Kernow GWR steam rail motor

DJM Dave

1 hour ago, Simond said:

About 1974, we had a cap inspection at school.  We were expected to wear them at all times in uniform outside the school gates until the sixth form.  

Desperating trying to stay somewhere close to O/T (he says), we had a similar situation c.1970 at Teignmouth, a GWR station that the steam rail motors must ocassionally have passed through on their way from Swindon Works to duty in Plymouth, Looe, wherever. (Is that close enough?)

Caps were removed during school train journeys.

That's if we'd got them down from the station rafters before the train arrived. Because a favoured pastime while waiting for the train was to try and throw caps through the gap between the rafters and roof. Causing displeasure and grumbling from station staff every time a cap or two got stuck and we had to beg them to fetch a station ladder to retrieve them. The junior staff saw the funny side, the senior staff didn't. Eventually it reached a crisis point - the station staff kept one cap, and sent it with a written complaint to the headmaster, and the wrath of the headmaster descended upon us from a great height. No more cap throwing, ever!

• Like 6
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Would a trip on a SRM be considered more akin to travelling on an omnibus or tram?

Plenty of gentleman wearing hats here on the omnibus , albeit in 1902, when I thought the rules might be stricter.

IMG_0602.jpeg.a87fd4c7f242e295286856c7b63873c2.jpeg

https://www.alamy.com/horse-drawn-omnibus-on-a-north-london-routing-about-1902-image234301466.html

The Kinver Light Railway about 1901

https://distinctlyblackcountry.wordpress.com/reviews/route-to-inland-resort/

image.png.c393ea6d08e2107ee83d1db846c5d187.png

On the tram trailer below (circa 1890) is that a gent wearing a hat (L lower deck).

IMG_0845.jpeg
http://www.tramwaybadgesandbuttons.com/page148/page149/styled-42/page471.html

Edited by rprodgers
Additions
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, rprodgers said:

Would a trip on a SRM be considered more akin to travelling on an omnibus or tram?

Plenty of gentleman wearing hats here on the omnibus , albeit in 1902, when I thought the rules might be stricter.

https://www.alamy.com/horse-drawn-omnibus-on-a-north-london-routing-about-1902-image234301466.html

The Kinver Light Railway about 1901

https://distinctlyblackcountry.wordpress.com/reviews/route-to-inland-resort/

image.png.c393ea6d08e2107ee83d1db846c5d187.png

On the tram trailer below (circa 1890) is that a gent wearing a hat (L lower deck).

IMG_0845.jpeg
http://www.tramwaybadgesandbuttons.com/page148/page149/styled-42/page471.html

Perhaps gents hats were optional on open trams as they were on a charabanc.  The gent in the closed tram prefers his own company !

IMG_0277.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Limpley Stoker said:

Perhaps gents hats were optional on open trams as they were on a charabanc.  The gent in the closed tram prefers his own company !

IMG_0277.jpeg

Or on omnibuses see link below?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I can't understand missing an artificial leg but I can underwear.

A friend from years ago arrived home after a good night out to find a pair of ladies knickers in his pocket!😆

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I can't understand missing an artificial leg but I can underwear.

A friend from years ago arrived home after a good night out to find a pair of ladies knickers in his pocket!😆

A certain sort of lady always has her knickers in her handbag - just in case she needs them. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

8 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

A certain sort of lady always has her knickers in her handbag - just in case she needs them. 

Perhaps that should be - "a proper lady"...

Note: I had a very short [two word] lesson on the subject from a truly delightful lady, which was one of those light-bulb moments.

I note the following on Kernow's project page:

Project update –  11th January 2024

We are pleased to advise that the large quantity of GWR Steam Railmotors will be fully with us this Friday (12th). We will undertake all the necessary inspections and checks and aim to start sending customer orders, in payment date order, from Monday 15th January.

Obviously with such a large number of orders to process some customers will receive theirs before others, so please be patient, we will get to everyone's order as soon as we can!

Please note that the Sound Fitted versions are being fitted and tested with the decoder in our own workshop facility, so these versions will take a little longer to onward despatch.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 5

41 minutes ago, sjrixon said:

That's an amazing update - So looking forward to this one.. 

Yes, I went onto the Kernow site just to double check my re-order was there, and in the list of orders was my original pre-order of 2020, and these will have been a decade in the making. It's nothing short of thrilling to think that we shall have these very soon.  

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Email received today about an order being dispatched, i only have one order with Kernow. 😀😀

Edited by 57xx
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the reminders gents.Thought I’d phone to update my card. No worries.It’s paid apparently. Which was news to me …….another senior moment.  They arrive in Camborne today so I am recently informed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Please remember we have literally 1000s to dispatch, and will generally be done in 'date paid for' order, this means some customers will receive theirs before others...and some will receive theirs after those some, but before others..

As already stated the sound fitted versions are being fitted and tested within the KMRC own top secret workshop (located just along the A30 protected by impenetrable road works that have been going on almost as long as the railmotor project) so will take a little longer to prepare and dispatch.

But be rest assured all will be dispatched in due course, so please be patient and resist the testation to call, post on forums, fax, electronic mail or send pigeons asking 'where mine is..'

Thank you. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Thanks for the reminders gents.Thought I’d phone to update my card. No worries.It’s paid apparently. Which was news to me …….another senior moment.  They arrive in Camborne today so I am recently informed.

Yes - All paid for, which hurt when I did it, but now, feels like my sound fitted version is free! :)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, sjrixon said:

......feels like my sound fitted version is free! :)

If it's free.... that means I can buy another one 😎

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

Is there likely to be good availability of these after pre-orders have gone out?

Yes, trying to buck the current trend, production quantities have included for ongoing stock not to just fulfil pre-orders / closed order books.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Graham_Muz said:

Please remember we have literally 1000s to dispatch, and will generally be done in 'date paid for' order

Absolutely. I am near the back of the queue having decided life would be better with than without one of these only quite recently. 

My order history on the shop site says “Awaiting stock allocation” despite it being fully pre-paid. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

Yes, trying to buck the current trend, production quantities have included for ongoing stock not to just fulfil pre-orders / closed order books.

That is fantastic to hear, thanks! 👍

• RMweb Gold

Apologies if I trigger an influx of "Where's mine?" posts, Graham 😀

Edited by 57xx
phone induced formatting errors

Kernow advise me Railmotor on the way ( I ordered it when DJM Dave announced it), excellent news. I had brown hair and white teeth when first announced - now it's the other way around!

With Hattons throwing in the towel, I've diverted my order for a Dapol GWR autotrailer to Kernow (found it was cheaper with them, too).

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
On 06/01/2024 at 15:47, Michael Hodgson said:

We've got 4, and yes can have too many!  Even though I wouldn't get rid of any of them.

Four here too, often referred to as “the trip hazards”. 

Roy

• Agree 1