Hornby 2015 Announcements now made

Andy Y

Is there any more information on the livery for King R3330 No 6000 King George V?

The Hornby website just notes it is "GWR", but that could be in anything from Great <CoA> Western, Great <Crest> Western, Shirtbutton, or G <crest> W.

Also noticed that Hornby stated it entered service in 1928, it should be 1927.

Yes, it is as vague as usual and what I routinely anticipate from both big manufacturers.

If you look at the CADs for R3330 (No. 6000) you will see a bell and a double chimney. I presume this model will be in 'as preserved' condition paired with a Collett tender. My guess is "GREAT <arms> WESTERN" for the livery, presuming this is how it is presently preserved. Hopefully someone who has visited it recently can confirm that.

Assuming that R3331 (King James I) will appear in "GREAT <arms> WESTERN" I'll probably order one. I won't until I know the livery however.

• RMweb Premium

Am very exited about the forthcoming releases from Hornby who seen to have overcome their issues! :sungum:

At first I was going to complain about the price tag on the J50 but when I consider what I spent building a detailed example from an old Lima body and Bachmann 8750 chassis the price seems reasonable and no doubt the box shifters will be able to better that price!

I don't know about nursing my wallet, I'll need to remortgage! :O 

Please take note Hornby that not all of your customers will be able to afford 5 or 6 new LNER models next year, while GWR and LMS fans might be spending their hard earned cash elsewhere.

It's not a case of Hornby not being able to match their coaching stock to their locos more a case of still being back in the 60s/70s toy train mentality. I seriously believe they think most of their customers buy it because it's cute! No offence Hornby but their is room for improvement in the marketing policy dept. which might be costing you sales. It definitely will be in my case!  

Seasons greetings to all!!!

• RMweb Premium

It's been a long day at this end but I must apologise for a little sluggishness and even interruption in service at the peak time just after the announcements; this was down to two factors, the amount of images and information in the initial post and the number of users simultaneously accessing it. As can be seen from the figures on the Forum Index and the figures I've looked at tonight on Google Analytics show that the day was the busiest in RMweb history and it was the highest level of usage ever seen at a peak period.

I'd like to thank Nat and Ben at Hornby for working to help make sure that we had the additional information requested above what we were given last week; some of it was a bit last minute and there was quite a lot of work behind the scenes to give you the most complete run-down in one place. It's easy enough to understand and interpret this information to give it to you with a degree of logic hopefully focussing on what you really need to know.

Congratulations in order I think Andy! :sungum: :sungum:

Your extremely informative post and ensuing stampede just goes to show how successful RMweb has become!

Regards Shaun 

Why bring out the 4F as Tender drive and that price for it is a joke, as Coachman say should now be put in the railroad range.

Can not understand why they a bothering with a tender drive loco, should have buried it years ago!

On the other hand the S15 has been a long time over due, the 2p is another what looks like a tender drive loco "WHY" ? come on this loco should be loco drive by now, how long have they been banging out this model like this, and again should be in the rail road range, and asking this price for this is a little bit cheeky.

The other thing is well these price be held till they come out, or are we going to find they have gone up next year again, I hope not.

The MK1 Coach with the graffiti is weird one to do, I can understand if it was in BR blue and dumped in a siding, never know graffiti was around in the 1960's!, unless the coach is in some sort of time warp!.

Getting to the 08, well over priced on that one, when you can pick up a Bachmann one at half that price and the 31, well that speck for it's self on the price.

The only one in that line up I may get would be the S15, The Adams Radial I think I wait and see what Oxford do with there one before I commit to getting one.

All in all some good stuff among this line up.

Darren 

PS The only thing that Hornby could mess up is what happened with the Exeter model fiasco, I hope not!.

Hi Darren,

The 2P and 4F have been modified and now have loco drive chassis, which came out a couple of years back, actually 2012.  Just checked the Hornby 2012 catalogue.   They are the old bodies though and had 3 pole motors.

Overall I think there is a good spread of items.  2 Southern, 1 GWR and a LNER, (steam) and a class 71 Now postponed to 2016), plus plenty of stock. You just can not please everyone. 

I certainly would like more LNER stock, particularly NER locos, such as a J21 0-6-0, G5 0-4-4T and a push pull/autocoach set and wouldn't say not to others, but the wallet would not take to kindly. 

So only 2 locos for me, a J50 and the A4 Silver King, a Gateshead based engine, though I might go for the Quicksilver as well and then I would have the complete set of Silver A4's.  But not fussed about that.

Well done Hornby for continuing to provide for the hobby, many items which people would like.  I hope there supply issues improve, which they look like they are. 

Roll on March for Bachmann announcement.  If no J21 or G5 then its a kit build. 

Mark in OZ

So only 2 locos for me, a J50 and the A4 Silver King, a Gateshead based engine, though I might go for the Quicksilver as well and then I would have the complete set of Silver A4's. 

Mark in OZ

This year all 4 are released as a a Limited Edition together.

http://www.Hornby.com/shop/new-for-2015/steam-locomotives-packs/lner-4-6-2-siver-jubilee-80th-anniversary-limited-edition-assortment.html

Cheers!

AJA

Somewhere 'out there' there is probably a maroon liveried Mk 1 wearing exactly that graffiti pattern (because they no doubt used a photo to get the, hmm, 'design').  So let's not forget that Hornby are working in a widespread of markets - they've already caught me out with their 'modern livery' 'Castle' described as 'BR livery' but in fact that is just another model of the contemporary scene.  And there are customers out there who will buy models of things they can see - just as we used to do many years back (and what we bought or wanted as presents back then were probably derided by the modellers of that time.

