• 2 weeks later...

Received today :-

"Here's the revised test etch of the GT3 chassis, awaiting sign-off. All being well the kit should be on sale in 6-8 weeks.

The kit is etched in nickel silver and gives you all the essentials for building your own chassis, CAD-engineered to an extraordinarily high standard of accuracy. It now includes functional inner bogie and tender frames, as well as wheel balance weights, full brake gear and GT3’s distinctive coupling rods.

Three versions will be available –

post-2274-0-13227200-1459518510_thumb.jpg

GT3 Basic, which is the full etch seen here plus plain bearings for the loco and tender;

GT3 Special, which adds a top-of-the-range Mashima can motor and a custom-designed gearbox;

and GT3 Deluxe, which additionally includes a set of High Level hornblocks for those who wish to build their model with compensation.

All versions can be built in OO/EM/P4 and the kits include alternative frame spacers. Prices yet to be finalised, due to last-minute fluctuations in the yen . . . A full account of building the prototype chassis will be in the May issue of Hornby magazine, out in a couple of weeks".

(See previous postings for pre-ordering arrangements from High Level Models).

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 3

For those who might not be aware Markits produce a set of 4 sprung buffers (4Buf Loco Duch - £10.70 by post.) which provides the oval heads for the loco and the round for the tender on square bases. The oval heads are non-rotating. Much better in my opinion than solid buffers.

Ordered mine by phone yesterday afternoon and  arrived this morning! 

I'm delighted that this project has created such a buzz. Spurred on by this, I've now finished final artwork and it's just being checked over, then it's ready to go off to the etchers. The new fret won't really look that much like the one above as I've re-organised it to create extra space for P4 spacers and a fan grille.

There will now be four versions – GT3 Basic (£32.00), which is the full chassis etch with plain bearings for the loco and tender; GT3 Plus (£40.00) which adds a set of loco and tender hornblocks for those who wish to compensate their model; GT3 Special (£62.00) which has the chassis kit plus a big Mashima can motor with a High Level gearbox; and GT3 Deluxe (£70.00) which has motor, gearbox and hornblocks as well as the chassis. Each package works out cheaper than buying the bits separately. All versions can be built in OO/EM/P4 and include alternative frame spacers for the different scales as well as wheel balance weights, full brake gear, GT3’s distinctive coupling rods and the tender fan grille.

There'll be an update about the format of the intructions, but it's likely that they'll be based on our website which means anyone thinking of taking the plunge can view them before buying.

Cheers,

Chris Gibbon.

Edited by High Level Kits
  • Like 1

I'm delighted that this project has created such a buzz. Spurred on by this, I've now finished final artwork and it's just being checked over, then it's ready to go off to the etchers. The new fret won't really look that much like the one above as I've re-organised it to create extra space for P4 spacers and a fan grille.

There will now be four versions – GT3 Basic (£32.00), which is the full chassis etch with plain bearings for the loco and tender; GT3 Plus (£40.00) which adds a set of loco and tender hornblocks for those who wish to compensate their model; ....

No particular reason but I'd like to see one posed next to a bottle of (Castrol) GTX....

• 2 weeks later...

Crank bearing covers or 'Hubcaps' as per Tim's article part 2 now available on backorder at Modelu's website. £4 for 7 plus £2 p&p.

Dave

Ordered mine yesterday 'on back order' but got an email today to say they are on their way! So no delay really.

And the transfers from CCT also turned up today - superfast service as they were also only ordered yesterday. Very impressed.

Now just awaiting the chassis ......

• RMweb Gold

Crank bearing covers or 'Hubcaps' as per Tim's article part 2 now available on backorder at Modelu's website. £4 for 7 plus £2 p&p.

Dave

Thank you, now ordered also.

Thanks for the info re Crank bearing covers.

