expoEM 2010 bracknell 15-16 May 2010

Gee Vee

Pixie: thanks for your intelligence on the supply of ale, which I shall try to remember for next year.

I'm determined to make expoEM one year when it's at Bracknell, so far exams have got in the way for the past three years and I've got a feeling that I'm going to be trapsing around Asia for 2011. I should be there for 2012 though with my train set (Did you get my email about that GV? No rush - I'm sure you've been busy of late!)

I forgot to mention The Boot as an option for evening entertainment. It's about a 5 minute walk from The Manor and was certainly a decent place to bunk off classes spend an evening when I was at college. I'll try to remember to post my pub ramblings in about 50 weeks time!

Pix

Guest Natalie Graham

As seen in a corner of the show.

I love it.

That is one loco I have always intended to build at some time and I think this is the first time I have ever seen one modelled. Sacré's locos for the MS&LR are some of my all-time favourites.

• RMweb Gold

Apologies to the owner of this shunting plank as I cannot find his name nor the name of the layout. Thanks to josh993 I now know this as Saxlingham by Dave Tailby. I've included it because it was characterised by smooth running.

post-5402-127395492301_thumb.jpg

Had to forward that to Dave, got to be the first positive comment on Saxlingham's running that has ever been published! :P

As seen in a corner of the show.

post-7177-127411867008_thumb.jpg

Was that the small section of the late Peter Denny's Buckingham layout? I noticed there was a mention of the possibility of it going to Pendon. That would be wonderful if that could happen and the layout put back into operation. Something I would certainly like to see....

It is a small diorama of Peter Denny's.

The layout is stored at Pendon, awaiting an offer of a new home. I believe it is not available for viewing.

• RMweb Premium

That is indeed the Sacre 2-4-0 built be the late Rev Peter Denny. I had the pleasure of being able to do a bit of work on it for him a short while before he died, as one of the outside cranks had come loose. I also had the pleasure of meeting Stephen Denny (one of Peter's sons) and his wife at EXPO EM. What lovely people. Talks are still going on to find a suitable home for Buckingham but there are various options under consideration and several people and groups are very keen to see it saved. I don't think anybody has any cause to worry about it going the way of so many other historic layouts.

The last two photos show my purple shirt lurking behing Sutton Dock (see the 2010 layout challenge thread for more details!).

• RMweb Premium

It is a small diorama of Peter Denny's.

The layout is stored at Pendon, awaiting an offer of a new home. I believe it is not available for viewing.

Just a slight correction to that posting. The diorama was brought by the people from Pendon but Buckingham is not stored there. It is still in the railway room in The late Peter Denny's house. It was photographed there for the tributes in RM and BRM a couple of issues ago.

Excellent show. Judging by the accents, if expo-EM could be co-ordinated with the the Rugby league Cup Final the north of England would be empty over that weekend.

I thought the trade balance was really good and RTR-sellers have their place (what do you attach your Brassmasters detailing pack to, otherwise), it was nice to see it going to one that doesn't feature much at other shows.

Penlan is superb, Stainmoor was very interesting (and smooth) operationally and I liked New Hey, 'cos it's Rochdale (promoted this year - wha hey!).

I went on Sunday and spent the afternoon without too much of a crush anywhere. the venue is easy to find and usefully on the main road away from Bracknell itself. I will be back next year.

I understand why demo stands can be unoccupied for periods, but a couple of traders missed impulse buys from me because they were having a chat (one that didn't appear to be leading towards an alternative sale).

...... It is still in the railway room in The late Peter Denny's house. It was photographed there for the tributes in RM and BRM a couple of issues ago.

I was under that impression too, they need it to be taken over soon as the house is being sold - or the church want it back, not sure which of those is correct, I heard both versions over the weekend, but didn't get to meet Peter's son who was there.

I understand there has only been one offer of a home for the layout, but the family felt it was so the group could break the layout up into smaller sections, the family would hope this didn't happen.

The layout is offered to a 17' x 10' home and to be retained as a complete layout with all the stock and locos. (E.& O.E.).

The price is attractive, but if your seriously interested then contact the estate very soon, otherwise I understand it's fate is fatal due to the needs of the property seller etc.,

My interest is as one of the occasional operating crew with Mike Kippax.

Archived