Never seen a pic of a Leyland EA van in any BR livery , any pics Merfyn?

Nice one Kev, who did that LD van ? :D

The EA vans, I think replaced the LD, certainly a large number bought by the GPO.

I have come across 2 EAs in photos. One was in amongst a number of Commer Walkthrus at Chester the other in Modern Railways March 1983 in Scotland at Dingwall in 1980 registered GC??46N. Both in the blue/white and both look like the same body style as the post office ones. Sorry daren't post them.

Merf.

Just found this 1984/5 Leyland Roadtrain branded for Speedlink Distribution. 041 phone number, is that Glasgow, Scottish registration.

I am guessing distribution of Guiness having come by train from Park Royal. Was the tractor unit black (customers livery) ?

And who owned it, National Carriers or another contractor ?

Any ideas ?

http://trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=35749&sid=8ab3efd228e689f7c1beab56ce1b25de&start=3480

The MS ending on the registration is Falkirk. The phone number is Glasgow city centre (possibly Port Dundas area which may be Scotrail House/Buchanan House).

Andy B)

Just found this 1984/5 Leyland Roadtrain branded for Speedlink Distribution. 041 phone number, is that Glasgow, Scottish registration.

I am guessing distribution of Guiness having come by train from Park Royal. Was the tractor unit black (customers livery) ?

And who owned it, National Carriers or another contractor ?

Any ideas ?

http://trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=35749&sid=8ab3efd228e689f7c1beab56ce1b25de&start=3480

The MS ending on the registration is Falkirk. The phone number is Glasgow city centre (possibly Port Dundas area which may be Scotrail House/Buchanan House).

Andy B)

The traffic was handled at Salkeld Street at the time- when this was closed, it went to Deanside Transit, I believe. The black livery was being applied to former NCL lorries at this time, with rebranding as 'Lynx'; some tractor units for Railfreight contracts were finished in 'Railfreight Red'.

The traffic was handled at Salkeld Street at the time- when this was closed, it went to Deanside Transit, I believe. The black livery was being applied to former NCL lorries at this time, with rebranding as 'Lynx'; some tractor units for Railfreight contracts were finished in 'Railfreight Red'.

Thanks Andy & Brian, I forgot about the LYNX livery, I had black in my mind as the Guenness colour. Photos of NCL vehicles in railway colours very thin on the ground !

Merf.

Thanks Andy & Brian, I forgot about the LYNX livery, I had black in my mind as the Guenness colour. Photos of NCL vehicles in railway colours very thin on the ground !

Merf.

As a slight aside, I believe NCL/Lynx retained trailers with Scammell couplings into the days when all the Fords and Bedfords had been replaced by Volvo FL7s- they were used for contract-hire deliveries to Woolworths and M&S, who had some very restricted accesses. There were certainly some working in the North-East when we lived there in the 1980s.

The Base toys FG's look really good , such a distinctive vehicle . Noticed the pics of Karrier Gamecock personnel carriers in earlier posts are in BR red and cream , when did they change to green ?

NEW from Base Toys.

Postman just arrived with somthing for me for a change. Thought you might like to see. They seem to have made a good job.

Merf.

post-1625-127685769726_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the pic, I am waiting for mine to arrive in the next bulk order :)

Just wondering, it's not clear in your pic, but did they sort out the sloping cab doors in the end?

Kev

Merf, are you telling me that the dark green vehicle on the right is precisely what I inadvertantly linked to yesterday, here:

?

Hi Chard, sorry been away a few days. Yes that's the boy.

jcb 3c, The green livery replaced red and cream somtime in 1963 for engineers vehicles, goods and parcels went yellow.

Kev, the cab doors still have the slope but it's not too noticable.

Merf.

• Like 1

jcb 3c, The green livery replaced red and cream somtime in 1963 for engineers vehicles, goods and parcels went yellow.

Kev, the cab doors still have the slope but it's not too noticable.

Merf.

Thanks for answer Merf, strange in a way , you'd think the engineering vehicles would be yellow and the parcels green .Wonder if any engineers site ever had all three liveried vehicles together ! Suppose no red/cream engineers vehicles lasted thru the green into into the yellow phase.

This pic probably well known , but gives a good view of Leyland FG door arrangement-

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:British_Rail_Leyland_FG_Crewvan_Preston_Oct1984.jpg

Thanks for answer Merf, strange in a way , you'd think the engineering vehicles would be yellow and the parcels green .Wonder if any engineers site ever had all three liveried vehicles together ! Suppose no red/cream engineers vehicles lasted thru the green into into the yellow phase.

