The two new VDAs in Railfreight maroon would certainly fit with that 1977 date.

The 25 also has the 0000 headcode so almost certainly post 1976. If there's a shot showing the 25s number, if that's TOPS then there might be a record of when that was changed but either way it would have been '74 latest.

BR S111 Land Rover in white with extra beacon lights (and 70s cars ,where did all the mk1 Astras go :) ) , anyone know what this was used for ?

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle.php?id=35953

Facinating ! If only we could read the small lettering on the side, and where is it taken ?

Land Rovers were fairly thin on the ground, except in Scotland. I have a similar shot of a Defender in my collection in grey, probably bought from a dealer for a specific job and not given the yellow livery (or short term lease ?)

We had one Defender round here, used by the engineers department at Bangor, handy for towing compressors and other trailers to site. But no extra lights.

Merf.

post-1625-128203660419_thumb.jpg

To me it looks like a fitters breakdown truck , orange beacons not much use on railway :) did BR maintain their own vehicles at this time ?

Another good question, jcb !

I think that from 1969 when National Carriers took over goods and parcels delivery, they also took over the road vehicle maintainence everywhere. But, a fitters vehicle it could be as BR was still responsible for on track and small plant, as in the the Bangor vehicle. Those rear lights would be very handy reversed up to a duff tamper needing a new hydraulic pipe in the middle of the night.

Merf.

• 2 weeks later...

Some more BR Express Parcels vans, parked up at Exeter - behind an interesting crane. Useful for livery details however.

http://www.gallery6801.fotopic.net/p66758805.html

http://www.gallery6801.fotopic.net/p66758808.html

http://www.gallery6801.fotopic.net/p66758793.html

Adam

As you say Adam, useful shot of the lettering above the back door. Also the unusual roller shutter doors with larger panels. The one with the registration visible is local registered at Exeter (TA) by NCL.

Merf.

Few more vehicle glimpses -

Austin 3 way van Fairlie Pier 1957

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1924747

Engineers FG van? Ilfracombe 1970

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/i/ilfracombe/index11.shtml

Something different BR Lancer Boss forklift Ditton sleeper depot

http://www.picturehalton.org.uk/frontend.php?action=zoom&keywords=Ref_No_increment;MATCHES;(^|%20+)c05103($|%20+)&continueUrl=ZnJvbnRlbmQucGhwPyZrZXl3b3Jkcz1yYWlsd2F5JnNlYXJjaD1TZWFyY2gmYWN0aW9uPXNlYXJjaCZwYWdlPTE3

Commer 1940s?

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_175316-Commer-N2-1936.html

Scarab 1963 london colour

http://www.baimfilms.com/baimStillsDetail.asp?CurrentPage=18&Submit=Previous&film=Big+City

Karrier at Bridlington with super 1930s car- SS Jaguar ?

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1904325

Commer minibus outside the bookies !! Swansea

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1311884

Few more vehicle glimpses -

Austin 3 way van Fairlie Pier 1957

Engineers FG van? Ilfracombe 1970

Something different BR Lancer Boss forklift Ditton sleeper depot

Commer 1940s ?

Scarab 1963 london colour

Karrier at Bridlington with super 1930s car- SS Jaguar ?

Commer minibus outside the bookies !! Swansea

Some more super finds jcb.

A few comments, The Austin 3 way, I don't think it's B R. Seems to have signwriting on the side and a phone number right where the fleet number would be. Shame as I want to find a picture of one for my Oxford model !

The FG van at Ilfracombe, looks like a parcels van with windows cut in the side, like nothing I've come across before.

The Lancer, fleet No. FLT1, and registration ???HRO in the LMR series from about 1958-63.

The Commer looks to be Registered OAR??? from about 1951-53, a rare motor in the LMR fleet.

The Karrier Bantam at Brid. with 3 ton trailer, seems to be a Bedford CA behind the fine car.

Commer outside the bookies in Swansea, no supprise there, must have been a S&T vehicle.

Merf.

A few weeks ago I had planned to do somthing with the recent Base Toys FG parcel van. Finaly got round to it. Reduce the wheelbase by moving the front axle back one slot (about 3mm) Reduce the van body by 10mm, by removing the wheel arch, a new one can be then cut in the correct place. A new rear with roller shutters was made. And finaly it was converted to a Morris radiator grille.

An easy job that makes a good representation of the 1965 vans supplied to the LMR and ER.

post-1625-128361111631_thumb.jpg

post-1625-128361114874_thumb.jpg

Another quickie was a Scottish Region Land Rover Series 3 from a Cararama L R pick up with the hard top from an Airfix (ex. J B) kit

post-1625-128361116912_thumb.jpg

B R had many cars in the fleet, not so well known about. But I recently was given some fleet and registration numbers of a load of Eastern region stuff.

Among them this Vauxhall Viva estate number 0VV 1430H E, from a TPM kit, superb quality as usual Bernard. The Eastern also had Viva saloons and one Bedford Beagle.

post-1625-128361119918_thumb.jpg

And just for a change something modern. From the Cararama Renault Traffic van, a conversion to Vauxhall Vivaro with the sliding door repositioned to (our) nearside. Network Rail transfers made with the computer on Crafty paper.

post-1625-12836112263_thumb.jpg

Merf.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A few weeks ago I had planned to do somthing with the recent Base Toys FG parcel van. Finaly got round to it. Reduce the wheelbase by moving the front axle back one slot (about 3mm) Reduce the van body by 10mm, by removing the wheel arch, a new one can be then cut in the correct place. A new rear with roller shutters was made. And finaly it was converted to a Morris radiator grille.

