RMweb

Kernow GWR steam rail motor

DJM Dave

10 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

Indeed, 3/4 of the locos I brought this year were sound fitted! Next year just 1 of the 6 on pre-order (so far!) will be DCC sound.

Yes, I buy sound fitted where I trust the manufacturer and where it’s available. I do my best to fit sound to locos without but all the new stuff coming out doesn’t make it easy! It was the decision of a moment to upgrade to sound for the steam railmotor when it was made available,

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Planning ahead for the arrival of the Steam Railmotor I was wondering if anyone had any information on the platform clearance required for the motor bogie and Dean suspension. The Accurascale Manor has already caused a platform rebuild due to its cylinder width.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Limpley Stoker said:

Planning ahead for the arrival of the Steam Railmotor I was wondering if anyone had any information on the platform clearance required for the motor bogie and Dean suspension. The Accurascale Manor has already caused a platform rebuild due to its cylinder width.

There are a couple of drawings on GreatWestern.org  http://www.greatwestern.org.uk/coach_draw.htm

Suggesting the width over the steps is 8ft 11 or 9ft

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

There are a couple of drawings on GreatWestern.org  http://www.greatwestern.org.uk/coach_draw.htm

Thank you for pointing me at that archive. Looking at the model it looks as though though the bogie suspension arms project well beyond the steps.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Limpley Stoker said:

Thank you for pointing me at that archive. Looking at the model it looks as though though the bogie suspension arms project well beyond the steps.

To allow for clearances for those using 2nd radius curves etc. the model comes with two sets of valve gear scrolls, the wider set (as fitted in the picture a few posts above)  have an overall width of 38mm (19mm from track centreline) with a narrower set provided that are 36mm. 

The passenger door footsteps are modelled in their stowed inwards position.

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold

Thank you - that’s most helpful. So a scale width of 9 ft is just over the 8’11 1/8 “  for the Manor’s cylinders - should fit most oo platforms with the narrower scrolls fitted.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Sounds about right as a tad obver 8ft 11" (so no doubt as near 9ft as made no difference) matches the GWR's maximum permitted vehicle width at that height above rail level.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Free At Last said:

Leaving despatch until next year suits me, as they won't then get bogged down or thrown about with the Xmas post.

Not me as it was going to be my xmas present - but then I cant remember the last time a preorder actually arrived in time for the intended celebration!

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Question: to add variety & interest to 93 ( just checked my order with Kernow)  what prototypically would one couple to it ? Maybe Dapol could be induced to produce trailer 92 ?  Or what else  ? Intriguing….

Ideally you need a copy of Lewis's SRM & Autotrailer books.🙂

In fact they could be seen hauling almost any type of coach, if there was a run round loop, not necessarily a proper trailer

There' are pictures in the books of a SRM with a 70' Concertina slip and a Toplight as a trailing load, another has a 6 wheel saloon, one combo pictured, is a SRM (forward) + Trailer + SRM (reversed)

Then there's the Clerestory rooved vehicles as in Miss Ps post above, some of which were later fitted out as a trailers.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
On 07/11/2023 at 21:27, Miss Prism said:

srm-crimson.jpg.0278633fb8fabbe6d55b291b7aee02bb.jpg

On 07/11/2023 at 23:54, melmerby said:

Ideally you need a copy of Lewis's SRM & Autotrailer books.🙂

In fact they could be seen hauling almost any type of coach, if there was a run round loop, not necessarily a proper trailer

There' are pictures in the books of a SRM with a 70' Concertina slip and a Toplight as a trailing load, another has a 6 wheel saloon, one combo pictured, is a SRM (forward) + Trailer + SRM (reversed)

Then there's the Clerestory rooved vehicles as in Miss Ps post above, some of which were later fitted out as a trailers.

The interesting thing about the photo - taken just west of Sonning Cutting - is whether or not that is a Henley to Reading working because if it is the railmotor would have run round the coach at Twyford.

In the originally piulished copy of the phot (Oakwood Press Locomotion Papers No.48, 'GW London Suburban Services')  it is simply described as '... near Sonning Box 1925'.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

The interesting thing about the photo - taken just west of Sonning Cutting - is whether or not that is a Henley to Reading working because if it is the railmotor would have run round the coach at Twyford.

In the originally piulished copy of the phot (Oakwood Press Locomotion Papers No.48, 'GW London Suburban Services')  it is simply described as '... near Sonning Box 1925'.

Im working on the basis that it is a Henley to Reading service - I just need a 10 compartment all third 😎

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

I don't have ready access to my Lewis autocoaches books at the moment, so cannot check whether the any of the clerestories fitted out as a trailers match those in that Henley to Reading picture. If they don't, the train would indeed have to run round its train at Twyford as Stationmaster Mike notes (and Reading, Twyford and Henley on the return service!). Maybe someone can check in the books to advise. The strange aspect of the clerestory is that there seems only to be two grab handles on the side. (Were any C22s modified to be open saloons?) The SRM itself is possibly no 84.

Here is suburban type no 46, allegedly on the Calne branch, with seemingly a normal 8-compartment clerestory 3rd, either a narrow C10 or the wider C22. Both diagrams were ubiquitous, particularly the C10, and were the 'go-to' strengthers on trains of their day.

srm46.jpg.09c78287569250e82adda182e853f986.jpg

Edited by Miss Prism
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

I don't have ready access to my Lewis autocoaches books at the moment, so cannot check whether the any of the clerestories fitted out as a trailers match those in that Henley to Reading picture. If they don't, the train would indeed have to run round its train at Twyford as Stationmaster Mike notes (and Reading, Twyford and Henley on the return service!). Maybe someone can check in the books to advise. The strange aspect of the clerestory is that there seems only to be two grab handles on the side. (Were any C22s modified to be open saloons?) The SRM itself is possibly no 84.

There is a photo (page 125, Auto Trailers Part 1) with either the same or very similar train. It is described as SRM 85 with one of the clerestory trailers. "It might be 14 or 15 of Diagram G as there seems to be only two passenger doors on the side that is visible, evidenced by the commode handles."

The window and ventilator, and grab handle layout seems to be the same in both photos. No location is given but the train is travelling on a four track line, on what could be the down relief. Again both vehicles are in the lake livery and the photo is taken from the nearside.

Trailers 14 & 15 were rebuilt from 1893 C8 thirds originally built for 'The Cornishman'. They had their original interiors removed and were rebuilt with a two saloon layout.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

21 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Thanks, Nick. The evidence fits. It's a rebuilt C8. I wonder how long it lasted?

According to Lewis, no. 14 was finally condemned in December 1953 and no. 15 in April 1938.

Incidentally two more C8s were rebuilt as trailers (16 & 17) to Diagram H, though these retained their internal compartments, corridor, and external doors.

All four were converted in July 1905.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1