Gareth's Workbench: P4 and 2mmFS projects

True, especially given the superb modelling seen on your London Road layout at the Portsmouth show on Saturday. It made me feel quite the poor relation over on Empire Mills.

D

D,

thanks, but everything was good.

As Tim V said on the Portsmouth Show thread,

"Cracking show. There was no rubbish. There were layouts not to my taste, but they were still good layouts".

Jol

Perhaps absolute dead scale S4 might suit?

D

I think P4 will be enough. For now at least.

I suppose we could look at this as all being your fault. You were the first person to really encourage me to try finescale modelling. We built a good layout that I'm quite proud of. Now that I'm separated from it it's time for the next challenge.

I think P4 will be enough. For now at least.

I suppose we could look at this as all being your fault. You were the first person to really encourage me to try finescale modelling. We built a good layout that I'm quite proud of. Now that I'm separated from it it's time for the next challenge.

Surely its still your fault - you listened to me!

D

• 2 weeks later...

I notice that although the MRJ Project Loco was intended for 2mm axles, you've fitted what look like eighth-inch axle bushes.

I've got one to build but loathe 2mm driving axles (too many bad experiences with Gibson 2mm/eighth-inch collars) so would be interested to hear how you intend to overcome the "problem"  that keeps mine on the back-burner - that the High Level gearbox specifically designed for this loco is intended for 2mm axles.

I notice that although the MRJ Project Loco was intended for 2mm axles, you've fitted what look like eighth-inch axle bushes.

I've got one to build but loathe 2mm driving axles (too many bad experiences with Gibson 2mm/eighth-inch collars) so would be interested to hear how you intend to overcome the "problem"  that keeps mine on the back-burner - that the High Level gearbox specifically designed for this loco is intended for 2mm axles.

The original design was for 2mm axles and Sharman 2'9" wheels. I'm using Gibson 3' wheels and a High Level RoadRunner Compact+. I didn't see the "advantage" of doing it the way they said.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's another project, because you can never have too many...

A Boston & Maine B15 2-6-0 in N scale.

bm-s1450ggC.jpg

Frame material

IMG_7852_zpsr95gweot.jpg

IMG_7853_zpsy31dbwwz.jpg

Cutting out

IMG_7855_zpshhtwxmmb.jpg

IMG_7854_zpsuvle368x.jpg

Bushings soldered in

IMG_7857_zpsgts23hr6.jpg

Wheels!

IMG_7856_zpslnmklhum.jpg

Frames together

IMG_7861_zps9gfoq6gh.jpg

IMG_7863_zpsbxjtruih.jpg

IMG_7858_zpseaexpmdh.jpg

IMG_7860_zpsjtwbopke.jpg

Tender Floor

IMG_7867_zps9yzikkfs.jpg

Sides

IMG_7869_zpsrkspv4xk.jpg

IMG_7870_zpshcesiums.jpg

IMG_7871_zpsghe1v2qy.jpg

IMG_7872_zpsqohrjw07.jpg

IMG_7875_zpszceuw3ir.jpg

Gears! 30:1 on the worm wheel, plus 14:18 giving something just under 40:1 in total

IMG_7895_zpss8t7yjx0.jpg

Got the brakes soldered on

IMG_7897_zpsx76m9zyv.jpg

IMG_7899_zpscml7sddl.jpg

• Like 8

The 2-6-0 looks excellent Gareth! It seems quite rare to see American steam locos done to finescale standard, especially in N. I guess for most people the problem of non-availability of wheels is a fundamental stumbling block, but using 2mm Assoc wheels is the perfect way around. Are you working to the formal FS160 standard? (or is there an equivalent North American P160 standard?) 

I don't envy North American modellers having to deal with all of the external "plumbing" - although this one doesn't seem too encumbered - very handsome loco actually!

Justin

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Despite my lack of commenting on this site these days, I still pop in to keep up with the world as it were. Jolly good to see you tinkering away on the other side of the pond.

Nestor

• 1 month later...

I really need to stick with projects once I start them. This is a real problem.

So, my 4mm Edwardian models seem to have changed to post war 2mm models. :scratchhead:

In typical fashion, nothing is finished yet.

I have a BR Brake van from the 2mm Association kit.

IMG_8134_zpspjlxrmq1.jpg

IMG_8135_zpsezruabfa.jpg

A 10' wb underframe. I, of course, forgot to order brake cylinders with my recent order. :no:

IMG_8136_zps5n7i4t7p.jpg

With the van body on top.

IMG_8137_zpsmncyvymq.jpg

3 Farish PO wagons that I'm trying to turn into ex-PO wagons

IMG_8138_zpsizvy48kq.jpg

Wagons and brake van

IMG_8139_zpsfhkas7or.jpg

And finally, a GNR 8 wheel brake van for Copenhagen Fields

IMG_8140_zpsrhciud3p.jpg

IMG_8141_zpsaznwhidc.jpg

Having now shared my 2mm efforts I'll probably get distracted by 4mm again. Hopefully I'll finish these soon though.

• Like 3