Dettingen GCR might have been layout

The final two......complete.......or as close as I can get before having to put in an order to the U.K.

post-23520-0-03016200-1496749179_thumb.jpg

post-23520-0-57749600-1496749191_thumb.jpg

Roof tidied up on the paneled coach and other one finished off.

Just need bogies, or at least central part of bogie for steel one , I could file down the back of the bogie sides for the other but it seems a waste and I am looking what can be achieved with blue stuff which I hope to get soon by molding a front of one bogie side.

Bachman does make several versions of the bake, but at three feet this will stand up fine against them going past. No one does the paneled one.

What colour though? Too late for an lner train prewar so maroon seems the easiest option, or dirty teak paint never repainted for the paneled one.

Richard

• Like 4

The painting has been a chance to play merging in oil paints trying to use their slow drying time to good affect.

This seems to work on a planked wagon, but would it work for representing teak stock?

post-23520-0-63673300-1497210452_thumb.jpg

post-23520-0-21659500-1497210466_thumb.jpg

post-23520-0-83284400-1497210476_thumb.jpg

Only an experiment will tell.

Richard

Edited by richard i
  • Like 1

First try at a real teak finish

post-23520-0-04471600-1497357460_thumb.jpg

Now not up to mr king's standards but as a first try I am encouraged.

The CCT finished......

post-23520-0-55723700-1497357449_thumb.jpg

There is a lot of me which thinks it needs reprinting in a lighter teak colour.

Opinions?

Richard

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The final two......complete.......or as close as I can get before having to put in an order to the U.K.

attachicon.gifIMG_2884.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2885.JPG

Roof tidied up on the paneled coach and other one finished off.

Just need bogies, or at least central part of bogie for steel one , I could file down the back of the bogie sides for the other but it seems a waste and I am looking what can be achieved with blue stuff which I hope to get soon by molding a front of one bogie side.

Bachman does make several versions of the bake, but at three feet this will stand up fine against them going past. No one does the paneled one.

What colour though? Too late for an lner train prewar so maroon seems the easiest option, or dirty teak paint never repainted for the paneled one.

Richard

Hi Sir

Paint the steel one blood and custard and the wooden one crimson. Lovely

• Like 1

Painting has been experimental lately.

First teak attempt

post-23520-0-25219600-1498046986_thumb.jpg

Then attempt 15

post-23520-0-80301600-1498046996_thumb.jpg

The advantage of having so many to play around with. I am pleased with the second looking like work stained teak, the first looks good if it was in a museum but still needs a little work to my eye to bring it closer to reality. Ironically one of the reasons I decided to go all the way back to pre grouping was because I did not think I could do teak painting. Matchboard stock I reckoned I could do.

Richard

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Painting has been experimental lately.

First teak attempt

attachicon.gifIMG_2938.JPG

Then attempt 15

attachicon.gifIMG_2937.JPG

The advantage of having so many to play around with. I am pleased with the second looking like work stained teak, the first looks good if it was in a museum but still needs a little work to my eye to bring it closer to reality. Ironically one of the reasons I decided to go all the way back to pre grouping was because I did not think I could do teak painting. Matchboard stock I reckoned I could do.

Richard

Hi Richard

Are those two part of my failed collection of parcels stock kits? If so I think they should be painted in BR version of the MR Crimson Lake livery not left in GNR raw wood state. :dontknow:

Hi Richard

Are those two part of my failed collection of parcels stock kits? If so I think they should be painted in BR version of the MR Crimson Lake livery not left in GNR raw wood state. :dontknow:

They did come from your collection. I think they look great in this state, there will be a fashion show of all of them once they are all done.
  • Like 2

Views and opinions

Some stock has been weathered down, is it too far?

I have both sides of the coaches in case one looks okay but the other does not.

post-23520-0-35786000-1498265195_thumb.jpg

post-23520-0-54215700-1498265211_thumb.jpg

post-23520-0-80688100-1498265223_thumb.jpg

post-23520-0-98285200-1498265235_thumb.jpg

post-23520-0-08771700-1498265248_thumb.jpg

I am thinking of leaving the quadart as clean for variation but time will tell.

