Hattons announce 14xx / 48xx / 58xx

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

You've highlighted the post promising 'Correct details for individual model - Top Feed, Bunker Steps, Whistle Guard' but that seems correct to me? They didn't promise versions both with and without steps?

By your logic then ALL the models should have a top feed and the same whistles. But they don't.

For those who are so disappointed with the way this model is turning out, I have loads of this brass sheet so that they can scratch build their own ultimate 14/48/58xx.

Alternatively you can spend a couple of months learning how to use a 3D software and get your own models made and have the freedom to make as many variations as possible.

By your logic then ALL the models should have a top feed and the same whistles. But they don't.

57xx, That's not how I read his post.

I could stand corrected but I thunk think he was referring to the fact that if they had topfeeds that is what they would get.

I should imagine that what you see, is what you going to get now.

Overall I think like any new model it is great.

YEP, there will be inconsistencies, but overall a vast improvement on what is available RTR at the moment!

Now a question for those who have preordered.

Do you actually go through the payment method to preorder?

People have had notifications and I haven't heard a thing, but I have saved to order!

Khris

Edited for spelling

Edited by kandc_au

57xx, That's not how I read his post.

I could stand corrected but I thunk he was referring to the fact that if they had topfeeds that is what they would get.

I should imagine that what you see, is what you going to get now.

Overall I think like any new model it is great.

YEP, there will be inconsistencies, but overall a vast improvement on what is available RTR at the moment!

Now a question for those who have preordered.

Do you actually go through the payment method to preorder?

People have had notifications and I haven't heard a thing, but I have saved to order!

Khris

Yes you to go through a "payment method" to pre order, but you actually pay a thing until just before the model is sent to you.

For those who are so disappointed with the way this model is turning out, I have loads of this brass sheet so that they can scratch build their own ultimate 14/48/58xx.

Or stick with my existing Hatton's 48XX/58XX. I bought them both as unbuilt kits from the original Smithdown Road shop in the early 1980's

They work and more importantly, I made them, so they carry that extra satisfaction.

post-9992-0-17536400-1466970731_thumb.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 15

Yes, back in December 2014 #141 and then again a year later in December 2015 #381. A PM about the same to DJ went ignored and is still unread. I finally mailed Hattons direct January this year and got the reasoning regarding the business case for omission. For those with condescending remarks towards Edwardian for being disappointed about the omission, here's a reminder of what was originally promised from post #1.

I would tend to agree or think that if a manufacturer or commissioner finds in the end that they cannot do a promised feature due to economics, it would probably be best for them to annouce what the revised spec will be first before buyers themselves spot it. Of course it might have been forgotten about or overlooked and we should be thankful to Edwardian for pointing it out and Hattons for being clean and explaining why.

Kernow hit a similar problem with their GWR saddle tanks, rather than dropping it, they advised everyone that the detailed variants will be kept but with an increase in price. Of course there are probably very different economic reasons playing a role in each of their choices.

Announcing these things are not easy however, but as long as they explain why and give people a choice, I have no problem with that. In this, it's Hattons project so I respect that DJM saying nothing on this as commercially correct.

• RMweb Gold

Very impressive model but as has been mentioned the lining and number plate ???????????? sorry lets the side down in my humble opinion . Any chance of producing a green and black version with no lining or numbers save a lot of work of the re-spray work that I would have to undertake ... but a cracking model other wise 

Agree and minus those awful looking buffers. 

The pictures of the BR versions look fantastic - thanks for posting. I must admit, I'm very much looking forward to getting one of these, the only outstanding question I have is which one to get. I've got the books out and am doing some research to help decide.

Lovely models... but... NUMBER PLATE - recess IS visible, and the plates are not straight (which was the justification for the recess in the first place!!!)

If we are going to have wonky plates, at least have a flush surface. Even with a recess, it seems that jigs are needed.

My idea (several pages ago) of small 'pips' on the bodyshell and recessed holes on the plate back would probably have minimised this issue (acting as locating lugs).

Hattons please correct this!! - it is not a major change to the tool, just involves machining down the protrusion creating the recess (unlike the complications of adding such a recess).

Certainly go for something different on the King.... please please please.

The idea was to produce straight and true plates, with a slight compromise over a recess. this has not worked - we get wonky plates and a LARGE recess. I'd rather have loose plates that I can fit with PVA and a ruler and a cocktail stick, and get a better result that the factory is managing.

Spoils an otherwise fine model that you should be proud of.

I usually hate the sort of posts like the one I'm about to write but... That recess looks awful! Maybe it's made worse in close-up photos but then I don't have any option than to rely on those since this is an exclusive model for Hattons. In a time when money is tight I am seriously reconsidering my pre-order and will very likely cancel my King pre-order too. I guess this is unlikely to make any difference to Hattons on its own (hence my usual dislike of this kind of post) but if enough people share the same view, maybe it can still be changed... I really hope so!

