Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Ais Gill summit layout

ben pez

It might be fairer to tell me not to believe everything that ends up in my head, that's more likely the source of getting it wrong than whatever book I read!

It comes from Rails in the Fells.  So, it came from something and not just your own head :).  I got burned by it too- and I KNEW better, as I had photos to work from...

James

• RMweb Premium

Try this:

"Stations & Structures of the Settle & Carlisle Railway"

Anderson & Fox

OPC 1986

Photos of practically every structure.

Stations, Goods Sheds, Bridges etc.

Includes track diagrams as well.

It's AFAIK out of print but should be available second hand.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

Still done nothing on the layout as im working 70 hours a week a the moment,but got a new loco i couldn't resist although its not an S&C loco.

Being from teesside these were from my area.

The new Hornby Q6,just needs the airbrush pointing at it,lamps & a crew!

50196071-7A64-461C-850C-F5523EED5CC3_zps

77280338-060C-41F3-AECE-6E91A7359980_zps

Cheers

Ben

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

It might not be an S&C loco but at least you'll be able to run yours...
I'm a dedicated N Gauge modeller now... but having waited 30 years for a RTR Q6, I just had to have one .

It's a beautiful model of a classic north east engine and it's now got me thinking about small layout to run it on.... West Durham / Waskerley????

post-13274-0-84413800-1469823099.jpg

Cheers

Alan

• Like 1

Sounds like a plan alan,you cant just leave it sitting in its box!?!...

Cheers

Ben

You're right... much too nice (and expesive) to be left in the box.

I've always fancied a small, end of steam, NE layout ... Q6s, K1, WD with maybe a couple of 37s and a 24.

Alan

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Still done nothing on the layout as im working 70 hours a week a the moment,but got a new loco i couldn't resist although its not an S&C loco.

Being from teesside these were from my area.

The new Hornby Q6,just needs the airbrush pointing at it,lamps & a crew!

50196071-7A64-461C-850C-F5523EED5CC3_zps

77280338-060C-41F3-AECE-6E91A7359980_zps

Cheers

Ben

You could always take a bit of modeller's license and build the unbuilt spur from the Eden Valley line to the S&C at the east end of Appleby then they could run into Carlise from Darlington!

Keith

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Havent done anything to the layout for a while due to work & family commitments but managed a couple of hours this morning on this bare section which is about 8 foot long.

Excuse the mess!!

Soldered the last 5 remaining droppers to the bus wire underneath the boards and gave the track a spray of sleeer grime.

In the far corner im planning on having a small farm house/cottage to help break up the scenics.

BEC37FC0-C0BE-4C0D-9972-BD997B4C87DD_zps

FE8660D1-4966-4603-972F-9CAA3E37FCA1_zps

Cheers

Ben

• Like 4

A couple of years ago i bought this Hornby farm house as i thought with a bit of painting/weathering it should look very settle & carlisle,West Yorkshire/cumbria....well hopefully!

40949DE4-8489-4EB3-8832-D8B94C57FD09_zps

C9CBB3CA-4B86-4C4F-A6D1-B7DEB06D32E4_zps

Cheers

• Like 1

A couple of years ago i bought this Hornby farm house as i thought with a bit of painting/weathering it should look very settle & carlisle,West Yorkshire/cumbria....well hopefully!

Cheers

The farm house should look fine, especially if you group it together with a couple of outbuildings and a barn.

Cheers

Alan

Edited by 60091
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Managed to get a couple of hours in up in the loft today.not much progress but it is progress!

Ballasted all of this section,not very intresting i know!

Next job is to get the airbrush out & weather it all.

EF6E6DC3-4C63-48E1-95A6-CB44703C8B9A_zps

Cheers

Ben

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Ben, just remember that a lot of what we do isn't very "interesting" - but it IS essential.

Good to see further progress.

At the rate we're going we'll have several of the S&C stations "running" in the near future. Assuming that KL2 is Kirkby Stephen in disguise!

Jeff

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

40949DE4-8489-4EB3-8832-D8B94C57FD09_zps

C9CBB3CA-4B86-4C4F-A6D1-B7DEB06D32E4_zps

Cheers

Did Hornby ever do anything similar in their Lyddle End range?

Julian Sprott

• 3 months later...

Done a bit more on the layout last sunday after a few months of doing nothing to it due to work,family etc,basically not having the time.

Started to weather and grime up the ballast/track,done about 6 foot so far,only another 20 foot to go!

Cheers

Ben.

7352DFBC-3589-4D23-917E-2034BB3786F0_zps

56224D8C-3AC0-4F3A-B297-751ED2BF8612_zps

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Ben, good to see you back working on the layout. It's been far too long without your contributions on the S&C threads.

Enjoy the weathering. At least you're using an airbrush, which I ought to have bought years ago. Ballast weathering on KL2 will be via conventional brushing.

Jeff

• Like 1

The mock up of the embankment on the curve there looks interesting. :-P

Good to see some more work from you!

Ha ha! That mess & all things i need is slowly moving around the layout as it progresses!

Cheers

Ben

• Like 1

Ben, good to see you back working on the layout. It's been far too long without your contributions on the S&C threads.

Enjoy the weathering. At least you're using an airbrush, which I ought to have bought years ago. Ballast weathering on KL2 will be via conventional brushing.

Jeff

Cheers jeff,i find using the airbrush quite enjoyable & easy,its just the dismantling of it to clean it after use which bugs me! Essential as it is.

Cheers

Ben

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...