Heljan GWR 47xx Night Owl

Hilux5972

Just had my 'Great Western' 47xx delivered,  But as at work, not been able to do a full inspection. But through the plastic packing everything appears to be in place. Out of interest can anyone tell me if the packaging is the same as the earlier batches which had the problems with arriving damaged?

Neil

post-28787-0-34761100-1529313501_thumb.jpg

post-28787-0-34761100-1529313501_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Just had my 'Great Western' 47xx delivered,  But as at work, not been able to do a full inspection. But through the plastic packing everything appears to be in place. Out of interest can anyone tell me if the packaging is the same as the earlier batches which had the problems with arriving damaged?

Neil

It looks identical to me. I received two of the earlier versions in identical packaging, both with broken steps and other bits loose in the packaging. There was no damage to the box or plastic case, which makes me think the damage occurred before it left the factory whilst it was being packaged.

Rovex

• RMweb Gold

Well today was my first sighting of one. A black BR version was doing circuits on the test track at the Quorn GCR event hauling six and toying smoothly and effortlessly with them as expected. It had "presence" I will admit.The cab plates are as a zit on the hide of an elephant though.No surprises there.

Verdict to myself and solely a personal observation. ....Promising.Possibly will order Fox plates and Duchy headboard prior to arrival of BR l/c version in green.I am still having a private price gripe about it though.

The only "sighting" of the imminent BR lined version appears on Hattons latest email. I have qualms about what I see in regard to the lining and its application .Any thoughts ?

The only "sighting" of the imminent BR lined version appears on Hattons latest email. I have qualms about what I see in regard to the lining and its application .Any thoughts ?

The BR lining doesn't work for me.

It takes the eye to the cab and tender and away from the strong lines of the shape of the loco.

Don't like the silvery rods either, although that is correctable.

Does no one ever look at pictures of newly overhauled steam locos leaving Swindon Works with thick greased rods?

• RMweb Gold

The BR lining doesn't work for me.

It takes the eye to the cab and tender and away from the strong lines of the shape of the loco.

Don't like the silvery rods either, although that is correctable.

Does no one ever look at pictures of newly overhauled steam locos leaving Swindon Works with thick greased rods?

Thank you for that,so it isn't just me than.I have a very uncomfortable feeling that this is what we'll get when it arrives shortly.If that IS it then I'll pass.By comparison with other manufacturers such as Hornby the lining is both crude and distracting as you say.

Thank you for that,so it isn't just me than.I have a very uncomfortable feeling that this is what we'll get when it arrives shortly.If that IS it then I'll pass.By comparison with other manufacturers such as Hornby the lining is both crude and distracting as you say.

It's certainly an unflattering pic, if this is the one, but studio pics can be a long way from reality, let us pray.. :)

post-7929-0-47662900-1529362094.jpg

While boiler lining has in recent years been quite poor on many recent RTR models from the big two manufacturers, their cab and tender lining has been usually good, sometimes excellent.

I found the rendition of GWR green on my 4704 shirtbutton version to be very attractive but somehow it never looks quite as good in photos, so as ever it's too soon to judge the BR version?

I don't know where or who took the photo of the BR version, front wheels not even on the track, and both Hattons and Rails are using the photo.

the BR black version looks much better in the Hattons pic....

post-7929-0-84114900-1529363600.jpg

Let's hope the BR pic is an aberration. 

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Look on the bright side - at least they appear to have got the RA 'dot' and the 'X' load code in the right place on this one (unlike the BR black one)

• Like 1

Just needs a light weathering to dull down the brightness of the lined out example. edit, but the lining on the cylinders does look a little 'heavy'.

Talking of lining, this is more like it ( and a correct shape smoke-box door!!) 

post-7336-0-48439700-1529405700_thumb.jpg

Edited by bike2steam
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Just needs a light weathering to dull down the brightness of the lined out example. edit, but the lining on the cylinders does look a little 'heavy'.

Just ? Looks from this sample far too thick and as if it's been applied with a palette knife.As has been posted above the lining application is distracting rather than in harmony with the general overall appearance of the model.The lining appears as the main event.

There are colour photos of the 47XX in existence which clearly show the delicacy of the lining when freshly outshopped on receiving BR green as Larry has pointed out to us. Similar skills and techniques are available in 4mm form but at least from these images they seem to have eluded Heljan.One can only hope that these current images are a "rough cut" sample.....I wish.

My dream of one hauling the "Royal Duchy" in model form is evaporating.At least they were pristine for a while when heading that.

• RMweb Gold

This is the first Heljan product I have ever bought - it may be the last...

There was a loose part in the packaging and the pony assembly is seriously awry:

post-32492-0-30292900-1529411666_thumb.jpg

This is very disappointing.

[Edit: Panic over! The pony axle simply hadn't been clipped into place properly. Nothing bent, broken or warped. On the downside I found another loose piece of pipework hooked into one of the handrails. Should be easy to fix with some spots of superglue, if I can find where the loose bits came from...]

post-32492-0-58297000-1529411625_thumb.jpg

Edited by Harlequin

• RMweb Gold

There was a loose part in the packaging and the pony assembly is seriously awry:

attachicon.gifIMG_20180619_123320.jpg

[Edit: Panic over! The pony axle simply hadn't been clipped into place properly. Nothing bent, broken or warped. On the downside I found another loose piece of pipework hooked into one of the handrails. Should be easy to fix with some spots of superglue, if I can find where the loose bits came from...]

attachicon.gifIMG_20180619_130801.jpg

Yet some persist in blaming it on the carrier or RM.

