Welsh place names

br2975

I am aware that many members and contributors to RMweb are occasionally confused by the spelling and pronunciation of Welsh place names.

As a Welshman imagine my confusion (OK amusement) when visiting a website illustrating Welsh railways, only to be confronted with some of the following locations:- 

Newport Caitiff Road sidings

Barged

Rhyme Shed

Mountain Ash Tariff Roads

Aberclare High Level

Porch

Marty

Trochee

Punters Junction

Aberrant

The only other intermediate station on the Harlan branch was at Aberrant

Duffy Yard shed
Bragmend  or  Bridged

Poetical

Tend Junction

Master (Neath Road)

Rewoven

Briton Ferry Goad

Denigrating Shed

Pontardulas Junction

Glean Amman,   Glanamrnn , or  Clansman

Garment

Gauche Garden
Clefts

Carpathian Town

Milfoil Haven

Pencilled

Lamperer  or  Lamenter

Newcastle Emlyen or  Newcastle Ellyn

The 9.47am goods service from Lamenter arrives at Aberdare

Gouge

Crummy Arms

Lamprey

Leyland

Charleston Bowl

New Trademark

Rhyme Lower

Sorrow Tram road

Breton & Merthyr

Groeswen Haiti

Abler Valley branch from Caerphilly

Clymer Aran

12.37pm service from instead Munich to Dowlas Ace Harris

Ystrad Munich

Neath to Pontypool Roam

River Canon

Pontypridd, Aversion and Merthyr

Looking south from the station footbridge at Pooh

Perth was the junction station for the Taff Vale branches to Maerdy and Treherbert

Abused of Treherbert, it closed in September 1964.

Merthyr to Herman

I've  identified the locations referred to - but, have not included the 'real' spelling or correct locations here

I thought it would be fun for other contributors to identify them and prolong this thread

The source of my joviality can be found here:-

http://locodriver.co.uk/Railway_Encyclopedia/Part223/Part05/Part05.htm

Brian R

PS

One suspects the keys may have fallen out of the administrators keyboard and were not replaced in the QWERTY format .........

Or some other IT problem may have been a contributory factor ?

Mate has a roving job, in Wales,at mo, phone call yesterday asking for directions to Lan Nelly!

Guess where......

First pronounced LaLaNanLaLaLelly!

Mind you we get the same here in Cornwall.....Liskeeeard, Lawnscesttton, Double Bois (say it in French)

Fowwweeey, and don't even try Watermatrout!

It is not just the Welsh side that there are problems, I have just had a quick look a the link.

I thought I knew the area quite well but did not realise there was a car carrier service from Severn Tunnel junction to Piling (High Level)!

Mind you I had never heard of the 65600 class locos that used to be found at Rhyme shed either!

edit - for spelling!

cheers

• RMweb Gold

always makes me laugh when a scouser tries to say "acrefair" (a-cre-fa-yer) its almost always "acre fair"

similarly "talacre" (ta-la-cra) comes out as "tall acre"

the best i've heard was a former work collegue from widnes was going to "cloggy nog forest" for his holidays (clogaenog forest)

Well Big Jim, I rather suspect that the Scousers were taking the pis mickey, as if we would(!); enough of us have holidayed in caravans there to know the correct pronunciation. Abergeeeel was another good one! Mind you, English also has its moments: a short way up the A6 from me is Euxton, or Yukeston to southerners! Fazakerley in Liverpool has given the travel presenters on Radio 2 problems in the past.

There are a few places in Herefordshire that catch people out. Leominster and Weobley being the most common. ( In both cases the "o" is silent). When learning the road from Wrexham to Dee Marsh some of the "English versions" of the stations where quite bizarre. The first three out of Wrexham were the worse, Gwersyllt, Cefyn-y-Bedd and Caergwrle, (that drove the spell checker nuts), being converted to some quite unprintable examples. Still everyone seemed to know where we meant so perhaps the locals were used to it.

Paul J.

When it comes to Welsh mistakes, a very dear and lovely, but clueless, English language reader on the Dolgellau (pronounced Dol-geth-le or la, definitely not Dolgelloo) Talking Newspaper takes the biscuit.  Despite living and having worked in the country for more than thirty years, she still insists the Welsh for "Wales" is Kimroo.

