Dettingen GCR might have been layout

I will be puzzling through the parts which go to make it up. I too have a top half of a Ks B2 but I also have my sights set on a B8 as well which would come from that source too.

I would recommend looking for a copy of the SLS book Robinson: The Harmonious Blacksmith (4mm scale Charles Reddy drawings of pretty much every class Robinson designed).  It's quite useful for offering up various bits and pieces to see what would suit another class. 

Not having a spare B2 to hand (I wouldn't dream of cutting one up for bits!- they're just about my favourite GC 4-6-0), I had given up, for the moment, any idea of building a Glenalmond.  I say I had, but I found a BEC Director body (the chassis had gone under another engine, and the tender had been passed off to another project), and idly offered it up to the drawing.  Oops.  Now I'm considering precisely where to make the cuts and looking for infill material..... because I think it might be possible to stretch a Director into a Glenalmond. 

• Like 2

any suggestions on where to source a cab for a 4mm scale Valour model?

A GBL d11 or I am salvaging one from a d11 kit which comes with both types to build a d10 or d11 so any b3 should be possible.

It is a starting point. Or cut one from scratch. It is a set of rectangles to cut for Valour. The curve at the back for lord faringdon might be a little harder, but that is what I did to convert a GBL d11 to a d10.

Richard

• Like 1

I would recommend looking for a copy of the SLS book Robinson: The Harmonious Blacksmith (4mm scale Charles Reddy drawings of pretty much every class Robinson designed).  It's quite useful for offering up various bits and pieces to see what would suit another class. 

Not having a spare B2 to hand (I wouldn't dream of cutting one up for bits!- they're just about my favourite GC 4-6-0), I had given up, for the moment, any idea of building a Glenalmond.  I say I had, but I found a BEC Director body (the chassis had gone under another engine, and the tender had been passed off to another project), and idly offered it up to the drawing.  Oops.  Now I'm considering precisely where to make the cuts and looking for infill material..... because I think it might be possible to stretch a Director into a Glenalmond.

With ease..... cut and shut bits from the GBL director. Why did I not buy more when they came out?

Work is very busy. I have to be there but have time. So i have done these because taking in modelling is much more difficult. Normal service will resume in a week.

post-23520-0-75733400-1495808773_thumb.jpg

post-23520-0-07294800-1495808792_thumb.jpg

Not as happy with them as the B3 maybe the background photo gave less feedback about colour change to the programme.

Richard

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Work is very busy. I have to be there but have time. So i have done these because taking in modelling is much more difficult. Normal service will resume in a week.

attachicon.gifAtlantic c5 2rm.jpg

attachicon.gifAtlantic1rm.jpg

Not as happy with them as the B3 maybe the background photo gave less feedback about colour change to the programme.

Richard

The top one has the feel of an F Moore painting - he was I think basically overpainting photos too - so you've certainly captured period flavour for me!

(Is that a Midland signalbox just above the buffer beam? Gorton was alongside Belle Vue shed I think.)

The photo of #1090 must be a rarity.  She was rebuilt with three cylinders and Walschaerts valvegear in 1908 and remained that way until 1922.  Very nice work!- and also demonstrating my comment about the red lining not really being overly noticeable. 

The top one has the feel of an F Moore painting - he was I think basically overpainting photos too - so you've certainly captured period flavour for me!

(Is that a Midland signalbox just above the buffer beam? Gorton was alongside Belle Vue shed I think.)

Interesting. However, Belle Vue Engine Shed signal box was, I think, on the western, Manchester side of the line, that is facing towards Gorton. Moreover I doubt whether it was visible from Gorton shed, and if IIRC it was of GC design. The bit of railway in question was Great Central and Midland Joint and the boxes and signalling were GC style as far as Reddish Vale Junction (exclusive) after which they were Midland style.

I am relying largely on memory here as all the interesting artefacts are long gone and it's now just boring old colour lights.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting. However, Belle Vue Engine Shed signal box was, I think, on the western, Manchester side of the line, that is facing towards Gorton. Moreover I doubt whether it was visible from Gorton shed, and if IIRC it was of GC design. The bit of railway in question was Great Central and Midland Joint and the boxes and signalling were GC style as far as Reddish Vale Junction (exclusive) after which they were Midland style.

I am relying largely on memory here as all the interesting artefacts are long gone and it's now just boring old colour lights.

Where, then, did Gorton photograph its new engines? 

