Hermes and similar 'cheaper' parcel services.

Re6/6

Whilst I was helping Gilbert with Dave Shakespeare's items I used MyHermes to send all of the UK parcels.

All arrived.

Most parcels ended up with the recipient within a reasonable timescale (one to the IoM took a little longer).

No damage was reported.

It was easy to enter the details for each parcel on their site and choose appropriate insurance levels.

It was easier to print off the labels at home and stick them on than go to the post office.

It was easier to drop them at our local collection point (dry cleaners) than queue in the post office.

They offer a collection option with a slightly lower price.

Estimated savings compared to Royal Mail = appx 50%

I have heard a lot of people moan about Hermes deliveries being a bit of a farce if you are not in, but I have used them a few times recently to send stuff and can't fault them. No complaints from the buyers.

I would echo everything Andy Y says.

Only had two issues

- Numpty in the co-op didn't know what he was doing and took ages to book the parcel in.

- (My fault) I stuck the label on a postal tube so the bar code went around, rather than along, and it wouldn't scan. Having to manually key in the serial number caused a bit of puzzlement (same co-op different staff).

So the only fault seems to staff training at the pick up points.

Andrew

• RMweb Gold

My and wife's experiences with Myhermes have been positive both in High Wycombe and West Wales.

Most of the complaints I've seen on the web *tend* to be in major connurbations, but the that tends to be the case with most cheaper options.  Bear in mind that with myhermes all (most?) of the people picking up and delivering will be people using their own cars/vans.

• RMweb Premium

I've had good and bad experiences with them. 

Good: Bought some power attenuators from a seller on eBay and they were delivered ok . But I was in that time and waiting for them.

Bad:Again an eBay purchase, a loco, came home to find parcel at the side of my porch in a puddle, it had been "delivered" whilst out. I contacted them and they said their operatives are told to put the item "in a safe place" if no-one is in. We'll my idea of safe there theirs is different. I'd expect it to be re-delivered at a suitable time.

Most of their operatives seem to be part timers using their own transport and probably don't want to re-deliver as it costs them money.

So now I ask if the seller is using Hermes for delivery and decline the purchase if yes.

Rob

I think most of the cheaper parcels couriers have smartened up their act recently, after bad publicity.

Hermes still have a habit of just leaving things occasionally near the front door if I am not in.

My personal preference these days would be Yodel. Not only can you track each item on the internet, but they send you an email on the day a parcel is out for delivery, which for me is very useful as I don't waste days waiting in for deliveries that are not going to turn up that particular day.

I use Hermes for all lower value items or when I just can't be bothered to go to the post office. In maybe 100 deliveries, one item I sent arrived damaged. The buyer helpfully took some pictures of the parcel before and after opening and emailed them to me. An online claim form was filled in, the pictures uploaded, and then I waited. Within a day, they'd agreed to the claim and refunded the item value plus delivery charge. Can't fault that. If you're sending an ebay item and have to make a claim, they ask for the ebay item number and won't refund you a penny more than the item sold for - they're not daft.

My wife uses Hermes for all her eBay and facebook sales, to date she has only had 1 parcel get damaged in transit (they were very good and refunded the postage costs as soon as she contacted their customer services). The only thing I would recommend is that you check carefully their list of items they won't carry as you can't get a refund if the package contains prohibited items.

My only experiences with them are receiving parcels, one of which wasn't delivered but had been signed for with a signature clearly not mine. I have had successful deliveries from them since then but avoid purchasing from anyone who intends to use them.

I think a lot depends on who the local self employed "man with a van" agent is.

Not personally had an issue with them yet selling via eBay.

At work we use TNT for orders, sample packs went out via a mailing house who subcontracted myhermes. Other than one or two not finding the address and just picking a house we've had more problems with TNT!

• RMweb Gold

I am glad that folk find Hemes ok I have only had appalling experiences with them with 3 parcels with courier failures in Birmingham. Yodel or No del if you like also now use random white van delivery system - advert outside depot in Oldbury suggests roll up and work for us ! 

Royal mail gets my vote every time. Last few years with just a few days to go to christmas the private mailers have dumped post on RM who are leagally required to deliver costing RM Millions on short hire and overtime for staff to achieve the near impossible.

I now request RM delivery from E bayers and from Hattons to ensure I get parcels without hassle of chassing over Westmidlands to remote depots - try getting to Kingsbury by public transport thanks to UPS failing to deliver twice and sending parcel to Newport SW despite hold instruction - refund !!!!! na not a penny..

Robert      

I have heard a lot of people moan about Hermes deliveries being a bit of a farce if you are not in, but I have used them a few times recently to send stuff and can't fault them. No complaints from the buyers.

I would echo everything Andy Y says.

Only had two issues

- Numpty in the co-op didn't know what he was doing and took ages to book the parcel in.

- (My fault) I stuck the label on a postal tube so the bar code went around, rather than along, and it wouldn't scan. Having to manually key in the serial number caused a bit of puzzlement (same co-op different staff).

