Yes i suppose it sounded a bit odd :) ,I'm not too hung up on total accuracy but this truck intrigues me and if one came up I was thinking of buying it, partly because its a nice model and partly because I'd like to know more about the history. More of a 1.76 man though really.

Yes i suppose it sounded a bit odd smile.gif ,I'm not too hung up on total accuracy but this truck intrigues me and if one came up I was thinking of buying it, partly because its a nice model and partly because I'd like to know more about the history. More of a 1.76 man though really.

Thanks for that Jcb, I prefer the 1/50 scale and I do like to have a model based on a real example. But I must admit the scope for dioramas is great with the 1/76 and rail models. Been looking at the pics from the show thread, really great.

Gordon

The British Railways era picture seems to show a pre-war vehicle-a forward control Handy?

I think the BR vehicle is a post-war Thornycroft Nippy with Swindon cab (sliding door) as produced by Corgi.

The older shot seems to be contractors vehicles, South Wales registrations. On the left looks like a Shelvoke & Drewry Lowfreighter.

Merfyn.

Had a quick mooch of this site the other day and came across this picture of Hockley goods, on the GWML between Birmingham Snow Hill and Wolverhampton Low Level.

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrhd696.htm

I'd previously bought a model of a Karrier with an artic van trailer but was a little unsure of the gutter mounted indicator pods. Plenty of evidence of them here.

Enjoy !!!

The earliest pictures I have showing the indicators on Bantams were the JAR###D batch from 1966. Shots of C reg. without.

Merfyn.

Not quite railway :) , NCL Bradford Seddon Atkinson at recent show-

Yes and no ! If your layout is from 1969 onward, the goods yard would be full of NCL liveried vehicles, very rarely seen modelled, until the yard closed that is.

Looks good, nice to see the livery again, in the flesh.

Merfyn

Yes and no ! If your layout is from 1969 onward, the goods yard would be full of NCL liveried vehicles, very rarely seen modelled, until the yard closed that is.

Merfyn

Nice to see a Seddon Atki 400 that hasn't rusted away!

Merfyn

Yes often wondered why you never see NCL vehicles on layouts , I remember them being very common in 70s even my small town had two Karrier then Ford D 'baby artics' on station parcels ,mainly to Woolworths :)

OK may be a case of spot the motor :rolleyes: , but all these are from Disused Railways / 80's Rail Heaven with thanks to the owner for full permission .

http://www.disusedrailways.co.uk/index.htm

High top Marina , What were these for ?

Good morning jcb 3c, an well done again finding these. I will now have to go through that interesting site instead of the houswork !

Starting with the Morris Ital high roof. About 1980 they were bought mainly for 2 man P.way teams, like rail flaw detectors or greese pot maintainers. Fitted with a gas bottle compartment (just visible behind the drivers door) a sink and cooker. Total disaster, as not enough room to put enough tools in ! They tended to be replaced mid 80s by the Sherpa 200 vans as in the picture of the one on Network SE in the fourth picture.

The second picture from about late 70s, the standard Leyland Terrier and Dodge G7575 14 seat personnel carriers.

Third picture at the open day, Morris Ital, the normal version c1981, bought in their hundreds. A big improvment over the Bedford HAs. This one has a S&T sticker on the door.

Fourth picture a Freight Rover Sherpa 200 with 5 seats for 3 man teams.

Fifth picture at the junction relaying, a standard Freight Rover Sherpa 200 van.

Sixth picture, the same two personnel carriers at Hull with what looks like a Terrier 7.5ton open alongside (just like mine)

post-1625-127650672399.jpg

B R official photo of the high top from my collection.

Merfyn

Merfyn , wouldn't like to delay the housework , these were the only vehicles pics on that site (i think). :)

Had a feeling the Marina Ital might contain a cooker as has vents on the roof , this looks like dreadfull penny pinching.

Why did BR think it was so important for workers to have a full kitchen with them ? unions ? Most trades even now would just have their own sandwich box !