This pic probably well known , but gives a good view of Leyland FG door arrangement-

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:British_Rail_Leyland_FG_Crewvan_Preston_Oct1984.jpg

Yes it took a while for the penny to drop. The diesel trains ran for a few years in plain dark green before yellow paint was slapped on the front. The green vans similarly had yellow paint applied to some, front bumpers and the pannels below the back doors, but photos are very thin on the ground. The 3 liveries together, may have happened, we will have to keep looking for that photo.

I had not seen that shot of the FG at Preston.

Vintage Roadscene, July well worth buying for pictures of red/cream vans, just got it yesterday.

Merf.

Merf more questions ! would it be possible to give a simple explanation of the road vehicle fleet numbering system?

I usually buy Roadscene , was slightly dissapointed with BR article as nearly all pics seen on the Chris Hodge website, hoping they might show some new . Why does the Austin Loadstar artic in yellow have a black bonnet , damage replacement ?

Nice colour pic of a green Morris J2 BR engineers crewbus with breakdown train-

http://freepages.nostalgia.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cyberheritage/epi5.jpg

Merf more questions ! would it be possible to give a simple explanation of the road vehicle fleet numbering system?

I usually buy Roadscene , was slightly dissapointed with BR article as nearly all pics seen on the Chris Hodge website, hoping they might show some new . Why does the Austin Loadstar artic in yellow have a black bonnet , damage replacement ?

http://freepages.nos...ritage/epi5.jpg

Nice colour pic indeed. Wonder if there's anything else of interest in it wink.gif

No !

Yellow found to dazzle drivers on bonneted vehicles so matt black applies. Seen on Austin WE, and Ford ET7s as well. Didn't Ford XR3s and Capris get similar treatment ?

The picture I used to do my J2, then copied by Oxford Diecast.

http://freepages.nostalgia.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cyberheritage/epi5.jpg

The fleet numbering was not simple. Each company used their own system. I will try to explain.

LMS followed by LMR. Started from 1 for each group of vehicles. Followed by B = goods dept., D = parcels, S = service/departmental, x = special eg. tractors, F = buses. G = mechanical horse. O = oil engine. An example was 4567 BGO M was a goods dept. mechanical horse with diesel engine.

LNER and ER, NER, ScR used 2 letters indicating make and model followed by 4 numbers. The first number might indicate weight or load (tons) second = area, 0 Scotland, 1 North East, 3 Eastern, third and fourth were the individual number of that type of vehicle begining 00.

eg CC 4012 Sc, was Austin Loadstar/ 4ton/ Scotland/ no. 12.

The Southern, no logic just a number followed by M (for motor) or not.

GWR & WR numbered from 1 with suffix or prefix letters, not known.

FRom 1966 to 1970 ish, all BR adopted the LNER system and that's when it gets confusing, I'm just begining to make sense of it with help from some friends.

I can often help with registration and fleet numbers for a particular model from the database.

Merf.

• RMweb Premium

Yes it took a while for the penny to drop. The diesel trains ran for a few years in plain dark green before yellow paint was slapped on the front. The green vans similarly had yellow paint applied to some, front bumpers and the pannels below the back doors, but photos are very thin on the ground. The 3 liveries together, may have happened, we will have to keep looking for that photo.

I had not seen that shot of the FG at Preston.

Vintage Roadscene, July well worth buying for pictures of red/cream vans, just got it yesterday.

Merf.

If all three liveries were to be seen together the oldest livery would probably be on a special vehicle that would only see occasional use. A photograph would be very unlikely unless someone with a camera was present. I can think of several instances when 'if only I had a camera' applied.

Merf

See what you mean about not being a simple explanation !! :rolleyes:

Should have said its the BR no, system ( particularly areas) I was interested in. However armed with above info I can now bore people with 'you've got the wrong lorry on your layout' . :D

Can you now knock out a Austin Artic for Oxford Diecast to copy ! This seems to be the most common full size artic seen in net pics.

Thanks for info.

post-3430-127739439149.jpg

Can you now knock out a Austin Artic for Oxford Diecast to copy ! This seems to be the most common full size artic seen in net pics.

Thanks for info.

post-3430-127739439149.jpg

Blimey, I haven't seen one of them for many a long year, Budgie Toys c1960 ?

The cab is available from Frank Waller, I've got one in the to do box, red or yellow, not sure.

Merf.