Dettingen GCR might have been layout

All the brake gear.

post-23520-0-60723800-1520341133_thumb.jpg

I was going to fit it to the body, but then could not work out a way to separate the body and chassis. At last I am thinking ahead. It will now hang off the chassis or be fitted once every thing else is done, and need removing for maintenance.

But now that decision is made it can finally go into the paint shop. It needs to be today as we have another snow storm coming through tonight into tomorrow.

Richard

• Like 5

A closer look, as it just looked like strips of brass.

post-23520-0-38973100-1520341464_thumb.jpg

I would say from the spares box, but more accurately from a buffalo chassis etch, a k3 boiler etch and a V2 valve gear etch. Then white metal brakes from an lner group standard tender (if one ever existed)

Richard

• Like 2

Hunkering down for storm tomorrow. Painting started indoors whilst can have window open

Taped up rear section and cab interior so it would not get covered in paint.

post-23520-0-27126900-1520359497_thumb.jpg

Then sprayed.

post-23520-0-22503200-1520359511_thumb.jpg

The little twig is the pipe that runs along the boiler. In the end it will be black. Easier to do off the model. That's the theory anyway.

Richard

• Like 4

Paint on.

post-23520-0-56461900-1520470224_thumb.jpg

Whilst the green sprayed on was a hopeful punt. It called itself British racing green. Hoped it would be near the right colour. It will be painted over as long as I can get a decent paint finish from brush painting.

Let us see if it works.

Richard

• Like 8

Painting and lining is taking a while.

Have to plan the order so things are still accessible to paint/ line. Thank heavens for pens which help lining.

post-23520-0-39076000-1520957407_thumb.jpg

post-23520-0-42746700-1520957455_thumb.jpg

post-23520-0-73295800-1520957465_thumb.jpg

post-23520-0-45469400-1520957476_thumb.jpg

Top half getting there, lining with transfers will wait until handling is less so they do not lift off.

End date for finishing? Who knows how long the brake gear will take.

Richard

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

How Denny was able to build an engine in a week I have no idea. Started in November and it won't be finished this month.

post-23520-0-57919700-1521652226_thumb.jpg

post-23520-0-49143500-1521652238_thumb.jpg

Difficult to tell what has been added? It whistle, the brass window surrounds, a roof repaint, safety valves, buffers.

I will move to the chassis when only transfers are needed on the body. How long before that switch is made?

Six months rather than six days.

Richard

• Like 4

Years and years ago Norman Wisenden had two or three of these built by someone in 00. At the time I was going through one of my then-regular disenchantment phases with model railways and declined the offer to buy one. I often wonder where they ended up, as they were nicely done. 

My repeated searches for the listing of such a loco on eBay last night failed to find the specific entry relating to the item. No matter how clearly the loco was listed in the brief description of each of the search results, my attempts to follow the relevant link to eBay simply led me to a massive multi-page list of barely-related sale items far too long for me to wade through! I presume this is due to some stupid piece of eBay software designed to force "shoppers" to look at loads of things that they don't want to buy, as well as the item they would like to see - the same irritating tactic that supermarkets use with their chaotic arrangement of products and constant re-shuffles. Well it doesn't work with people like me - I just walk away.

Do you have a direct link at all please?

• RMweb Gold

My repeated searches for the listing of such a loco on eBay last night failed to find the specific entry relating to the item. No matter how clearly the loco was listed in the brief description of each of the search results, my attempts to follow the relevant link to eBay simply led me to a massive multi-page list of barely-related sale items far too long for me to wade through! I presume this is due to some stupid piece of eBay software designed to force "shoppers" to look at loads of things that they don't want to buy, as well as the item they would like to see - the same irritating tactic that supermarkets use with their chaotic arrangement of products and constant re-shuffles. Well it doesn't work with people like me - I just walk away.

Do you have a direct link at all please?

Hi,

The link is here but it has ended.  It is not cheap!

• Like 1

How much?!?

Incidentally I had much the same problem finding it as did GR King.  My searches on Ebay generally run to "GCR", "Great Central", " LNER GC" and "LNER" and this time I also added additional searches of "Sacre", "2-4-0" "GCR 2-4-0" and iterations of same, all of which brought up.... nothing. 