I am not 100% sure this is an "official" photograph. GC "official" photographs are usually side-on, with the engine in photographic grey.

As to location, I would expect GC official photos of new engines to usually be taken at Gorton, but my remarks were based on my knowledge of the local topography of the site. I grew up within easy walking distance of Gorton Shed and indeed what was then the disused Belle Vue Shed. 

I have dug out J G Robinson A Lifetime's Work by David Jackson. On p. 34 is a most useful section from a 1906 OS Map showing this very area. It has good news and bad news for our theories:

1. In 1906 the Midland Engine Shed SB was indeed on the eastern side of the GC&M. It may well have been a Midland box, for all I know, and the box I recall must have been a later replacement. So that bit fits.

2, To be roughly in line with that, the engine would have to be in Ashburys Sidings, not Gorton works or loco shed. Not impossible, but there should be a four track GC main line between the loco and a stretch of open land between the main line and the GC&M, to say nothing of the throat of the Belle Vue engine shed itself, which ran behind the box. There doesn't seem to be sufficient space for even half of this.

3. There is some kind of building directly between the potential site of the photo and the signal box. What this building is is unclear, but it is a long structure that would either block the view completely or at least show up.

Alternatively, this may not be based on a GC official at all. It could be one taken by one of the many amateur photographers who favoured the GC. These guys tended to be well off and most of their photos are of the southern end of the London branch. So I would suggest possible sites as Neasden and Leicester.

A Thompson parcels in brass

post-23520-0-56403400-1496434052_thumb.jpg

It was mostly there with just a little detail had to be built.

Then this.

post-23520-0-48127800-1496434173_thumb.jpg

It has been done recently by Bachman, but it was fun to go back to first principles. More here needed to be scrounged or made up. It is from an MTK kit which I have always thought was a pun on empty kit. There was not much it the box but most important bits were there. It did need more work to get doors on etc. it will have an impressionist feel when finished and run in a rake, from three feet will it be noticed?

Richard

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

A Thompson parcels in brass

attachicon.gifIMG_2872.JPG

It was mostly there with just a little detail had to be built.

Then this.

attachicon.gifIMG_2875.JPG

It has been done recently by Bachman, but it was fun to go back to first principles. More here needed to be scrounged or made up. It is from an MTK kit which I have always thought was a pun on empty kit. There was not much it the box but most important bits were there. It did need more work to get doors on etc. it will have an impressionist feel when finished and run in a rake, from three feet will it be noticed?

Richard

Howdy Mr I 

Wow, I always wondered what they would look like had I got round to building them.

They are not quite finished spider.

patience my boy.

I do have a queston as one looks to be LSWR origin in this set, so what colour were they painted in LSWR days? Brown or Brown and salmon?

Could it be a pointless question because parcel stock did not leave its railway of origin and so would not end up on the GCR pre grouping?

Help / advice please

Richard

• Like 1

Not sure about the livery, but complete LSWR trains ran over the GC (with a GC loco) so if a luggage/parcels van was needed, why not? The only snag is you will need a train of LSWR coaches to go with it. (I am working on the assumption that your station is somewhere north of Banbury.) Well, it would certainly add an interesting splash of colour.

• Like 2

And now i have another set of stock t fit in the fiddle yard/ build to go alongside the GWR train that made it up the GCR.

You are right on location. I have not completely pinned it down but the layout is set somewhere between just north of nottingham to just before woodfood halse. I should probiblly be more precise but then i would need to think more about the trains i could run.

• Like 3

I found that you can get per rail from the university of Michigan through amazon, it has all the content, but not he price of an original, nor the fear of damaging it.

post-23520-0-94772400-1496592468_thumb.jpg

I wonder which other long out of print railway books they might have? Thought this would be of interest to others.

Richard

• Like 3

Latest Forward says it is online somewhere. This is better.

I have an original with maps, it cost me not far short of £100! But they say: No one's interested in the Great Central!

Edited by Poggy1165

I found that you can get per rail from the university of Michigan through amazon, it has all the content, but not he price of an original, nor the fear of damaging it.

attachicon.gifIMG_2878.JPG

I wonder which other long out of print railway books they might have? Thought this would be of interest to others.

Richard

Damn damn damn damn damn!  I bought an original copy just before Christmas.  I forget how much it cost me, exactly, it wasn't hugely expensive but it wasn't exactly cheap either.  I think there are only a very few original copies still around, I can't imagine it was on the 1913 best sellers list to begin with.