for the time being I can't spend like a madman either. 

Edit: Hold on a tick that engine is a diesel but she's got a whistle not a horn! Could this be the elusive example of a Compressed Air Whistle on a diesel?! If so I'd love this little engine even more than I already do!

Edited by 844fan

Guest Isambarduk

Could this be the elusive example of a Compressed Air Whistle on a diesel?!

Not so elusive, really.  GWR No. 1, the Fowler 0-4-0DM (as depicted RTR by Ixion Model Railways), had a whistle.  It's not easy to see in this version of the image:

GWR%20Fowler%20Diesel.jpg

but the version in Russell's book (A Pictorial Record of Great Western Engines, Volume 2, page 183) is rather clearer.  I made quite a number of modifications to my model, including replacing the horn with a whistle:

GWR-No1_3-4RHS.jpg

See www.davidlosmith.co.uk/GWR_Fowler.htm

David

Archer transfers, whose rivets are excellent, also do Louvre transfers. I haven't yet tried them, but they might be easier than trying to sand bits of microstrip triangular and glue them on straight.

Better still; make proper louvres like the real thing. I scratchbuilt a 44/48HP Ruston from plasticard, about 15 years ago. I filed a piece of scrap brass to a wedge shape and pushed it into and through thin plasticard that I had marked out. The thin plasticard was then used as an overlay.

post-494-0-97072800-1502914527.jpg

Edited by Ruston

Guest Isambarduk

Better still; make proper louvres like the real thing.

Just so!  I did the same thing, but in brass, whilst building my Fowler 0-4-0DM LMS No. 2, making use of some of the parts from the Underhill kit - long before Ixion Model Railways came out with their fine RTR offering.  Here is a louvred panel and in place:

Louvre-s.jpg  Fowler_RHS_Louvres-s.jpg

Captioned pictures of 'how I did it' at: www.davidlosmith.co.uk/LMS_Fowler.htm#MakingLouvres

David

Hijack mode = off    Sorry :-(

Edited by Isambarduk

back when i made a narrow gauge fowler i did the louvres with trapezoids of thin styrene with the ends bent glued on over trapezoidal cutouts on the bonnet side, if im going to do it again, i'll not do the cutouts and use thin brass strip instead of styrene

14505966298_ffbcf959dc_b.jpg372 by Sam, on Flickr

14702037415_bb9d22a8fa_b.jpg379 by Sam, on Flickr

• Like 3

Ever since i first made the pick ups for Thunderchild, theyve been constantly playing up because they dont stay sprung against the wheels

shown here back in March

33606721221_3130be1374_b.jpgThunderchild (79) by Sam, on Flickr

using what look like pickups from a Hornby 0-4-0, the old ones were taken off and the new ones soldered on in place, the length of them is a perfect fit. it runs a lot better now but the trailing wheels are still playing up jumping about at random even after taking the spring off and fettling it, it now jumps off every time again but at different places this time

36337142220_2c93ec01d9_b.jpgthunderchild (130) by Sam, on Flickr

after trying a different spring that way too soft i instead tried it with some lead glued on and without a spring as suggested to me way back by 5050, it runs very well now, it ran back and forth through the points at speed about 20 times in a row and facing in both directions, with only about 1 or 2 derailments in all, it runs much better slowly because of the new pick ups and the trailings wheels are are a lot less likely to derail at slow speed, but i now have the slight problem of nodding, its not enough to effect the running quality enough to be priority but now with out the support of that spring under the rear overhang the body nods a tiny but because of the weight of the whitemetal figures in the cab

If the only differences you are planning between a 30s and a 50s layout are stock and road vehicles then could you model both?

You have built a great set of stock to operate with already, a lot of it would work for 50's era as well so with a few extra bits you could model 2 eras which would add interest at exhibitions.

When you change over you could swap the tractor and any figures that stood out as being wrong.

If it worked well you could try a 1910s era with pre grouping stock and a horse.

