Merfyn

looking back though this forum I note you have photos of the NSE fleetline bus, I am currently building one of these do you have any pictures showing the interior and top deck

Sorry Gary, but no views of the inside. All the shots I took were from the platform at East Croydon while changing trains.

My own model, I just put in the staircase and left all the seats out upstairs. I fitted all the seating downstairs as you can see some through the windows. I guess that as nobody has said it is wrong when on display, then nobody else knows what it was like inside.

Sorry to be of no more help.

Merf.

I normally use railmatch paints and rang howes to enquire about a set of NSE colours to be told that they are discontinued, have ordered appropriate paints from precision paints.

I am planning to use a mixture of paint and transfers to create th e colour scheme will post pictures of progress

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

BR definitely had Mk 1 Transits in the '70's. By the time I started work in 1975 they had the facelifted grille but still Essex 1.7l V4 engines. Ours in the S & T dept were crew busses with bench seats down each side of the full length of the body.

Crawling along the A41 from Tyseley to Aynho Jcn took 90 minutes. sandwiched between 8 burly blokes chain smoking was a character forming experience.

I remember being told that the long wheelbase twin rear wheel body was normally supplied with the 2 litre engine, but BR specified the smaller one for economy (!)

The cab seats were mid grey. The bench seats were made of pine lath with black "cushions". Just rectangular slabs of foam covered in pvc cloth. No sculpting at all.

The van had full windows, but only the rear two could open slightly as ventilators. This is different to the commercial minibuses.

As 28XX mentions, the lwb crew buses were fairly common.  I have one photo of a swb minibus with the facelifted grille. Also a couple of shots of a Mk.1 swb van with the diesel bonet bulge and sliding doors in green (c1967/8)

However photos are thin on the ground.

One that always looks wrong to me is Corgi's  1965 van with post 1974 yellow livery.

Merf.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to producing the bridge inspection bus. More photos can be found on the link at the bottom.

The motivation to complete this came from post with the BR Engineering Training Bus, albeit using the wrong colours.I purchased the vehicle for conversion some time back.

post-19340-0-14938400-1440666629_thumb.jpg

The colours are a mixture of paint and transfers, A full side elevation transfer was produced first the bus was sprayed white all over with yellow ends, the grey was masked and sprayed first (not used from the transfer) the red white and blue transfer was applied.

the transfer was cut out around the doors and separate section of transfer applied on the middle door only the red and white is the transfer the blue was brush painted against the transfer, any areas such as window sides were painted (I used phoenix paints)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/95704-my-road-vehicles/?p=1994043

• Like 4

Only photo I have found of a Sherpa pick up. Unfortunately nobody does a model of a wide Sherpa (yet) so not an easy model to produce. Good luck with the project, let's see the results.

http://80srail.zenfolio.com/p46897271/h1a76b500#h1a76b500

Merfyn,

Thanks for that, just found one hiding behind a brick pier in another of your pictures

https://www.flickr.com/photos/merf29/5194665537/in/album-72157625373519212/

• Like 1

In Blue Peter speak, 'here's one I made earlier'. About 25 years or more, from the Garrick Leisure kit, long before the EFE models came out. Network SE transfers from Replica, I think.

post-1625-0-37375400-1440676284_thumb.jpg

From an old ABS whitemetal kit, a Mk.3 Transit of Warrington S&T. The same type as the new Oxford model will be, I think.

post-1625-0-76642200-1440676318_thumb.jpg

post-1625-0-24195200-1440676336_thumb.jpg

post-1625-0-30099900-1440676257_thumb.jpg

The new Oxford Transit Connect, renumbered as a local van used by the Rhyl lampman. Removal of the Response unit lettering. Nice model for your 'modern image' layouts.

post-1625-0-11087300-1440676362_thumb.jpg

post-1625-0-53483900-1440676394_thumb.jpg

post-1625-0-00487800-1440676443_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Merfyn,

Nice models I like the roof rack on the transit was that scratch built?

I think the oxford transit will open up quite a few opportunities.

With regards to the Sherpa / Freight Rover the difficulty will be in identifying the width I am working on a couple of Sherpa van kits at the moment and think the kingfisher models kit could be widened without too much trouble (Hopefully)

I have been searching the web to see if I can find out anything about the width of the Sherpa and given eth shear number of the vans that were around it is surprising how little info is out there, have seen a Haynes manual on ebay and wondered if that would have any dimensions in it

• Like 1

The Tranny roof rack was from nickle silver handrail wire  Gary.

If you mean the lampman's van Bernard, it's long gone. The lamps in the Rhyl area went electric before I retired in 2010. In fact I can't remember when I last saw a Connect with Network Rail.

Merf.

• 2 weeks later...

Found these in a book British Rail design by the Danish design council.

Thought they may be of interest.

The Leyland / Reeve Burgess bus looks like B912DMW which was staff transport at Margam depot.

The Dodge S56 crew van was a fairly uncommon vehicle, although I did see one at Birmingham Moor St.

I wonder who owned the Ford Cargo, it may have belonged to NCL.

Facinating.

In the BR Corporate Identity Manual as on the Double arrow website there is details of a

Leyland-DAF Sherpa Pick Up does anyone have any images of any in BR yellow

Gary, sorry not a very good pic of mine. There were a few down in Kent, this one was with the station cleaning team.

post-1373-0-25553500-1441910122_thumb.jpg

Cheers.

• Like 1

In the BR Corporate Identity Manual as on the Double arrow website there is details of a

Leyland-DAF Sherpa Pick Up does anyone have any images of any in BR yellow

gary, when I was an apprentice at reading ODM, there was a yellow freight rover 400 series crewcab pickup, with NSE branding, no pictures though. The chargehand used to give out the jobs, then take the crewcab and spend all day building his house extension! 

The Leyland / Reeve Burgess bus looks like B912DMW which was staff transport at Margam depot.

The Dodge S56 crew van was a fairly uncommon vehicle, although I did see one at Birmingham Moor St.

I wonder who owned the Ford Cargo, it may have belonged to NCL.

Facinating.

Merfyn,

It appears that The Magstar cargo was operated for BR by Mitchell Cotts Transport. Who were a large contract hire firm. Taken over in 1988 by I think Transfleet, part of the Lex Group.

regards

Robert