Hattons announce 14xx / 48xx / 58xx

Andy Y

Hi all,

We have received revised samples from DJ models with new, larger, plates which completely fit the recess and are completely straight.  We are now happy with how they look

attachicon.gifIMG_0003.JPG

It appears to me that Hattons say (in post 615) that they feel that the problem has been solved. This quote shows that Hattons are happy with the look of the plates in post 615.

To me there is an uneven gap.... that is NOT shadowing.

Whether it will be a problem when looked at in real life I honestly don't know but as I have cancelled my order it's up to others to judge.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

• RMweb Gold

The whole issue of the number plate thing is a fundamental error. The real things were not recessed. Why are these. Factories such as Bachmann can apply transfers straight. I see no reason why they can't apply the plates straight.

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps in hindsight Hattons should have produced the 14/48/58xx  in the various liveries with and without top feeds, and then let the purchaser buy and fit their own plates.

No need for a recess then, but you would hear the howls of protest from so called modellers whose only modelling seems to be of the chequebook variety.

I still have the brass sheet available for those not satisfied by Hattons effort.

Compare it with the old Airfix moulding, and you'll see what a huge improvement it is (even with the recess).

With tight fitting plates, I suspect that the 'gap' will only be perceived because the vast majority know  have been told it is there, when the loco is viewed at normal viewing distances.

The biggest error is it not being produced in the wider gauges (EM/P4) which SLW are now doing with their class 24.

Personally I think my Airfix/Comet hybrid will be retired in favour of the Hattons version even though the new loco will still have to be re wheeled to EM and re numbered to suit my chosen prototype.

Edit for missing capital letters

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There is no doubt that this model will be to a higher standard to any model of this loco which has either gone before or in all probability will come after.

It is for this reason that 'recessgate' is so annoying. Who is this recess designed to assist,we the modellers or those charming folk who assemble the model.

It may be that it looks fine in the flesh/plastic.

We shall see. But the idea is not attractive to this set of pockets which are not so bottomless to turn a blind eye to something which, at this time,appears flawed.

I look forward to being proved wrong.

Rob.

It is not unknown for people to fit aftermarket engraved plates to suit a particular member of the class. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this recess pans out...

Recesses can be filled and I guess anyone willing to put on an aftermarket etch or engraving is probably capable of handing some filler.

And for those of us who can't, it's not a bad model and no model has ever been perfect

I am not cancelling my order.

Will I get tarred and feathered for this?

I'm not ordering one, as it will probably be even more difficult to backdate to an EM gauge 517 class than the Airfix one is :senile:.

Edited by BG John

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Yep, I've set the date back on our system for these this morning. We're now getting the weathering masters sorted (via Mercig, as per the Austerities) and locos should go into production shortly after this.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 2

The only reason for recesses is to ensure that the etched number plates all end in the exact  same position on the cab.

The alternatives are :

1/ let the user fit them --> a small percentage would certainly love that, but for each one that does, there will be at least 10 others complaining they are not pre-fitted

2/ print the numbers --> not liked as lack of relief on a number plate

3/ print numbers and supply the etchings --> adds to cost (Bachmann just stopped doing this)

4/ fit the things on without guiding holes.

How hard or easy is number 4? We know wonky glued plates cannot be easily put right without damaging the paint work. So some form of jig will be required (more expense)!

That said, DJM/Hattons have to face this issue of etched plates with the recently announced golden arrow class 71. And this has not been tooling up with fitting holes, so maybe they can do it.

In fairness, it should be noted both designs were worked on at the same time so, one it was critical to have these regardless of era, the other not and that influences the design process.

Personally I think the recess will work well here, but we have no other real world RTR examples of pre fitted etched numbers to compare against.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Yep, I've set the date back on our system for these this morning. We're now getting the weathering masters sorted (via Mercig, as per the Austerities) and locos should go into production shortly after this.

Cheers,

Dave

Kinda glad it's been pushed back a bit - I've got waay too much on pre order and it was all looking like needing paying for at the same time! 

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

Cheers,

Dave

Looking forward to seeing the samples for these. Looking at the weathering on the Austerities I may well have to order a few dirty tanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed in the Oct-2016 RM there was a review of the DJM J94, which states that as the model has a coreless motor it means that feedback, pulse-width modulation or old controllers should be avoided.  The DJM Kings and 14xx tanks will have coreless motors so guess that this restriction will apply to them also,

I believe that this means you should not use a modern feedback or simulation controller; but what is an "old controller"?  I have a H&M Duette, which is "really old", so will this fry the coreless motor?  I also have a Bachmann speed controller, which is "fairly new"  How about that one?

With such a restriction on controllers, what advantages does the coreless motor provide?  And how can you tell which controllers will be OK?

• RMweb Premium

I noticed in the Oct-2016 RM there was a review of the DJM J94, which states that as the model has a coreless motor it means that feedback, pulse-width modulation or old controllers should be avoided. 

That rules out DCC then!

Keith

I noticed in the Oct-2016 RM there was a review of the DJM J94, which states that as the model has a coreless motor it means that feedback, pulse-width modulation or old controllers should be avoided.  The DJM Kings and 14xx tanks will have coreless motors so guess that this restriction will apply to them also,

I believe that this means you should not use a modern feedback or simulation controller; but what is an "old controller"?  I have a H&M Duette, which is "really old", so will this fry the coreless motor?  I also have a Bachmann speed controller, which is "fairly new"  How about that one?

With such a restriction on controllers, what advantages does the coreless motor provide?  And how can you tell which controllers will be OK?

Good questions to ask. I’ve stuck a Bachmann six-pin decoder into a J94 and found it runs better on DC as well as on DCC. There’s always the Hornby King.

The H and M Duette is a cheap and nasty variable resistor so should be fine, no idea what the Bachmann is but the chances are its a variable resistor which gives lousy speed control.   PWM controls are great for destroying motors and getting jerky slow running on lousy track, so why not bin them and get a cheap and nasty Playcraft /Jouef variable voltage unit with about 12 steps of speed control or a Morley or OnTrack with infinitely variable 0-15 volts.   You simply don't need feedback with voltage control and half decent motors.

Edited by DavidCBroad