Richard

• Like 5

Okay, I seem to be able to do fresh teak straight out of the works, and dirty almost on last legs look, but how to do the in between, work stained but clean?

Richard

Less weathering! Make the wash either a lighter brown or more dilute and be more thorough in wiping it off.

Jim

So taking jim's advice. Used brown wash on this, but did not clean it off as I think it gives a nice look before doing anything to it.

post-23520-0-80062800-1498395039_thumb.jpg

For comparison next to the untreated quadart

post-23520-0-68392600-1498395052_thumb.jpg

I quite like it as it is for variation. However a little bit of me wants to give it the brown wash and clean it off. Unfortunately it is either one or all because the 4 carriages went around as a set. Is it just too clean? ( ignore the white pained underframe, it has not been through the paint shop just yet.

• Like 3

Also done is the Thompson brake, if it were are it would be considered an impressionist painting rather than hyper realism. Other than bogies it is built, which to me was important to achieve.

post-23520-0-87612600-1498395404_thumb.jpg

post-23520-0-84999300-1498395417_thumb.jpg

Transfers to come.

It has been fun having a go at an older kit. Simple but effective. More of a very helpful scratch aid. Personally I really liked the sides and roof combined so no unsightly join there.

Richard

• Like 2

I read in my Ffestiniog Society magazine that one reason that railway gave up on teak finishes for coaches was that they couldn't get two coaches to look alike,

I thought that was the whole idea! At least it is from a modelling point of view. As an aside, if the Ffestiniog Railway, who are noted for the quality of their finishes, could not get two coaches to exactly the same shade, it's a fair bet that the Great Central and LNER couldn't either. 

Edited by Poggy1165
  • Like 1

This is true, but as a modeller it is so much easier spray painting a flat colour rather than this layered approach, though I have enjoyed the process.............when it has worked. Photos not available of the reprinting required when an experiment failed.

Richard

• Like 1

The GWR batch was quicker to tart up.

post-23520-0-52973400-1498871156_thumb.jpg

Just going to transfer up and weather and let the natural plastic colour do for the base colour. It looks a reasonable match.

In the paint shop are the LMS CCT s but I have to admit the maroon / crimson lake is really very see through and it I taking a vast number of layers to cover the base colour which was too plastically looking.

Richard

• Like 4

The quad art gets as far as transfers stage.

attachicon.gifIMG_2968.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2967.JPG

Also have painted door handles and hinges and retrospectively done that to the others too.

What order to tackle the other companies.

Richard that quad art is looking very nice. I have one mostly under construction. I have changed the underframe to MJT queen post trusses.along with ratio seating(no idea where the original Kirk went!) the ventilators are Mjt. I am looking to have it completed when the new N7 appears from Oxford. One issue which I found was the bogie/ pivot locations is define the radius it will travel around as your is mostly straight (long term reader) it will be all ok. Mine is required to traverse a 18" radius so I had to push the centres out!

• Like 1

Richard that quad art is looking very nice. I have one mostly under construction. I have changed the underframe to MJT queen post trusses.along with ratio seating(no idea where the original Kirk went!) the ventilators are Mjt. I am looking to have it completed when the new N7 appears from Oxford. One issue which I found was the bogie/ pivot locations is define the radius it will travel around as your is mostly straight (long term reader) it will be all ok. Mine is required to traverse a 18" radius so I had to push the centres out!

I may have to do that too once the layout goes into the round, but I want to keep minimum radius to 2'6" . I will let you into a little secret.....I have not fitted the seating. I find that on narrow compartment stock once the glazing is in it is near nigh impossible to see. But don't tell anyone and we will get away with it.

"A long term reader" thank you, I hope my ramblings are not too dull.

Richard

The Lms CCT with 5 layers of paint on. They feel a good scale 6" wider now.

post-23520-0-07353100-1498999005_thumb.jpg

Why does crimson cover so badly?

Just the roof and chassis to tart up on each. Now I know my roof paint covers in one application so this should be quick.

Richard

• Like 2