Chris T's photo archives

How old is the broad marsh centre?

I was working on it around  winter1972-73, I would think, pulling cables in around the Lister Gate area. It was before the glazing had gone in, like a (very cold) wind tunnel. The working day consisted of about 1hr work followed by at least 30 minutes in the Woolworths cafe next door to warm up before another hour or so working, then back to Woolies.

Opened in 1975 apparently;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadmarsh

I was working on it around  winter1972-73, I would think, pulling cables in around the Lister Gate area. It was before the glazing had gone in, like a (very cold) wind tunnel. The working day consisted of about 1hr work followed by at least 30 minutes in the Woolworths cafe next door to warm up before another hour or so working, then back to Woolies.

Opened in 1975 apparently;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadmarsh

Parts of it were open before that, I was In Nottm from Sept 73 to July 75 and it was open in parts when I was there.

• RMweb Gold

Here's a part of the world that hasn't featured as yet in this thread - Bromsgrove on 8th March 1980.

attachicon.gif800308 Bromsgrove 253003 K16.10.jpg

Finally here's a relatively new Class 253 No. 253003 passing the bankers having just descended the bank.

Season's Greetings

Chris Turnbull

Amazing weathering on those 37's...it's almost as if it's been sprayed on.

Posted Today, 22:58

Smashing photos Chris

This was a few years earlier but the weathering is similar! Different locos but they still probably haven't been cleaned in the intervening years....

http://www.rmweb.co....46290_thumb.jpg

Kind regards

Phil

One railway that has always fascinated me is the Listowel and Ballybunion Railway.  Since the original closed in 1924, a casualty of the Irish Civil War, I never thought that I would see a working example of a Lartigue monorail.  However, a 1,100 yard replica has been built in Listowel and thanks to the Railway Study Association organising a long study weekend in Limerick in 2008 I was able to see and ride on this most unusual railway.  All photographs were taken on 22nd May 2008.

CNV00074.JPG.2deb7084684396bf64edf5ab834dbb0c.JPG

The replica locomotive is seen here ready to depart.  This is diesel powered, the original locomotives being steam powered which meant two independent boilers and fireboxes which had to be kept balanced. 

CNV00086.JPG.3222564be3e198463c3f5d2cc4832a64.JPG

Another view of the locomotive

CNV00089.JPG.063c54b58c092e9b1e7e1d5b07f6a853.JPG

This is the arrangement for a point which also doubled as a turntable.

CNV00091.JPG.4797e31a2e205a43a6481f4b095681dd.JPG

CNV00093.JPG.8613478400376b925af2220f0cd2b105.JPG

Two shots of the train in action.

CNV00083.JPG.fcd74ef37a4b0477fae9d564e508ed44.JPG

The arrangement of the passenger coaches.  Seats are longtitudinal and passengers must be balanced either side.

My apologies if you consider that this shouId be in the Irish section but I think this is a fascinating railway and well worth a visit if you are in the area.  For more details see:

http://www.lartiguemonorail.com/

Don't forget to click on the History and Gallery tabs.

Chris Turnbull

Edited by Chris Turnbull
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic again chris. I didn't realise the up middle road was left in after the down was removed or was it a dead end siding. ?

Incidenly when were they taken out as running lines.

Views like these make me want to crack on with my layout as its the same era and period

Just noticed the iron railings on the platform, were these always black or were they ever green or cream?

On 28/12/2014 at 20:54, russ p said:

Fantastic again chris. I didn't realise the up middle road was left in after the down was removed or was it a dead end siding. ?

Incidenly when were they taken out as running lines.

Views like these make me want to crack on with my layout as its the same era and period

Just noticed the iron railings on the platform, were these always black or were they ever green or cream?

Glad you like the photos.

As far as I can recall the track was rationalised in the station in 1965.  The Down through road was removed entirely but the Up through road was left as a siding.  If you look at post #34 you will see there is no connection at the Up end of the station.

Here's a couple of shots of Bury St Edmunds taken in 1963 by a railway-mad 11 year-old, black and white I'm afraid as a 35mm camera and colour slide film was an unattainable expense to a lad receiving 2/6d (IIRC) weekly pocket money.  

260641891_1963BuryStEdmunds1.jpg.316fb1547370497113aa919080585dfc.jpg

In this shot the Down through road is still signalled as such.  Note the GE water crane adorning the yard.  The track in the foreground led to Gough's Maltings where there was a wagon turntable.  Only once did I see the yard shunter venture down this siding and didn't have my camera with me at the time (probably hadn't any money for the film).  

1977264146_1963BuryStEdmunds2.jpg.62149f6a1518e6eeaac0b907cc263502.jpg

An unidentified BR shunter potters about the yard.  The Thompson coach was one of a two-coach rake that up until 1961 ran between Bury St Edmunds and Long Melford.  The rake remained in the yard for years, probably until it had to be moved to allow the sidings to be re-aligned when the engine shed was demolished and the track removed.

I don't remember the railings being any colour than black but as a lad I didn't really look at railings, I was more concerned with locomotives!

Chris Turnbull 

Edited by Chris Turnbull
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Thanks again for posting these pictures, Chris.  The ones of Bury are very interesting - although the passenger train service is quite possibly more frequent now than it was in 1968/9, what an impression it still gave then of being a 'railway centre' (despite the loco depot and branch lines having closed) with evidence of buoyant freight traffic locally at the time.  Thinking about it, perhaps the same applies at various places.

Interesting ECML pictures too; I note from my travels up and down the Main Line that Doncaster Carr Loco has been demolished and erased over the past year, having for a long time been one of the few diesel depots still functioning that was recognisable from steam days (although I think part of the office buildings at Neville Hill go back to North Eastern days).

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris,

What a gorgeous set of photos.   On the original, can you make out the lettering on the brake van behind D5535? 

Many thanks,

Bill

It will more than likely be a Kings Cross DCE van due to it's location, (maybe!), usually outstationed at Hitchin yard, the writing is shown on various of David Larkins pictures, don't know whether Paul Bartlett's site has any on.

Mike.