Gareth's Workbench: P4 and 2mmFS projects

I got three of Bill Bedford's LNWR D32 vans in the post a couple of weeks ago. I built one this morning. If all kits were this easy to build, a lot more people would build kits. It was incredibly easy to put together. Opening the box to painting in under two hours.

All the bits

post-5473-0-47965600-1498942932_thumb.jpg

Finished van:

post-5473-0-57845100-1498942967_thumb.jpg

post-5473-0-79493100-1498943016_thumb.jpg

I painted it after taking these pictures. Tomorrow I'll put the diamonds on and fit the wheels and buffers.

Edited by garethashenden
  • Like 8

I am hoping a member will bring along one of these to the LNWR Society modelling day. It will be interesting to see how it compares to the D&S white metal version in terms of detail

That Looks great. Shame its too early for my 4mm period, or I may have picked one up.

What is your period? As they were virtually extinct by the grouping but a few were kicking about in early LMS days, so period dependant you might just be able to justify one, or if you really like it just adopt rule 1 :)

I am hoping a member will bring along one of these to the LNWR Society modelling day. It will be interesting to see how it compares to the D&S white metal version in terms of detail

What is your period? As they were virtually extinct by the grouping but a few were kicking about in early LMS days, so period dependant you might just be able to justify one, or if you really like it just adopt rule 1 :)

I put my period solidly between 1928 and 1934, so after the first loco renumbering but before the goods livery change. That way, I can have a healthy sprinkling of pregrouping liveried wagons still somewhat identifiable.

Looking very good Gareth, especially the NLR Ballast break, you have picked out the details beautifully. How did you do your wood effect on the top of the deal wagon?

So we are told Wagons 3 is due out the back end of this year. There is also the Wagons Supplement Number 1 which contains the details on some of the more obscure wagons. If you want more details or to buy a copy pm me

Looking very good Gareth, especially the NLR Ballast break, you have picked out the details beautifully. How did you do your wood effect on the top of the deal wagon?

It's Precision Paints Natural Wood. I'm going to put a wash over it at some point, it looks a bit too much like paint at the moment.

What diagram is the 1 plank? Is it a D1?

If it's Bill Bedford's, yes D1.

Tare weights,

D1, Dia., Book gives 4.4.2. but examples range over 4.3.1. to 4.10.0

D32, Dia Book gives 5.8.3. but examples range over 5.6.0. to 5.12.0, though there is a 5.19.2.

D14 (Deal or Large timber wagon) Dia. Book gives 6.7.0. but examples range over 5.17.0. to 6.10.0.

6.10.0. = 6 tons, 10 cwt 0 qtr.

With the D14, don't forget to put some chains in the pockets. 

Edited by Penlan

His web site still shows 'In Preparation - Deposit'.

Yeah, hes just not updated it but I know a few people who have already bought them and think its one of the best he has produced

The brake block is the giveaway to tell you its a d1

wagon, the ratio d1 had the next design of brake block whereas bill bedford has included the large wooden block.

• Like 1

If it's Bill Bedford's, yes D1.

Tare weights,

D1, Dia., Book gives 4.4.2. but examples range over 4.3.1. to 4.10.0

D32, Dia Book gives 5.8.3. but examples range over 5.6.0. to 5.12.0, though there is a 5.19.2.

D14 (Deal or Large timber wagon) Dia. Book gives 6.7.0. but examples range over 5.17.0. to 6.10.0.

6.10.0. = 6 tons, 10 cwt 0 qtr.

With the D14, don't forget to put some chains in the pockets. 

Thank you for that information!

Long ago (1970's), I scratch built a Dia 14 Deal Wagon, I've forgotten why I placed the 'Diamonds' where I have, but if not from a photo., then it must be because that's where I thought they looked right, balanced.  Though in the back of my mind I seem to recall seeing some (pre. 'L N W R' lettered) Dia. 14's with Military horse drawn wagons on as a load.

Uhmn, must get the coupling sorted, oh, the missing link....

The wheels are some P4/S4 one's produced long ago by PC Models.  

The wagon is normally static in the goods yard.

..... and the chain could be a lot finer too.... and perhaps the broke push rod 'un-crooked'. 
Digital photography has a lot to answer for. :O

post-6979-0-51219200-1465733726.jpg

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 4

If memory serves then the d14 were used to transport military wagons along with diagram 1 wagons and anything else suitable to hand to get equipment where it needed to be.

Diamonds wise the position I gave was when the lnwr lettering was used so its quite conciveable that they were closer together when it was a diamonds only livery, though I have yet to see a photo to back it up one way or the other

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Duncan!

What have you been modelling recently?

Been converting a Jubilee to P4 for a customer, slowly progressing my own perseverance 43xx chassis, fretting out frames for an Armstrong tender (and wishing I had a table scroll saw rather than a hand piercing saw), trying to figure out the best way to resin cast coach bodies, getting ready to fret out chassis for Dean singles (see previous comment about scroll saw!) and wondering about the best way and materials to make a masters for casting coach bodies....oh and finishing off expo EM demonstration wagons and kit basing the prototype Mink D.

So not a lot really.

• Like 1

Been converting a Jubilee to P4 for a customer, slowly progressing my own perseverance 43xx chassis, fretting out frames for an Armstrong tender (and wishing I had a table scroll saw rather than a hand piercing saw), trying to figure out the best way to resin cast coach bodies, getting ready to fret out chassis for Dean singles (see previous comment about scroll saw!) and wondering about the best way and materials to make a masters for casting coach bodies....oh and finishing off expo EM demonstration wagons and kit basing the prototype Mink D.

So not a lot really.

The pictures don't seem to be loading...