Dettingen GCR might have been layout

Pushing on with the casting.

post-23520-0-52360900-1502912721_thumb.jpg

One of the LMS CCT came only as a body. So made the roof, scratched up an underframe. And am now casting from green stuff the more complicated shapes of he springs etc.

The spruce off cut I the roof was put in to give me something to hold whilst painting it.

The first casting of the Gresley bogie is lucking in shot, why do I feel it is going to be spot the bogie side frame in all my pictures from now on.

Thanks for the advice on lead casting. I will look in to it.

Richard

• Like 4

And in terrifying close up!

post-23520-0-42406300-1503020302_thumb.jpg

However, considering it was only the sides and ends and the rest has been scratched together. Now a complete cct. Sides and ends ironically are the easiest part as they are flat sides. So more push to scratch build more stock.

Richard

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Glazing a plenty

post-23520-0-49951200-1504209781_thumb.jpg

post-23520-0-61204500-1504209798_thumb.jpg

post-23520-0-78209800-1504209809_thumb.jpg

That is all the non LNER stock and the LNER parcels stock. Difficult to tell as it is just clear sheet. However i needed to be done. It's also why i have restricted the number of shots. No need to see all done.

post-23520-0-98171600-1504209829_thumb.jpg

This one is different though as it was the cinema car so had the back of its glazing painted black including on the door, i was in two minds just use black plastic or glaze and not paint, but went for it and did it properly. Like a lot of things it is hard to tell but it's knowing it is there.

Richard

• Like 4

Finally one you can tell has been glazed.

post-23520-0-76147400-1504271792_thumb.jpg

If only because the loo window has a white backing to it.

It is the only one.

Do i glue the rooves down next or delay finishing the models further by fitting passengers? How many in a had art though as it was on an excursion so d i really have enough figures to fit?

Richard

• Like 4

Very late finding this thread, excellent modelling skills and a patience that maybe I lack demonstrated, it also illustrates the amount of work required in searching though the annuls to garner information to add to the reality. I thought I could just make a sort of facsimile and add a load of off the shelf stuff and I'd be happy, that is clearly changing as I go along. I am both motivated and perhaps a bit daunted in equal measure, but my bit of the GC will come along slowly. Thanks for the comment too Richard

I haven't seen any reference to it on GC metals, indeed it's visual cousins were very thin on the ground too, I know of Silver Link once and I saw Mallard being towed down to London to the museum, other than that Eastern Region exotica seems to have been absent.

I haven't seen any reference to it on GC metals, indeed it's visual cousins were very thin on the ground too, I know of Silver Link once and I saw Mallard being towed down to London to the museum, other than that Eastern Region exotica seems to have been absent.

One can but ask. If not then rule one will have to apply when I finally get around to building it.

• RMweb Gold

Richard,

Looking good, and I envy your work rate.

I do not glue the roofs down, I usually glue a piece of plasticard near the end so it makes a friction fit.  This way you can get to the glazing if it falls out and fit passengers at your leisure.

Richard,

Looking good, and I envy your work rate.

I do not glue the roofs down, I usually glue a piece of plasticard near the end so it makes a friction fit.  This way you can get to the glazing if it falls out and fit passengers at your leisure.

Just a dab of glue at either end so it is easy to pry of if needed . Gone are the days of going around and making sure The Who side is glued down.

Richard

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have been diverted into experimenting with weathering using time expired make up which would otherwise be thrown out by the other half.

post-23520-0-77059300-1507253502_thumb.jpg

They can be brushed on and then scrubbed back with a cotton bud, also got from her.

It certainly has potential, especially as I only get to one exhibition a year due to where I live.

Richard

• Like 3

Stuff in from shapeways. Happy with the resolution. Some small finials which will look great fitted to my lamp hut. So it will fit for any year after 1898 which it seems would be better than only fitting one year.

post-23520-0-50536600-1507679275_thumb.jpg

Also bogies for a siphon. The vents for the cinema coach too.

post-23520-0-71932600-1507679436_thumb.jpg

In time the weathering has finished. The roof work has had mixed results for the different levels of use since the last overhaul.

post-23520-0-32072800-1507679694_thumb.jpg

post-23520-0-20651900-1507679723_thumb.jpg

Richard

• Like 8

Still not happy with that roof.