Mate has a roving job, in Wales,at mo, phone call yesterday asking for directions to Lan Nelly!

Guess where......

First pronounced LaLaNanLaLaLelly!

Mind you we get the same here in Cornwall.....Liskeeeard, Lawnscesttton, Double Bois (say it in French)

Fowwweeey, and don't even try Watermatrout!

What does he want to go there for? I remember hitch-hiking back to my parents once, with a cardboard sign with 'Llanelli'- an Italian lorry said he'd be going that way once he'd unloaded 'It's near Milano, isn't it?'

It looks as though someone's used predictive text for that list, Brian. Mind you, I like the renamed Carmarthen; they could have a posh soccer team called 'Carpathian Corinthians'..

• RMweb Premium

Definitely Poetical for my next layout!

Mind you, I was brought up in Cardiff and it was only when I moved to Newtown afer about 40 years away that I realised that the end of the abortive M&M line from Llanidloes was pronounced "LLang i rig, nut Llang uw rig. I mentioned it to a Welsh friend living in Hertfordshire and he didn't know either.

And the recorded announcements here is Newtown always amuse me. They are bilingual, and there is no problem with the Welsh stations but Smethwick (Galton Bridge) has completely different renderings in the English and Welsh announcements - "Smethick" and "SmethWick".

Even the GWR magazine published cartoons on the subject.

Jonathan David

Some TeleRail videos/DVDs have commentaries by Peter Fairhead who cannot pronounce Welsh place names to save his life.  "Abersinnon" was one of the worst.  Gentle reader, you and I know that he was referring to Abercynon, pronounced Aberkunnon.  Mr Fairhead's day job is that of TV newsreader.

Chris

Even the GWR magazine published cartoons on the subject.

I've seen the one where the village up the road from where I live, Llwyngwril, gets a mention especially the fact it had "GWR" as part of it's name.  I wonder how many other stations could claim to have the initials of the owning company contained within the name?  Probably easier for the SR than the LNER....

I've seen the one where the village up the road from where I live, Llwyngwril, gets a mention especially the fact it had "GWR" as part of it's name.  I wonder how many other stations could claim to have the initials of the owning company contained within the name?  Probably easier for the SR than the LNER....

Curiously eLMStead woods and nine eLMS are both on the Southern (the latter shortly to be on the Northern Line).  In the absence of something nearer, there's a miLNERton is South Africa.

• RMweb Gold

I've seen the one where the village up the road from where I live, Llwyngwril, gets a mention especially the fact it had "GWR" as part of it's name. 

my dad had a book about the cambrian railways that had an old GWR advert featuring llwyngwril making mention to the fact it has GWR in it

as an aside i went to primary school in llwyngwril for 3 years where lessons were taught in welsh, at one point it was my first language despite the fact my parents couldn't speak it, im welsh as is my dad, my mum is from stoke, i can still speak welsh as i also went to secondary school in Bala but as i ended up moving near the border (Mold/Buckley) i never really used it much as its not spoken as widely as in the middle of the country, it certainly throws welsh speakers when i can reply in welsh as to a lot of them i sound 'scouse'!

I can remember watching TV and seeing Anne Clywd getting steadily more irritated as the presenter repeatedly described her as the MP for the 'sign- on' valley (Cynon).

Mind you, go to watch a film in Banbury and in the advertisments before the film an American voice used to proudly intone that Gem Tool Hire had branches in Banbury and

'Bi-ses-ter'!

Really of course there's no excuse for BBC newsreaders not being able to pronounce UK place names, whether they're in English, Welsh, Cornish or some variety of Gaelic.

Many years ago my brother-in-law, who then lived in Glamis, was asked by a Continental lorry-driver if he was on the right road to Brechin. Brechin is indeed only a few miles away from Glamis, but when my brother-in-law checked his papers it turned out he was actually supposed to be going to Brecon. Oops!

(And just to be difficult, until Victorian times Glamis was written with two ms and spoken with two syllables.)

Endless hours of fun running your favourite list of place names through a spellchecker. Here's a list of genuine suggestions from ... anybody guess the county?

Applauder, Barfing, Berated, Belly, Bodies, Boasted, Dilemma, Umpteen Park, Edith, Pluckily, Plummeted, Slurry, Swanky, Balding

Archived