I found out the other day that theres a 7mm drawing of a manning wardle D class in Railway modeller, December 1975, ive got a scan of it from our bound back issues from the club library and thanks for Jamie doing the scan for me

Edited by sir douglas

since ive got Thunderchild running better with phospher strip pickups, i thought i would replace the brass wire pickups on J Aspdin and Halfmoon as well

J Aspdin, while i had the loco on the workbench it was best to also get started on the retaining screw to hold the chassis and body together that i never got around to doing, the old screw hole in the underside of the smokebox is a bit too far forward so a new styrene block had to be glued in which meant cutting out the back of the smokebox to get in, this cutout will never be seen as it is hidden by the boiler and gearbox, a new frame stretcher n the chassis is currently being glued in which the screw will pass through, it sits in a very tight place with just a little gap either side between the gearbox and the split pin of the front coupling hook

36855230311_0c81cd47d5_b.jpgj aspdin (91) by Sam, on Flickr

Halfmoon, a slight problem i noticed recently was that the buffers and the bottom of the bufferbeams were a bit low so some packing has been added onto the top of the inner chassis

36186871173_81e06b3e85_b.jpghalfmoon (134) by Sam, on Flickr

• Like 1

the screw fixing in the smokebox

36919828001_002abe5258_b.jpgj aspdin (93) by Sam, on Flickr

the new stretcher inbetween the gearbox and spring

36253706283_684cc86737_b.jpgj aspdin (92) by Sam, on Flickr

unfortunately while drilling the hole in the stretcher, the drill head rubbed agaisnt the gear and ruined some teeth and i dont have another gear the same size so the gearbox will have to be rebuilt

getting back to the second dumb buffer wagon from post 412

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/91456-sirdouglas-o-gauge/?p=2694252

After putting it together, there wasnt enough room on the solebar for the ironwork but i wasnt up to fixing it until now, thw wheels were taken off and more chassis timber was added

36253710203_f7029469a0_b.jpgwagon 4 (4) by Sam, on Flickr

36253712203_acb22abcce_b.jpgwagon 4 (5) by Sam, on Flickr

• Like 6

i havent been doing any of my own modelling since then because ive been working on Jamie's compound. to photograph the gear means taking the rods off and the one of the wheels to take the axle off and then taking the gearbox apart to get the gear out and i cant bothered with that at the moment, but i can just about get to it with the calipers, the over teeth dia' is 17.9 but there will be bit of wear so 18mm. ive got a little box full of gears but they're either a little bit big or a bit smaller. thanks for the offer Hesperus, any you find might have different size teeth and not mesh but we'll give it a go

• Like 1

37092048242_f8d9dc9486_b.jpgcompound (12) by Sam, on Flickr

lately ive not been liking Rebecca's brown anymore but i do like Midland green

https://ebid.s3.amazonaws.com/upload_big/9/0/1/1423436650-31937-13.jpg

1423436650-31937-13.jpg

it looks quite a different green to what ive chosen as i went with the shade in a little book ive got

36426462224_7deeca3630_b.jpgRebecca (139) by Sam, on Flickr

all the body, the cylinders and steps are done, just need to take off the motion to do the wheels. comparing them now, my choice looks a bit darker than in the book but ive done it now and quite like it

36866062960_9789f359bf_b.jpgRebecca (138) by Sam, on Flickr

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 5

this one?

http://modelengineeringwebsite.com/LBSCR_B4_loco_files/RIMG0393.jpg

RIMG0393.jpg

the wheels are now painted and left to dry. I couldnt take off the rods because the crank pin nuts wouldnt come off, when i assembled them a small drop of super glue was put onto the thread to stop them coming off on their own but now when trying to take them off the crankpin bolt just spins in its hole and i cant get a screwdriver to the head behind, so it was quicker and easier to take the wheels off instead

36463069593_3c040a5c6a_b.jpgRebecca (140) by Sam, on Flickr

• Like 5