However, the vents arrived for the cinema coach.

post-23520-0-41140500-1508238506_thumb.jpg

Couplings also made up for some of the stock. The rest need the a long thin support for the hook. Not an interesting picture though.

Also 3D printed are the bogies for this.

post-23520-0-57609800-1508238563_thumb.jpg

One mounted using the original system and one using a rather agricultural method

post-23520-0-66499200-1508238572_thumb.jpg

Needs wheels and it joins the stock. On opening up it looks like it was originally rail blue. I had wondered why there was no lettering on it.

Richard

• Like 4

Yes you even painted your name on the bottom like buzz lightyear in toy story.

When i looked closely i did see faint brush strokes.

Still in two minds on the colour, may back date it but as it is it does not get to pregrouping so might fi the outside planks.....or get another which has that fitted already.

Depends which train needs more stock to be a decent length.

Richard

Wheels arrived.

Time to get the rest of the fleet on to its feet.

The siphon

post-23520-0-12314600-1508377325_thumb.jpg

Then the twin.

post-23520-0-88381300-1508377382_thumb.jpg

The bogie looks flat in the light. It really has detail...honest.

Just three more to solder up bogies for.

Then on to some real pre grouping stuff.

Richard

• Like 4

It is the small things that matter . I have to say that ...I have a welsh mother.

3D printed finials now fitted to the lamp hut.

post-23520-0-02104100-1508499178_thumb.jpg

post-23520-0-81649500-1508499187_thumb.jpg

Now it is accurate for more than just 1898.

Will most even notice them? Are they slightly too long? I am not fussed, to me it looks better with them, even if they are a little long, than without them.

I do add to the railway from time to time, here is the proof. Was that the sum total for the year? Maybe, I might build the name boards too.

Richard

• Like 5

Colours are not what they seem. This tamiya red looks almost maroon on the can, but is the metallic one near it. The other is hand painted, but too dark I will re spray it in apple red and see if that is any more realistic for a red roof board.

post-23520-0-84737400-1508618219_thumb.jpg

(Un)fortunately the bell effect is happening again and what was going to be a coach to experiment on is slowly being updated to improve bits which are not quite right.

Richard

Some pre grouping modeling at last.

post-23520-0-61913400-1509053283_thumb.jpg

The chimney and dome 3D printed for the 12am I am going to build once the coaches are finished. I am building the last six bogies now. They are fighting me all the way. I must ask comet why when I get to Warley this year, if they are there. (Part of wizard aren't they?)

The one with green has filler as it was printed in the wrong plane and so one side collapsed so I had to rebuild it. Can't complain it is letting the students learn from their mistakes and I get the product , if it work or not.

Now what else can I convince a student to draw for me?

Richard

• Like 4

The start of fitting comet bogies to a Kirk coach kit.

The cutting away of material is required.

post-23520-0-89954100-1509102674_thumb.jpg

To achieve this.

post-23520-0-81731600-1509102694_thumb.jpg

If a friend wants to take bogies from a Kirk kit to make a brake tender. Refuse, offer to build him a set from the ga drawings, including microscopic grease. The side frames in pure gold and that they will be assembled by the arch angel Gabriel himself.

The sharp sighted amongst you will also have noticed that in the fight to cut away material the dynamo pinged of into another universe and the roof gave up. Still it proved my glue method can come off if needed, which was the point in case glazing became detached.

One half done, another five to go.

Richard

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The start of fitting comet bogies to a Kirk coach kit.

The cutting away of material is required.

attachicon.gifIMG_3569.JPG

To achieve this.

attachicon.gifIMG_3568.JPG

If a friend wants to take bogies from a Kirk kit to make a brake tender. Refuse, offer to build him a set from the ga drawings, including microscopic grease. The side frames in pure gold and that they will be assembled by the arch angel Gabriel himself.

The sharp sighted amongst you will also have noticed that in the fight to cut away material the dynamo pinged of into another universe and the roof gave up. Still it proved my glue method can come off if needed, which was the point in case glazing became detached.

One half done, another five to go.

Richard

OK I'll have them when you pop over in a few weeks time.

Cheers.