Just because something isn't suitable for what we model or looks a bit odd to our eyes doesn't mean that it won't sell, just look what has happened with the P2, which was probably as much realistic use to most modellers as a 12volt powered chocolate teapot running on cast wheels.  Simply put just as there's no accounting for taste it's no good trying to account for what others might buy.

Just be thankful that this year Hornby have done a pretty good job for the modeller market as well with something for every one of the Big Four/most of their immediate BR successor Regions.

I can agree with everything said, just that serious modellers here said that "not for me". This leaves collectors, who probably would and newcomers who probably would not. It is a model that would have to be left in a siding or a modelled preserved railway. Therefore limited use.

Apologies for going off-topic.  That said, continental rivet counters have just as much fun as the British ones every time a new model is released!

You cannot be serious.

Do you include the Germans in having fun?

Bernard (looking over shoulder to see if SWMBO is about)

So I am a little confused by these announcements.

A few weeks ago they announced various new models at Warley, now they announce more new models.

While I understand from reading this thread (it would have been quicker to read the complete 'Lord of the Rings' by the way) that at Warley they announced future releases, ie the 71 for 2016, they didn't announce the S15. So why do they split the announcements like this?

On a personal note I am glad that they are doing a 2-HAL in blue. I had actually checked to see when they were retired as I wasn't sure any had received BR blue.  But glad there is still time before they come out as I want to get a blue 2-BIL.

• RMweb Gold

b )some K-Type Pullmans, which are visually extremely similar to previous Hornby Pullmans that were, until very recently, being sold at £20 a throw at the box-shifters.

I think I know which would fly off the shelves more quickly.

Only comparable if you keep them at least 4 feet apart! Depends whether you want a fully detailed model or a good starting point from which to make one. Those who consider anything but locos to be mere scenery are probably happy with the latter but these should please the ECML fans who, up to now have needed to expend a lot of hard graft to get the old ones up to scratch.

However, I tend to agree that Hornby will one day dip their bucket in the well marked "Pullman Cars" once too often.

John

• RMweb Gold

Did the LNER ones ever get painted blue?

Yes; e.g. photo of E1311E in 'BR General Parcels Rolling Stock' by David Larkin (Bradford Barton, 1978)

With the change to blue, the mass of lettering was moved to the RH door so that it could still be read when it was open!

John

The J50 is excellent news - I will be adding to the two I already have (a DJH and heavily detailed Lima).

There is plenty of subtle differences between and within the 4 sub classes - cab roof profile, group standard buffers, left or right hand drive, braking systems etc.... The key thing is that it already looks like a J50.

The J50 wheel base of 7'3" + 9' is the same as on the N1, N2 and J6 (and other GNR classes) albeit a different wheel diameter. If the chassis becomes available it could be very useful to create a fleet of GNR loco's

• RMweb Gold

Only comparable if you keep them at least 4 feet apart! Depends whether you want a fully detailed model or a good starting point from which to make one. Those who consider anything but locos to be mere scenery are probably happy with the latter but these should please the ECML fans who, up to now have needed to expend a lot of hard graft to get the old ones up to scratch.

However, I tend to agree that Hornby will one day dip their bucket in the well marked "Pullman Cars" once too often.

John

I suspect the two of you are talking at cross purposes.  I read CoY's response to be referring to the other detailed Hornby Pullmans and I think you are referring to the old Pullmans now sold under Railroad John.  I feel that anyone not particularly interested in the ECML or Pullmans can be forgiven for not appreciating the differences between an all-steel K type and a standard K type and, therefore, not appreciating why ECML enthusiasts might be pleased with Hornby's news.

Whether or not ECML enthusiasts will rush out to buy the seven carriages required to make up the Queen Of Scots for £350 or wait until discounts are available remains to be seen.  That's a whole other debate and already going on in another thread(s) about prices.

Presumably the carriages were seen as low hanging fruit by Hornby who already have the detailing parts for interiors, Pullman crests, knowledge of paint colours etc.  Not to mention depriving Bachmann of an obvious choice for what to run behind their (NRM) Atlantic.

• RMweb Gold

So I am a little confused by these announcements.

A few weeks ago they announced various new models at Warley, now they announce more new models.

While I understand from reading this thread (it would have been quicker to read the complete 'Lord of the Rings' by the way) that at Warley they announced future releases, ie the 71 for 2016, they didn't announce the S15. So why do they split the announcements like this?

I think they wanted to get any negative comments about duplicate models out of the way to avoid detracting from their main announcement.

The strategy seems to have worked very well.

John

• RMweb Gold

Do we seriously need yet another NRM scotsman in the same livery? R2441, R3080, R3099, and now R3336 are all in her 2004 preserved form. Why release another variant of it?

I agree.  It seems odd not to have a 1930s A3 in the Hornby line up.

I think they wanted to get any negative comments about duplicate models out of the way to avoid detracting from their main announcement.

The strategy seems to have worked very well.

John

Yes indeed! From reading this thread, which is quite lengthy, it certainly seems to have gotten people interested.

12 pages long now!

• RMweb Gold

Book Law when it arrives and available for perhaps two days  :jester:  :jester:

Ah yes.  Completely forgot that one.  Doh!  Aren't there one or two detailing issues with it though?  Or am I mixing it up with something else?

Archived