Merfyn , wouldn't like to delay the housework , these were the only vehicles pics on that site (i think). :)

Had a feeling the Marina Ital might contain a cooker as has vents on the roof , this looks like dreadfull penny pinching.

Why did BR think it was so important for workers to have a full kitchen with them ? unions ? Most trades even now would just have their own sandwich box !

H & S, being able to wash your hands before lunch is very important (we still have toilets emptying onto the track). The various personnel carriers all had to have hot water. They are in use miles from any facilities usually, coming as replacments for the old P.way cabins which were once every mile or so apart. And the kettle is on continuously.

Just finished looking at that web site, very good, I even saw my lorry in the background of one photo at Llandudno Junction, small world.

Merfyn.

Must get on with the housework !

I think the open day Morris is a Marina, rather than an Ital as it has the original style door handle (as used on Range Rover, Lotus, etc.). The very last Marina van's had the Ital door handles shortly before they got the Ital grille.

The high top is interesting. Was it done by the same people who did the wheelchair carrying versions?

I think the open day Morris is a Marina, rather than an Ital as it has the original style door handle (as used on Range Rover, Lotus, etc.). The very last Marina van's had the Ital door handles shortly before they got the Ital grille.

The high top is interesting. Was it done by the same people who did the wheelchair carrying versions?

Well spotted on the door handle Bernard. We only had Itals at our depot so not as familiar with the older version. The high top in my picture is by Bedwas of S.Wales, same people who made the larger personnel carriers and Securicor vans.

It's many a year since I saw a high top.

Merfyn.

Found on a farm track in the Cheviots, nice cameo scene using perhaps the body from a Base Toys D series???

© Copyright Stephen Craven

post-6974-127658624017.jpg

There is an old trailer with a scammel coupling in similar condition in a farm yard just off the A38 near Bristol Airport, in the same livery and have had the same thought myself.

• Like 1

Found on a farm track in the Cheviots, nice cameo scene using perhaps the body from a Base Toys D series???

Looks like one of the 5ton trailers bought in the 1970s , usually hauled by Karrier Bantam or Ford DA tractor units. Very common in farms some years ago as sold off very cheaply, but you don't see many today.

The Base Toys Ford, being pure fiction may not be a good way to start.

post-1625-127663568642_thumb.jpg

A nicely restored one at Bury.

Merfyn.

Looks like one of the 5ton trailers bought in the 1970s , usually hauled by Karrier Bantam or Ford DA tractor units. Very common in farms some years ago as sold off very cheaply, but you don't see many today.

The Base Toys Ford, being pure fiction may not be a good way to start.

post-1625-127663568642_thumb.jpg

A nicely restored one at Bury.

Merfyn.

I did say perhaps!

But I accept the Base Toys D is crap in this livery!!!

I did say perhaps!

But I accept the Base Toys D is crap in this livery!!!

Agreed on that Kev, "pure fiction" is just my version of the same !

However Base Toys have come on a lot since their early days of sticking BR livery on anything in the range. They have since had the advantage of more information available to them. I think the forthcoming FG personnel carrier proves that.

Going back to the White & blue Rail Express Parcels livery, which I believe dates from about 1978 to 1981. Does anbody know of anything painted in this livery apart from the above 5ton vans with Ford DA tractors, the Commer Walkthru, and some Leyland EA vans ?

Corgi painted their 1965 Transit in it, but that doesn't count.

Merfyn.

Agreed on that Kev, "pure fiction" is just my version of the same !

However Base Toys have come on a lot since their early days of sticking BR livery on anything in the range. They have since had the advantage of more information available to them. I think the forthcoming FG personnel carrier proves that.

Going back to the White & blue Rail Express Parcels livery, which I believe dates from about 1978 to 1981. Does anbody know of anything painted in this livery apart from the above 5ton vans with Ford DA tractors, the Commer Walkthru, and some Leyland EA vans ?

Corgi painted their 1965 Transit in it, but that doesn't count.

Merfyn.

You'll be telling me next I won't be needing a fleet of these either! rolleyes.gif

post-6974-127669452672.jpg