I should perhaps not give away my search requests ........but I go with gcr kit great central kit, (assuming most gcr models have to be kit.) then the same but substitute model for kit. It won't catch all but it hopefully gives me a chance to see most of the things offered.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

The link is here but it has ended. It is not cheap!

For the quality of the looks alone, £225 is a very reasonable price.

At adult minimum wage, that equates to 22 ½ hours work - excluding the cost of materials, which whilst only wheels, motor and gears and pieces of metal would still take a good chunk out of that lot,say £50. So, 17 ½ hours, or half a standard working week.

If anyone here can produce something that runs well, and is made, painted and lined to that standard, in half a week at the minimum adult wage, then please step forward as I can give you loads of business.

Edit: I am not saying it is cheap - that is a term relative to your disposable income. Just that the price is reasonable.

Edited by Regularity
  • Like 1

Much obliged for the specific link. As luck has it, I only wanted to window-shop anyway.

Agreed - not expensive compared to commission build, assuming the buyer specifically craves just such a loco. For a more casual buyer it's not such a bargain. As it was being purveyed by the same seller as a certain not-at-all cheap LNER tourist set, the price is no surprise. Still in all probability less costly than buying from the "goose turd". Those familiar with eBay profiteers will probably know the real name to which I allude.....

I agree, I too had looked at some of the coaches. They are not a bargain, but for what they are it is probably less than commissioning it from a professional builder yourself. Alas the money would go to a middle man and not pay back a builder for their craftsmanship.

When I pop my clogs I doubt mine will fetch that price but I am sure my wife or kids will find a way to spend the money on something they would prefer to have around the house.

A slight distraction.

Playing around with 3d printing of a fish truck drawn by bedders.

Different heat for the bed and plastic plus different sized nozzles.

First go was clearly going wrong

post-23520-0-97058100-1522025208_thumb.jpg

The ultimaker on 0.6 nozzle gave a decent top, but the bottom is a bit poor.

post-23520-0-44039100-1522025218_thumb.jpg

post-23520-0-06370400-1522025229_thumb.jpg

Then the maker bot on 0.2 nozzle.

It seems to have created supports on its own accord

post-23520-0-69783600-1522025249_thumb.jpg

post-23520-0-99551100-1522025267_thumb.jpg

Once cleaned up and the underframe extracted it looks to be a better go.

Still need to try ultimaker3 on 0.2 nozzle.

Even if only the bodies worked these would be great.

Richard

• Like 1

Oh the perils of giving a file to someone who works several orders of magnitude faster than you!

Good to see some pictures :) I finally got round to having a look at my Shapeways print of the same file at the weekend. Quick summary: Body came out very well, internal sprues with buffers/vac hose and coupling hook seems ok.  Solebar printed well and the brake lever is a highlight.  On the downside, printing the roof in 2 halves hasn't worked well, with wax being trapped between them and the alignment not being all that.  The brakegear was too flimsy, with 3 shoes coming away when the sprue was detached.  Pictures to follow.  The concept behind the design was to make it as cheap as possible on Shapeways by reducing the footprint, height and supports.  I think I've gone too far, but as an exercise in finding the limits whilst still giving me a workable object, it's been a success.

• Like 1

The roof worked well on the makerbot a small gap between them. On positive printing there is no wax to get caught. Turning the buffers so they print the other way would negate the need for supports in positive printing.

We will look at slicing it to give a flat pack kit to see if it reduces cost potential further. Will resend altered file if/when get round to trying it.

Thanks

Richard

• Like 1

Clean up has been done.

The winner is with supports. Might have a few more attachment points to clean up and that takes a couple of hours, but as you can see on the clear one, it drooped without them .

Some finer detail made it, however might need to up the density of print to 100% to get some to fill in. That will be a 5 hour print in 4mm. Looks like an overnight job.

post-23520-0-35281600-1522111201_thumb.jpg

post-23520-0-11663400-1522111215_thumb.jpg

I can replace the parts as I have some white metal gcr buffers and some brakegear etches. If density increase does not improve small pieces then reorientation or thickening up might need to be considered.

This is a great little wagon, with loads of detail on it.

Richard

• Like 3