An easy job that makes a good representation of the 1965 vans supplied to the LMR and ER.

post-1625-128361111631_thumb.jpg

post-1625-128361114874_thumb.jpg

Another quickie was a Scottish Region Land Rover Series 3 from a Cararama L R pick up with the hard top from an Airfix (ex. J B) kit

post-1625-128361116912_thumb.jpg

B R had many cars in the fleet, not so well known about. But I recently was given some fleet and registration numbers of a load of Eastern region stuff.

Among them this Vauxhall Viva estate number 0VV 1430H E, from a TPM kit, superb quality as usual Bernard. The Eastern also had Viva saloons and one Bedford Beagle.

post-1625-128361119918_thumb.jpg

And just for a change something modern. From the Cararama Renault Traffic van, a conversion to Vauxhall Vivaro with the sliding door repositioned to (our) nearside. Network Rail transfers made with the computer on Crafty paper.

post-1625-12836112263_thumb.jpg

Merf.

Hi Merfyn,

I do like the idea of doing a Landrover, and your FG parcel van looks great. I bought the FG crew bus and was going to weather it up like the pic you posted of an FG at Llandudno. You said the hight was wrong on the base toys model but I think I can live with that, thing is it looks to long compared to your pic. Do you think if I remove 10mm from the back end it will be ok?

Cheers Peter.

Hi Merfyn,

I do like the idea of doing a Landrover, and your FG parcel van looks great. I bought the FG crew bus and was going to weather it up like the pic you posted of an FG at Llandudno. You said the hight was wrong on the base toys model but I think I can live with that, thing is it looks to long compared to your pic. Do you think if I remove 10mm from the back end it will be ok?

Cheers Peter.

Peter, with the FG crew bus they were similar to the model up to the L registration (c1972) but the higher roof came with the last couple of years (M & N registrations). So don't change it, I think that would spoil it, just alter the registration !

Merf.

I just happened upon this set of photos on Paul Bartlett's other site:-

http://paulbartlettsotherrailwayphotos.fotopic.net/c1820179.html

Some interesting trailers on there- any idea on the 'livestock' one, Merfyn?

We discussed this some time back, and I think Paul admitted as to guessing the trailer being for livestock. I am a bit doubtful as it seems to be very late in the day for carrying horses (BR withdrew their last in 1962) And those side flaps are not long enough to load animals.

The fleet number is a clue (M W) Which I thought may be Mobile Workshop ?

Anybody else any ideas.

Merf.

Peter, with the FG crew bus they were similar to the model up to the L registration (c1972) but the higher roof came with the last couple of years (M & N registrations). So don't change it, I think that would spoil it, just alter the registration !

Merf.

Hi Merf,

Thanks for for that, changing the reg sounds like a better idea.:D Definintely less work.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Merf,

Thanks for for that, changing the reg sounds like a better idea.:D Definintely less work.

Cheers Peter.

LJH183H was a FG crew bus of the Llandudno Jct. S& T. It had gone by 1978 when I started but could have been transfered to Llanborne for a few more years service.

Merf.

We discussed this some time back, and I think Paul admitted as to guessing the trailer being for livestock. I am a bit doubtful as it seems to be very late in the day for carrying horses (BR withdrew their last in 1962) And those side flaps are not long enough to load animals.

The fleet number is a clue (M W) Which I thought may be Mobile Workshop ?

Anybody else any ideas.

Merf.

NO, BR withdrew livestock wagons later than that. It is confusing, but there were some traffics which operated until 1972. I certainly saw a horsebox in an electric hauled passenger train on the WCML in 1968.

Yes, the livestock use was a guess :O . There is nothing like it in Steven-Stratens and Aldridge. However I would really like to know what this was for. The one possibility that I have thought of is as a 'show' trailer. We see these a lot these days (well we do in York which has special events in the city centre regularly) where one side opens up for an exhibition. Such ideas certainly existed in the 1950s. Mobile workshop may also work. What seems odd is that it is 'non descript' whereas I would expect some lettering about use on an unusual vehicle.

Paul Bartlett

NO, BR withdrew livestock wagons later than that. It is confusing, but there were some traffics which operated until 1972. I certainly saw a horsebox in an electric hauled passenger train on the WCML in 1968.

Yes, the livestock use was a guess :O . There is nothing like it in Steven-Stratens and Aldridge. However I would really like to know what this was for. The one possibility that I have thought of is as a 'show' trailer. We see these a lot these days (well we do in York which has special events in the city centre regularly) where one side opens up for an exhibition. Such ideas certainly existed in the 1950s. Mobile workshop may also work. What seems odd is that it is 'non descript' whereas I would expect some lettering about use on an unusual vehicle.

Paul Bartlett

Hi Paul

I think I confused matters a bit. I was thinking of B Rs own horses, i e the van or dray horses along with the shunting horses, which probably used the Scammell trailers.

Yes the rail horse boxes lasted a bit longer for racehorse or breeders, but they would have been delivered by BR in the road horsebox as modeled by Corgi & Dinky which had a groom's compartment. I don't know how long the 1948 built batch of Maudslays were in use.

Your thought of some sort of exhibition unit is possible, even could have been converted from an old livestock box ! The mobile ticket offices were a similar style trailer with rear doors and side windows, but were purpose built.

Perhaps we will never know.

Merf.

LJH183H was a FG crew bus of the Llandudno Jct. S& T. It had gone by 1978 when I started but could have been transfered to Llanborne for a few more years service.

Merf.

Thanks again Merf.

It's in bits on the workbench at the moment, I am planning on doing it in a fairly tatty condition and have it parked up out of use. I will post a few pics when it's done.:D

Cheers Peter.