RMweb

Hattons announce 14xx / 48xx / 58xx

Andy Y

At normal viewing distances it isn't particularly noticeable, my criticism would be that it doesn't sit quite proud enough of the body sides even through the relief and clarity is better than that found on most etched brass plates. Any gap has the appearance of a slight shadow which is OK. The positive of them not having much relief above the body sides is that a replacement etched plate could be sat directly over it although the plate inserts can be removed.

• RMweb Gold

At normal viewing distances it isn't particularly noticeable, my criticism would be that it doesn't sit quite proud enough of the body sides even through the relief and clarity is better than that found on most etched brass plates. Any gap has the appearance of a slight shadow which is OK. The positive of them not having much relief above the body sides is that a replacement etched plate could be sat directly over it although the plate inserts can be removed.

Thanks for these Andy.When you blow the photo of 4807 up the plates do look poor fitting to me.

• RMweb Gold

Those look delightful and if that's the factory weathering, then well done.

I agree regarding the depth of the steps up to the footplate, but the only other major thing for me is the chunky lamp irons. Easy enough to replace, and probably not something that can be scaled down too easily and still maintain the price that these locos will sell for.

I'm looking forward to getting mine, anyway.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Those look delightful and if that's the factory weathering, then well done.

I agree regarding the depth of the steps up to the footplate, but the only other major thing for me is the chunky lamp irons. Easy enough to replace, and probably not something that can be scaled down too easily and still maintain the price that these locos will sell for.

I'm looking forward to getting mine, anyway.

Yes, I agree the factory weathering is decent with the wartime black version particularly nice.Here's hoping a Modelu lamp slots over easily !

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for these Andy.When you blow the photo of 4807 up the plates do look poor fitting to me.

Indeed,

Hopefully DJM prove to be as receptive to constructive criticism and continuous improvement as they have implied in the past and do away with this poorly thought out feature on future releases!

The weathering on the other hand looks very good!

It has been said that Hatton's will not supply spares due to limited numbers on parts. I would like to portray a 58XX with a topfeed (as some did get them in the 1950s) so what would be the best way to go about this? Buy a 14XX and remove the autogear from the front?

I don't particularly wish to buy a spare 14XX to take parts off to put on a 58XX.

Edited by 9793

• RMweb Gold

One thing I noticed particularly is the holes in the bottom of the levers holding the brake blocks, due to the brake gear not being fitted. I would like to see photos of these locos with the full brake gear in place.

Diver's gong to find a bit hard to see through the cab window's, to me the wathering looks to flat,if you look at the boiler on a real loco it still carrys a shine to the paint work, due to water condensation.

Edited by darren01

• RMweb Gold

I do not understand why Hattons didn't request that the numberplate recesses be made smaller than the actual plates, with a corresponding extra thickness on the back of the plate - positive location and the numberplate standing proud of the cabsheet as it should.

Can't argue with that, Nigel. That would have been a clever piece of design, ensuring that those who weren't confident fitting alternative plates could get it 'square on', whilst those who are happy to fit the usual replacement etched plates could also do so.

• RMweb Gold

Might want to think about having a driver / fireman wipe an oily rag over the footplate windows.. not sure the crew can see where they are going...

nice loco's these though, the first picture above, compares well to this image..

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6213/6220372872_a904278ef9.jpg

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

I do not understand why Hattons didn't request that the numberplate recesses be made smaller than the actual plates, with a corresponding extra thickness on the back of the plate - positive location and the numberplate standing proud of the cabsheet as it should.

Probably because you can't mould plastic numberplates that thin?

Regards,

John Isherwood/

It's expensive. IF there is sufficient justification, then I will offer etched plates that will do just this - however you can forget £2 a pair as for my normal plates, you'll be looking at at least a £5 note, if not more.

The models look superb and IMHO the best DJM product, I hope the Class 92 is as good as this. However there's always a few niggles, I've never had a chance to see a real one all dirty but here goes:-

- I personally think the weathering can be reduced a little bit.

- Having brown windows doesn't look right at all. At least a part of it should be wiped clean.
- Number plates look as bad as ever, the weathering only makes the gap look more obvious. Sorry for the negative statement, but it's just looking worse. I don't buy the normal viewing distance theory one bit! One can easily resize a pic of said model on their computer and even on a pixelated screen, the gap is clearly visible. I can imagine how much better and sharper that would be to the naked eye.

Overall it's a great model, I think what lets it down can be easily corrected! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's expensive. IF there is sufficient justification, then I will offer etched plates that will do just this - however you can forget £2 a pair as for my normal plates, you'll be looking at at least a £5 note, if not more.

Cabside plates from Fox and Modelmaster are already over the £5 mark.Checking this morning found that Fox don't do all of the 48xx number range.

Cabside plates from Fox and Modelmaster are already over the £5 mark.Checking this morning found that Fox don't do all of the 48xx number range.

I know which is why I set up doing them myself, I can't justify spending over a fiver a pop for etched plates on a loco, if I could even get one with the right number, so I spent several hundred and made a whole range. Yes I'm crazy. 

• Like 2

Pictures look great thus far, has anyone received one yet to give a review of the operational side of things? Just trying to gauge feedback before ordering one. 

I haven't seen one running yet in the flesh but Hatton's have upped the motor spec and weight to increase its haulage capacity. They have tested it up to six coaches - not that anyone should be expecting that of it!

I haven't seen one running yet in the flesh but Hatton's have upped the motor spec and weight to increase its haulage capacity. They have tested it up to six coaches - not that anyone should be expecting that of it!

Thank you Andy, i'll keep an eye out.

cheers,

Paul.