Hattons announce 14xx / 48xx / 58xx

Andy Y

Just seen another variation on eBay.

Postwar 1470, cut out in cab step, handrail to roof but NO bunker steps (not sure what use the handrail would be)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Railway-Photograph-GWR-14xx-Class-0-4-2T-Steam-Loco-1470-Totnes-Station-Auto-/201609267032?hash=item2ef0d94758:g:97UAAOSwgApXAjpX

Mike Wiltshire

Just seen another variation on eBay.

Postwar 1470, cut out in cab step, handrail to roof but NO bunker steps (not sure what use the handrail would be)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Railway-Photograph-GWR-14xx-Class-0-4-2T-Steam-Loco-1470-Totnes-Station-Auto-/201609267032?hash=item2ef0d94758:g:97UAAOSwgApXAjpX

Mike Wiltshire

Interesting. It's no doubt been in the works and they fitted the bunker from another loco that was in works at the same time that hadn't yet had the steps fitted. Maybe there was another running about with the bunker steps but no handrail!

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

To answer a few queries.

Coy, we're intending to have stocks of all sixteen releases available for purchase at time of release.

Colhut, yes, all six wheels have pickups fitted.

RE the alternative pictures and those of BR versions, give me a few minutes....

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

With regards to H1408, will this be produced without the shed-plate moulding? Or as pictured; with it, but blacked out.

Quite taken by the BR examples

Regards,

Matt

Hmmm, those recess's still concern me, it doesn't help that a number of plates are wonky. Although I'm planning to renumber, I do notice the recess around the plates is visible too.....

I see the smokebox lamp iron is missing, will these be present on the production models?

Edited by 9793

• RMweb Gold

Hmmm, those recess's still concern me, it doesn't help that a number of plates are wonky. Although I'm planning to renumber, I do notice the recess around the plates is visible too.....

I see the smokebox lamp iron is missing, will these be present on the production models?

I thought the whole purpose of that recess was to ensure the plates are always straight, yet here we are with wonky plates still....

Fingers crossed Hattons see sense and get rid of it on the King!

Very impressive model but as has been mentioned the lining and number plate ???????????? sorry lets the side down in my humble opinion . Any chance of producing a green and black version with no lining or numbers save a lot of work of the re-spray work that I would have to undertake ... but a cracking model other wise 

One thing that does stick out or not stick out enough are the steps these should have a wider tread the same issue was on the old Airfix model. As far as I am aware there are no etched replacements but it maybe something I could draw up at some point if enough people are interested.David

Yes, they look a bit 'Tri-ang Hornby'.

I raised this with Hattons when the first ep models were shown. These recesses are to aid the production fitting of the plates by the production staff, avoiding the use of jigs to get them square. The problem is that unless the manufacturing tolerances for the plates and the plastic cab structure are close, there will be play in the recess with the plate loose fitted, which can lead to it not being fitted square, and a line around some of the edges, where there is a gap. I believe Hattons were advised to use this system by DJ Models, the company contracted to produce them, and Dave Jones used this system before on GWR models when production manager at Dapol. The Dapol 'n' gauge models can exhibit the same lack of squareness with their plates. I was advised by Hattons that they did not intend to change the 14/48 design and I don't think they will change the intentions for the King

• RMweb Gold

The models look nice except that the recess for locating the cabside plates ain't making it. They're still cock-eyed....

And with a visible gap around the edge. There is also a horrible gap at the base of the buffer between the square base and round section.

I'm wondering if the safety valve and dome will be cleaned up on the final models so they actually look like sheet metal and not cast iron? The dome also shouldn't merge smoothly into the boiler cladding like it does here. There is a distinct lip on the real thing.

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone "told Dave", or indeed, Hattons?

Yes, back in December 2014 #141 and then again a year later in December 2015 #381. A PM about the same to DJ went ignored and is still unread. I finally mailed Hattons direct January this year and got the reasoning regarding the business case for omission.

For those with condescending remarks towards Edwardian for being disappointed about the omission, here's a reminder of what was originally promised from post #1.

Specification:

RP25 wheel profiles

6 Pin DCC Socket

Provision for DCC sound speaker in coal bunker

Chemically blackened wheels

Separately fitted and blackened handrails

NEM pockets with tension lock couplings

5 pole motor, capable of similar running qualities to DJ Models Austerity or better

Fully detailed and painted cab interior

Vacuum brake pipes fitted to bufferbeams - additional bufferbeam detailing pipes included with model for customer to fit

Separately fitted etched brass cabside numberplates (as per King class)

Separately fitted BR smokebox door numberplate & shedplate (where applicable)

Provision of Auto-working gear (or lack of) where applicable to specific model

Correct details for individual model - Top Feed, Bunker Steps, Whistle Guard

Separately supplied and fitted headlamps (as per King class)

Electrical pickup on all six wheels

Prototypical gap between frames with cosmetic inside motion

Separately fitted smokebox door handle/dart

Variation of top-feed and non-top feed fitted boilers

Cab window glazing

Seperately fitted (and removable) cabside doors

Correct fitment of ATC equipment and whistle guard per model

Edited by 57xx

And with a visible gap around the edge. There is also a horrible gap at the base of the buffer between the square base and round section.

I'm wondering if the safety valve and dome will be cleaned up on the final models so they actually look like sheet metal and not cast iron? The dome also shouldn't merge smoothly into the boiler cladding like it does here. There is a distinct lip on the real thing.

Hmm' I'd missed that regarding the dome, good point!

I've currently two of these on order, but I'm genuinely wondering if building a chassis and detailing the old airfix body I have upstairs, maybe a more viable option.

Edited by 9793
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes, back in December 2014 #141 and then again a year later in December 2015 #381. A PM about the same to DJ went ignored and is still unread. I finally mailed Hattons direct January this year and got the reasoning regarding the business case for omission. For those with condescending remarks towards Edwardian for being disappointed about the omission, here's a reminder of what was originally promised from post #1.

You've highlighted the post promising 'Correct details for individual model - Top Feed, Bunker Steps, Whistle Guard' but that seems correct to me? They didn't promise versions both with and without steps?