Dettingen GCR might have been layout

Photos now on a computer, resized and showing the first empties tain ready

post-23520-0-21604600-1487347417_thumb.jpg

post-23520-0-52348800-1487347422_thumb.jpg

Am now 5 wagons into the fulls.

there is another half and empty tain to work on. Just awaiting wheels.

There have been few posts due to the repetative nature of up dating coal wagon after coal wagon, bearings fitted, metal wheels, couplings and interior.

Plus heavy work load through February.

Richard

• Like 13

You can't have too many coal wagons on a GC layout.

Or too many Manvers Main wagons as a subset.

I have four in the empties train and another four in the full train. They travel together back to home but separately when full to their different destinations.
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The head of the full coal train will have this pair leading

post-23520-0-06852800-1488419103_thumb.jpg

post-23520-0-12981200-1488419124_thumb.jpg

Great resin castings from mr king. The underframe is so on show it had to be done in some detail.

These were taken on the cooker as the extra light allows the file size to be small enough.

Still working through the first target for the year. In month three and not distracted yet, but the Robinson pacific does keep calling to me. That and the mogul.

Richard

• Like 5

I rather like those big 30 or 40-ton coal wagons, pity they didn't work quite as well as intended as they might well have revolutionised coal traffic.

If you're thinking about Robinson's 1912 or 1913 design for a mogul, there is a drawing of it in W A Tuplin's 'Great Central Steam'.  I built one a few years ago, a Bachmann GWR mogul with a whitemetal 'Director' boiler grafted on.  It would be an easier conversion now- a GBL Butler Henderson could be sacrificed for its boiler.  I think I have a few photos of my effort somewhere, if they would be of any use to you. 

• Like 2

I rather like those big 30 or 40-ton coal wagons, pity they didn't work quite as well as intended as they might well have revolutionised coal traffic.

If you're thinking about Robinson's 1912 or 1913 design for a mogul, there is a drawing of it in W A Tuplin's 'Great Central Steam'.  I built one a few years ago, a Bachmann GWR mogul with a whitemetal 'Director' boiler grafted on.  It would be an easier conversion now- a GBL Butler Henderson could be sacrificed for its boiler.  I think I have a few photos of my effort somewhere, if they would be of any use to you.

I had seen the diagram, that was what spurred my thoughts. Love to see what you have done. As to the coal wagons, Robinson was definitely thinking beyond his time, like Babbage but not quite such a leap of imagination.

Richard

• Like 2

She's more than overdue for a rebuild, being nearly four years old, and needs a repaint into GCR livery, and needs a new tender!  But I was quite pleased with her when I first built her, and somehow she just looks right. 

DSCF3113_zpsoiqjzhaw.jpg

I did something different to the drawing where the splashers are concerned and went for one continuous splasher rather than a series of small ones- which seems more likely to me looking at the general family appearance of the Directors/ Sam Fays/ Glenalmonds and RODs. 

• Like 5

She's more than overdue for a rebuild, being nearly four years old, and needs a repaint into GCR livery, and needs a new tender!  But I was quite pleased with her when I first built her, and somehow she just looks right. 

DSCF3113_zpsoiqjzhaw.jpg

I did something different to the drawing where the splashers are concerned and went for one continuous splasher rather than a series of small ones- which seems more likely to me looking at the general family appearance of the Directors/ Sam Fays/ Glenalmonds and RODs.

Thanks. That looks good. The straight splasher is also easier to make, and line.

I have a mogul to hand so it might need to force its way into the queue. I would try to follow thedraweing if only so we can compare the relative visula merits of the two designs. Now the wind needs to drop from the gale that is blowing and the snow advised for tomorrow needs to stay away so i can spray the coal wagons in grey primer.

Richard

• Like 2

..... As to the coal wagons, Robinson was definitely thinking beyond his time, like Babbage but not quite such a leap of imagination.

Richard

The CR were in the same situation in 1902 with their 30T coal wagons.  Despite their best efforts their industrial customers were not willing to invest in suitable infrastructure to enable them to be efficiently unloaded.  They ended up as either loco coal wagons, merchandise wagons or sleeper wagons.  In the latter case, with the doors removed.

Jim

Then with the bogies

post-23520-0-76933600-1488634923_thumb.jpg

''Tis always the way, this is a trial fit and it highlights how the door "jammers?" Will foul the bogies so they really need to be bent properly. I had just done a simple fold down but the need the extra 45degree bend in the middle. Totally unnoticeable from two feet but it will mean the stock can go round a corner.

Richard

• Like 5

I always think those vacuum fitted bogie coal wagons must have given drivers of long coal trains a nice sense of assurance when working down hill. Although, having said that, there's a published photo of just such a train 'off the road' at Torside, so maybe sometimes they gave a bit too much assurance.

Fancy being given a shovel, and being told to unload one of those babies!

• Like 2

I always think those vacuum fitted bogie coal wagons must have given drivers of long coal trains a nice sense of assurance when working down hill. Although, having said that, there's a published photo of just such a train 'off the road' at Torside, so maybe sometimes they gave a bit too much assurance.

Fancy being given a shovel, and being told to unload one of those babies!

I am sure my response would have included an expletive or two.

However, it would mean that I would have seen the GCR in all its true colour! Silver lining

Richard

I caught a window in the weather between the snow on Sunday and the rain today to spray paint the coal wagons.

post-23520-0-09983600-1488919819_thumb.jpg

Only one side done so far, letting it set for a moment. It has loco too small on the side but it was the only one I could find in my transfers and I did not feel up to painting my own.

More photos once coal is added and they are on the tracks.

Richard

• Like 8

Now running at the head of the rake.

post-23520-0-88085600-1488978323_thumb.jpg

post-23520-0-74429200-1488978336_thumb.jpg

Just a little light weathering and couplings to fit.......to all of the coal wagons. The next part of the modeling will be mundane and un photogenic but vital to get a wagon to move.

There may be one more shot before everyone prays for no more wagons to show the complete trains.

Richard

• Like 7

It does strike me that in the shot above there are three scratch built wagons, three r t r and four kit built ones. Thus achieving a rake not seen on most people's layouts. Not the main aim but I do get numbed by sameness of stock at shows where it occurs.

• Like 4

No, it wasn't from that particular supplier, rather from somewhere I'd had previous good service from.  I emailed them a few weeks ago asking where the kit was with no reply.... duly noted for when I'm next in the market for wagon kits and transfers.  Maybe I should have ordered just the transfer set rather than the pre-painted/ pre-lettered kit. 

I picked upmost on eBay either a made kits or bits from the same person/ shop over a week or two. They waited until I had finished and bundled it all together . Left me a happy customer. Have to say though that all needed work, horrible plastic wheels, no bearings, not weathered, insides not looking like wood, etc. so I still feel there is a bit of me in them when they run.

Richard

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Lovely to see so many coal wagons. A man after my own heart (I have about 140, almost all kits, none RTR but many still needing weathering). If in doubt always add a few more coal wagons. It was what kept the railways going.

Jonathan

• Like 1

For me there has to be a limit, the sidings at the back have been allocated and there is only a certain amount of space for coal wagons.

Having said that, the back has yet to be built so they are fitting a planned siding, not an actual one.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

This is really good.  I guess the coal exchange sidings add a lot of operational interest.   Just out of interest- what is the overall length of the layout and fiddleyards?

16ft ......so far, but it is a project in mid build......boards are 10yrs in, buildings 12years in construction and stock 17 years and counting.

• Like 2