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

We have a small list of items to be sorted on these but we feel we have to clarify the numberplates as it has caused a lot of discussion.  We have asked China to make the plates a fraction larger to fit the recess correctly.  As it is, the plates are a fraction under scale and the recess is the correct size.  Neither us or Dave Jones were happy about them and we appreciate this has also been the opinion of a lot of others on this forum.  We will be getting this sorted as we agree it spoils the look of the model.  With regard to the idea for 'pips', we have spoken to an industry expert (who produces etches) and they agree with us that etching both sides of the plates, where high accuracy is needed such as in this case, is not practicable due to the process used to create them.  Double sided etches are not common (we have never come across any in either the model railway or other modelling industries) and we cannot find any other way of doing it as reliably as increasing the size of the plate to fill the void.  This is top of our priorities and it will be sorted before the models are released and we will show the new sample as soon as we receive it.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 5

Double sided etching is the industry norm, I think you're referring to 3 layer etching which is less common but no less do-able. I have my artwork approved ready to make replacements for these models using the 3 layer process. It is very expensive though, so there will probably be a rethink once I've got my model in hand, there's probably going to be some self assembly required! 

I wasn't aware the plates were brass etchings. I assumed they were plastic hence my reference to locating pips on their backs to go in holes in the cabsides. When trying to move the bar upwards, it is sometimes best to accept established practice. In this particular case printed number plates. This way, people wanting to renumber their loco for a particular shed can do so easily by gluing aftermarket engraved plates on top of the printed version. If Hattons plates are going into a recess they must be on pretty thick brass....22thou or thicker? Most engraved plates are on 8 or 10thou.

Edited by coachmann

Once the models are released so exact measurements are available  some enterprising soul(sole) should warm up their 3D software and printer and crank out a new number plate for every 48XX/14XX. Spray them black and tampo with brass/gold and we can be done with this little episode of the Chinese factory not listening to directions.

Now which model would work best for 1467/4867 as it would have appeared in June 1947. My Brixton branch layout demised several years ago when I caught a Southern bug and converted the baseboard to Padstow but I would like to have one anyway.  I have some fishy interests......

And while you are at it with the 3D stuff lets build a nice version of a GWR autocoach (not BR version)

Edited by autocoach
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This model really appeals to me. However a 14xx is a luxury. It's not my normal interest so its ' could have' rather than a ' must have'.

So it needs to be right and the number plate malarky is really off putting. If it can be resolved then I will probably order one. It really is a gorgeous looking model but the moulded recess thing is a throw back to Triang, to place the stickers in....

Rob

@Hatton's Dave

How easy/difficult will it be to fit a DCC decoder?

Where is it located and how much space is there to fit the decoder? 

apologies if this question has been asked before and I've missed the answer.

Edited by NickC

• RMweb Gold

@Hatton's Dave

How easy/difficult will it be to fit a DCC decoder?

Where is it located and how much space is there to fit the decoder? 

apologies if this question has been asked before and I've missed the answer.

Hi NickC

The decoder socket is located in the smokebox, the door is held on with a magnet and then the socket can be pulled out (it's on flying leads) and the decoder installed.  There will also be a pair of leads that can be attached to a sound decoder that lead under the cab to the bunker and can be soldered to a sugar cube which has a small enclosure under the coal load.  It is very similar to the J94/Austerity design.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave for the DDC Sound fitting info.

Anyone know of a good soundfile for this 0-4-2T, ie: minus the full forward gear machine gun effect at speed.....? With only one or two auto trailers, something is needed that toddles along on light steam and coasts. 

@Hatton's Dave

Thank you for your quick response. It is refreshing that fitment of the DCC decoder is going to be easy compared to all the dismantling required with some other manufactures locos.

Hi NickC

The decoder socket is located in the smokebox, the door is held on with a magnet and then the socket can be pulled out (it's on flying leads) and the decoder installed.  There will also be a pair of leads that can be attached to a sound decoder that lead under the cab to the bunker and can be soldered to a sugar cube which has a small enclosure under the coal load.  It is very similar to the J94/Austerity design.

Cheers

Dave

Excellent ideas that DJM appears to have started with the Kernow Beattie Well Tank and expanded on with the Adams 02. Now if they only had room for a 'keep alive' capacitor attached to the decoder or maybe even a blue tooth receiver. Hornby/Bachmann please take notice.

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent ideas that DJM appears to have started with the Kernow Beattie Well Tank and expanded on with the Adams 02. Now if they only had room for a 'keep alive' capacitor attached to the decoder or maybe even a blue tooth receiver. Hornby/Bachmann please take notice.

FWIW....

My Well tank has sound, and the Well tank smokebox will hold both chip and a speaker and this was not designed with sound in mind. I have not added sound to an O2 yet (because no one does a proper sound file for it, though the M7 is close until you get to the push pull noises), but that has a dedicated space for a speaker (bunker) plus the same space in the smokebox for a chip. I therefore feel you can get a stay alive capacitor into the smokebox with the chip.

Of course I am assuming that the Hattons 14XX etc series are following the exact same concept as the O2....

• 3 weeks later...