N Gauge Minories

bigdaveadams1

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone ever seen or built an N gauge replica of the OO Minories? I'm struggling to find anything on the web or on here to suggest that it's been done. Although this might be more to do with my Internet skills than any lack of information!

Secondly, is it a viable option for N?

I'm not an N gauge modeller, but I fail to see why exactly the same track plan can't be used. CJF once wrote, that many of his plans couldn't be scaled down, because they had a central operating space. The problem being the same full size operator had to fit inside, so reducing its size, wasn't an option. Up scaling wasn't an issue, because obviously if you have an operating well, the space would be more luxurious.

Minories, wouldn't have the same problem in N gauge, as it doesn't have a well. Perhaps some adjustment would be required if point sizes are different, pro rata.

It strikes me as a cunning plan with all the cunning that a cunning plan needs.....

After all the platforms can be extended if space is available. even a few inches would help...ooh err missus........

Minories in n with DMU's EMU's, Mark 1 stock........  All very nice.

Now....... all it needs is building.....

Post us the finished piccies. No rush.........  tomorrow maybe?  :thankyou:

Eric

edited to add name. Silly me.........

Here is a version of Minories I cooked up for N gauge a few years ago. Given my current rate of progress, I doubt I will ever get around to it so it is free for public consumption. ;) I have replaced a couplf points with slips to add some kickback sidings for various uses.

I expanded it slightly to 4'6" x 1' and added a few bits for extra operation interest. Like CJF's Mk2 version, there is scope for a good shed on the "south" side of the layout. This could be a single road shed or a 2-road transfer shed as CJF envisaged. The other thing I have added is a milk bottling plant on a kickback siding from the goods area. This is a good source of operational interest and non-passenger traffic as bottling plants were often located in city-centres near passenger stations (the IMS plant at Marylebone is a good example).

Between the dairy and the running lines are a couple of short sidings which I imagined as serving a stabling point allowing tank engines to be coaled and watered.

MyNories7_zpscc040875.gif

• RMweb Premium

I think that N gauge lends itself very well for Minories type layouts, especially using using DMU/EMU's rather than loco's & coaches, by the simple criteria that the whole plan can be fitted onto one reasonably sized board, a single 4/5' x 1' being quite feasible size and weight wise, and thus saving the issue of a baseboard joint and how best to diguise/hide it, this being in my experience less easy in the smaller scale than in the larger ones.

However, I do think that one of the main advantages of CJF's original design was the use of simple pointwork to achieve the desired effect. Nothing complicated, and easy to replicate whatever the scale/gauge combination. Although single and double slips are available in N, sadly the track standards mean stock tends to bump badly through them (clever though the designs are there are almost more gaps than rail in them with some stock getting stuck in them), and personally I would avoid using them at all costs whatever the benefits may appear to be.

Izzy

• 1 month later...

All,

I had a play with AnyRail the other day and created this Minories throat using Peco Code55 curved and Y points.

post-392-0-72994500-1420475862_thumb.jpg

I liked the look of how it curves and hope it might be of some inspiration.

Angus

I may be mistaken but I think the original design was actually devised for TT

You're not mistaken. Although Cyril Freezer had clearly been playing around with that particular throat arrangement for a while he produced the published plan to coincide with the launch of Triang's TT-3 system and in that scale it was a five foot folding layout. The 00 version was six foot six inches long (i.e. 2 metres). The first TT-3 items that Triang produced were the Jinty 0-6-0T, some suburban coaches and a few wagons and those, with a bit of credibility stretching on the loco front, would have enabled Minories to be operated as a purely passenger suburban inner terminus with an intensive service using a reverse curve to bring outgoing trains back as incoming movements or, in the version with a small goods depot, with off peak goods trains as well.  I suspect the ideas were very influenced by the widened lines.

Archived