Does anyone know whether the Tender grille would have had a mesh, or was it really a big set of holes?

martin

Edited by martin_m

Hi all,

Seeing as I started this thread 18months ago, and thanks to the wonderful responses from so may everyone, I am well on my way to a Better GT3!! But I thought I'd reach out one more time on this topic and  ask if anyone had any ideas about... sound. This is the first experimental prototype loco I seriously have considered adding DCC sound to, because it is such an interesting and unique beast. There have been some wondeful sims released, featuring the GT3 in various modes, from start up sequences to running, and I was wondering where those sounds came from...

Over to you!!

I've just e mailed GT3 customers to say that the kits are almost ready for packing/delivery.

If you're on the mailing list but, for some reason, didn't get the mail, then please ring 0191 3882112 to sort out which version you want. I've reserved one for each person on the list but if anyone decides to bail out then that absolutely fine, but please let me know so I can allocate the etch to someone else.

Thanks,

Chris.

Just a few questions for the individual developers of building a better GT3.

I have purchased Ian's excellent etches and just ordered the crank bearing covers as sugested by Dave. I will put an order in for the Golden Arrow Resin GT3 and the buffers from Markits as sugested by Lanyor.

The first and second question is for John Isherwood - I want to purchase your transfers for the GT3 but can you tell me if they can be applied directly on the painted tender or will i need to locate and cutout some white transfers first. Are the transfers the usual waterslide type.

The third question is for Chris - I tried to order the chassis with gears but could not find a way on your website but others have somehow managed to place orders.

The last question is what wheels do I need to purchase (I am aiming for accuracy) and from where and the rest of the details like the handrail grabs, cab details, sound project etc etc

Just a few questions for the individual developers of building a better GT3.

I have purchased Ian's excellent etches and just ordered the crank bearing covers as sugested by Dave. I will put an order in for the Golden Arrow Resin GT3 and the buffers from Markits as sugested by Lanyor.

The first and second question is for John Isherwood - I want to purchase your transfers for the GT3 but can you tell me if they can be applied directly on the painted tender or will i need to locate and cutout some white transfers first. Are the transfers the usual waterslide type.

The third question is for Chris - I tried to order the chassis with gears but could not find a way on your website but others have somehow managed to place orders.

The last question is what wheels do I need to purchase (I am aiming for accuracy) and from where and the rest of the details like the handrail grabs, cab details, sound project etc etc

Firstly, several people seem to be ordering the crank bearing covers separately - the chassis kits from High Level include the crank bearing covers.

My transfer set for GT3 is of the normal waterslide type, and does not require separate white backings.

Wheels and the detail fittings are available from a number of suppliers - Google will help there - but cab details, beyond the basic fittings included with the Golden Arrow kit, together with a sound project for this unique locomotive, are not available to the best of my knowledge.

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

Hello Abadacus Zokonta,

To order, customers have been contacting me via e mail, or phone, and I've been keeping the mails is a folder for the GT3. The contact details with phone number are on the High Level Website so the procedure would be to use the same method as you would for ordering any other product from us.

The idea/request for the GT3 chassis was not mine, so I've only really been involved in designing the etches, according to a customer's brief, so I'm uncertain where to get all the bits from. I was working on the assumption that we would be including the 'hubcaps', but most of the customer's seem to have these and, as they are the only part holding up sending out the kits, I'm inclined to send the kits out without them and will forward them on to anyone who gets back to me and says they don't have them.

The first batch has now all been accounted for, reservations-wise, but some of these customers haven't got back to me yet to confirm. I'll give it a month or so, and then will make any remaining kits available to anyone else who wants one. If everyone who said they wanted one actually comes forward, then additional customers will have a short wait until I can order a second batch.

Chris.

Thanks John, I did not know the caps where included with the chassis. I think I know what to do for the sound project and I have located some handrails from my spares box but have no idea what type of wheels to purchase, the variety is bewildering.

Hi Chris I would like to put an order in for the GT3 Special as quoted in post 83, would the price be £62+2.50, could I send you a cheque along with the details as mentioned on your website.

My chassis kit arrived safely this morning via Postman Pat so if you've ordered one then expect yours imminently.

Me too - I just have twelve coaches to line and letter, and then I'll be doing a build blog of GT3.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1