So the only fault seems to staff training at the pick up points.

Andrew

That is not really any fault of Hermes.

I avoid the co-op like the plague, a lot of their staff are below par. In my working life I had dealings with most of the large multiples,  the Co-op being far the worst to deal with.

Keith.

Good to read some positives about Hermes and Yodel as personally I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole based on previous experience.  Having just sold 150 items on eBay and RMweb I generally use UPS for locos and RM First Class for lower value items.

Not had one item go astray and every item bar one was delivered on time.  The one that didn't was down to me incorrectly addressing a parcel, but that was sorted in 24 hours.

If it helps, I use this broker and cannot fault them.  Simply put in some basic data at the front end and then one click brings up a whole variety of options with Hermes and Yodel often included. Here's a typical offer on a loco despatch...

http://www.parcel2go.com

post-6950-0-63124200-1415953108_thumb.png

• RMweb Premium

It's fairly obvious from all the comments that the final outcome is down to the local deliverer. Some get excellent service, in my case RM, and, Hermes is very poor here, specially if you are out.

There have been a couple of comments from sellers using Hermes who've experienced "no problems". May be the buyer didn't let you know of any problems, or there simply weren't any.

But I'd encourage anyone who gets problems, from any company, to let them know their service is below par. Otherwise they won't know and won't have the opportunity to improve their service.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Just as a slight diversion, and to show how much these couriers depend on the quality of the end-delivery guy :-

I used to live in High Wycombe and deliveries came to us from their Reading depot who were as bad as you expect them to be (eg leaving expensive computer screens on front doorstep for all to see - no ringing or knocking, just dump it and run -fortunately we were in).

3 or 4 months before I moved away we got a new guy on our route who was as good as any Postie eg trying his best to leave with a neighbour (ie us) for safe keeping.

Bear in mind that with myhermes all (most?) of the people picking up and delivering will be people using their own cars/vans.

Well I hope they have 'use in connection with business and carrying goods' insurance just in case anyone has an RTC with such a driver............

Suddenly it might not be the 'cheap' option ?

The cheaper delivery services tend to rely on part-time couriers using their own vehicles to make the final delivery so the service you get can depend a lot on who your local courier is. Here, if it is a nice fine day, Myhermes deliveries are made mid-morning by a smart woman in her mid-forties who drives up to the door in a shiny estate car. If the weather is bad the deliveries are made around five in the afternoon, on foot, by a cold, wet and bedraggled looking girl of around 16, generally wearing a short skirt and thin jacket. I presume she gets roped in after school if her mother doesn't want to get wet doing the deliveries and that her mother waits at the road end so she doesn't get the car muddy driving up the unmade lane to the house. Things do always get here though and they are good at re-delivery on the very odd occasion there's no-one home. Generally they call back on the return trip and then contact me if they still can't deliver. While I always feel sorry for the poor girl delivering in the wet I can't fault the service.

I use Parcels2Go and picked Hermes usually  as the lady who picks the goods up is a" local service for local people ".Before that I sent a guitar through P2G and Yodel didnt pick it up  on Tuesday .I contacted P2G and they bumped the service up to the premium   TNT service who were great .It turned out the buyer was schizophrenic and they kept calling but he was ill .The TNT driver was brilliant and said he would keep calling until it was delivered and promised to keep it safe . .The customer  got a bit better and contacted me and we sorted it all out .Yodel sent the skankiest bloke round  in a very rusty Mondeo on a Saturday afternoon and wanted the guitar . He was annoyed I had sorted it .I suspected a scam and told P2G.so no probs with Hermes ,Dont touch yodel and p2g are good .IMHO

I have had 3 bad dealings with Hermes and now if an expensive loco will pay the seller extra to send Special Delivery for which I have never had any trouble. I will wherever possible decline the use of Hermes. It is sad as the service they offer would be great if it only worked. I had yet another damaged parcel delivered by them this week, luckily the contents were Hermes scrum proof. I do not blame our local lady (the parcels are just dumped in her garage for delivery) the problem is within the main hubs.

Rant over

Terry

Got home the other week and found a Citylink delivery note in the front door advising a parcel had been left behind the shed to the side of my house, there is a 6ft fence and locked gate beyond the shed precluding access to the rear. Retrieved that and a while later decided to take some rubbish out to the wheelie bin which is to the side of the house on the locked side of the gate. Walking around the corner into a dark area between the pir lamp on the rear and the sensing area of the pir by the gate I walked into something that should not have been their. Turned out to a £300+ order in a parcel that had obviously been hurled over the gate by the Hermes delivery person. Fortunately nothing was damaged although a bit shaken in the packaging and I was left wondering what claim I could have lodged if I had fallen over the parcel. Like many others I refuse to order from anyone who uses Hermes or Yodel, this order was placed with delivery stated as being by Royal Mail.

Archived