Just ? Looks from this sample far too thick and as if it's been applied with a palette knife.As has been posted above the lining application is distracting rather than in harmony with the general overall appearance of the model.The lining appears as the main event.

There are colour photos of the 47XX in existence which clearly show the delicacy of the lining when freshly outshopped on receiving BR green as Larry has pointed out to us. Similar skills and techniques are available in 4mm form but at least from these images they seem to have eluded Heljan.One can only hope that these current images are a "rough cut" sample.....I wish.

My dream of one hauling the "Royal Duchy" in model form is evaporating.At least they were pristine for a while when heading that.

I tend to agree, but I was 'just' being kind. From the old days when visiting Old Oak shed, the first place to go was the '47 road', just to see what was there, it has been one of my favourite classes, I would like a decent model but hesitating at the moment !!?? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I tend to agree, but I was 'just' being kind. From the old days when visiting Old Oak shed, the first place to go was the '47 road', just to see what was there, it has been one of my favourite classes, I would like a decent model but hesitating at the moment !!??

You and me both.Quite honestly ATM the only ones that I have any hopes for are the latest G crest W post war version and the unlined BR black,though neither are what I want. Because of the curved cab cut,the lining of the model is crucial on the BR late version.Getting that wrong creates a glaring visual mismatch which ruins the appearance of the loco.

• RMweb Premium

IMG_20180619_123320.jpg

IMG_20180619_130801.jpg

Quite a few of us, myself included, had this issue. Easily solved thank goodness.

attachicon.gif47XX_1.jpg

That is a bit unfair.  This is a Martin Finney 7mm scale etched brass 4700 clearly built and finished to a very high standard in both its construction and painting & lining.  This is a mile better than any plastic RTR model could ever be plus of course it is 7mm.

Tony

Edited by Rail-Online

• RMweb Gold

That is a bit unfair.  This is a Martin Finney 7mm scale etched brass 4700 clearly built and finished to a very high standard in both its construction and painting & lining.  This is a mile better than any plastic RTR model could ever be plus of course it is 7mm.

Tony

Maybe. But at least the image demonstrates what it should be and its posting serves a valuable purpose in that alone.

• Like 1

Tony

Yes, exactly, superb isn't it ??!! I just wish, I had the time, the space, and the money to go 7mm, with stuff like that I'd be the proverbial pig in sh**. :sungum:

Maybe. But at least the image demonstrates what it should be

Arguably all it demonstrates is someone else's interpretation of the original. Is anyone guaranteed to be immune from errors? Edited by JimC

• RMweb Gold

Arguably all it demonstrates is someone else's interpretation of the original. Is anyone guaranteed to be immune from errors?

Yes arguably.But you can split hairs ad infinitum.My best response is to guide you towards colour images of the prototype and then view what the prototypes were like in the late fifties when freshly painted and lined. IMHO the Finney example comes close.

If this is what is imminently on offer in 4mm scale from Heljan ( and I hope it is not ) then it misses by a country mile and qualifies as something more extreme than an error

A copy of "The Heyday Of Old Oak Common and is Locomotives" a collection edited by Chris Leigh and published by Ian Allan is a book to look at .On page 39 is a colour photo of 4704 taken by Dick Riley in October 1957 .This references the point.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gif47XX_1.jpg

Very nice photo indeed.

• RMweb Gold

A little research suggests that, for example, the boiler band lining on the late BR(WR) lined versions of 47XX should be this profile:

• 0.04mm chrome orange (1/8th inch prototype)
  • 0.2mm gap (green) (5/8th inch prototype)
  • 0.33mm black (1inch prototype)
  • 0.2mm gap (green) (5/8th inch prototype)
  • 0.04mm chrome orange (1/8th inch prototype)
So the whole detail should be 0.81mm wide on the model.

But photos do seem to suggest the chrome orange lines were more prominent than 1/8th of an inch:

Maybe it's just my eyes. Maybe the colour contrast between orange and green makes the orange lines look wider. Maybe it's a photographic artefact...

It's a bit of a minefield! (Thank goodness my interest is in the period when they were unlined!)
Edited by Harlequin

• RMweb Premium

My 4707 turned up today.  Ordered the day that pre-order books opened: it has been a long wait.

I am very very pleased with the engine.  It runs quietly, there are no real defects (loose front bogie wheel - clipped back into its cradle).

The packaging really is something special - but I sort of expected that for the price.

As far as I'm concerned, the G**W logo'd version gets 10/10.

Well done Heljan.

• Like 4

Well my Great Western 4705 arrived yesterday to join my shirtbutton 4704. There was a tiny piece of black Lshaped plastic in the box and i spent ages looking for where it came from. I had the advantage of being able to compare the locos but if am honest i can’t see its location. It is a round pipe like section so not a lamp iron and it’s stored now in case it’s location comes to light. The new loco and it’s sister run very sweetly and am very impressed. Yes I’ve been lucky re no damage and whilst there has been some criticism - some justified, im not complaining. Well done Heljan. Don’t desert OO gauge steam for O gauge and there must be something in the pipeline as there are no locos awaited in OO.

• Like 1

Received 4707 yesterday from Rails with decoder fitted, runs very well no parts missing although I did ask Rails to double check it before despatch.

Overall very pleased with loco and performance probably because Rails checked it first.

Terry

• Like 1