Black Friday Sale

Nobby (John)

Oh dear, are we becoming another American State? Black Friday is a sale the day after Thanksgiving Day when stores try to get their sales "in the black". Of course now black Friday has extended in both directions in this "haliday" season which is all grab grab and has apparently crossed the Atlantic now.

Anyway, grumbling aside there seem to be some good bargains especially for those engaged in landscaping, it would appear that maybe ex LNER coaching stock is slow selling too! Certainly a lot of activity on the Hornby website recently.

Edward

Oh dear, are we becoming another American State? Black Friday is a sale the day after Thanksgiving Day when stores try to get their sales "in the black". Of course now black Friday has extended in both directions in this "haliday" season which is all grab grab and has apparently crossed the Atlantic now.

Perhaps it's not the American Black Friday but a very British Black Friday.

That'll be when the online bargains include the Chairman's Thomas-the-Tank-Engine coffee mug and the CEO's desk.......

• RMweb Premium

I thought Black Friday was the last Friday before 25th Dec, when a substantial part of the working population stop work at lunchtime and go to the pub. Followed by drunk driving, drunk shopping, going on drunkenly to other pubs/clubs, shouting, fighting, domestics and generally causing the Plod a lot of bother. Perhaps that's just me....

I shall see what if anything Hornby have left at this time of the evening.

Pete

Most of the bargain are trees and flocking. Are they pulling out of that market?

Yes, I think so.  The way they're going they'll soon have no flocking market at all...................................

Lots of people on RM Web seem to have bottomless pockets when it comes to ever more expensive new models, such as a single GWR railmotor for a mere £159.99. I also know it is verboten to criticise prices, at least according to some members. So come on, why not pony up and support your local model shop if you have one? I'm sure the Widnes Model Centre would be more appreciative of your custom than Hornby.

I thought Black Friday was the last Friday before 25th Dec, when a substantial part of the working population stop work at lunchtime and go to the pub. Followed by drunk driving, drunk shopping, going on drunkenly to other pubs/clubs, shouting, fighting, domestics and generally causing the Plod a lot of bother. Perhaps that's just me....

I was curious to see "Black Friday" in a British shopping context.

It has a very specific meaning in the US being (along with various falls in the stock market starting with 1929) the day after Thanksgiving which occurs this week.

According to wikipedia it can also mean:

Still looks OK to me.  (Which is ironic since I'm not buying anything.)

Me neither.

It spent 10 minutes showing me the "We will be back with you shortly" screen and started working again just after I posted, to tempt me with Paviland Grange but I resisted; I don't need another Sentinel and there's nothing else of interest.  *sigh*

Guest Belgian

"We will be back with you shortly" says their website. What ARE they good at, at present?

Beats me . . . unless you include 'pissing off your customers'

JE

I was curious to see "Black Friday" in a British shopping context.

It has a very specific meaning in the US being (along with various falls in the stock market starting with 1929) the day after Thanksgiving which occurs this week.

According to wikipedia it can also mean:

Which is even more mysterious, considering that today is Tuesday.

Interesting that Hornby America doesn't have a Black Friday sale - perhaps reserved for Friday.......?

I suspect that they sell very little directly to end consumers. Most of their customers are the RC hobby shops that stock Scalextric and the model railroad shops that want the trickle of Rivarossi items.

Archived