Hornby 2015 Announcements now made

Andy Y

Ah yes.  Completely forgot that one.  Doh!  Aren't there one or two detailing issues with it though?  Or am I mixing it up with something else?

It has low cut outs on Cabsides only suitable for early 1930's . But that was in publicity photos so anything could turn up on the final version.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, it is as vague as usual and what I routinely anticipate from both big manufacturers.

If you look at the CADs for R3330 (No. 6000) you will see a bell and a double chimney. I presume this model will be in 'as preserved' condition paired with a Collett tender. My guess is "GREAT <arms> WESTERN" for the livery, presuming this is how it is presently preserved. Hopefully someone who has visited it recently can confirm that.

Assuming that R3331 (King James I) will appear in "GREAT <arms> WESTERN" I'll probably order one. I won't until I know the livery however.

6000 appears to be in 'as preserved' condition Michael - and the most recent pics of it I can find online show it carrying the first BR crest which very would very firmly identify it as 'preserved' as it has the final pattern of double chimney and I think it gained parallel shank buffers quite late on.

'King James' looks to be in more or less original condition (I'm not so sure about that oil pipe cover?) with capuchon chimney and no sign of any BR period mods although the bogie can't clearly be seen and the outside steam pipe looks as if it is right but difficult to be certain from the angle shown.

Must be a pricing error.  With a letter suffix to the product code, it can't be a Railroad model, just a renumber.

I bagged a couple of LMS CCTs last week at that low, low price on line. Didn't ask what was the rationale behind the discount, just took full advantage. It's very Hornby, the price randomness!

'Hornbybuyer' has already been alluded to and if we keep him/her in mind, it saves a lot of confusion when we see some of the announced products. Logic tells us Hornby should bury its loco-drive LMS 4F now that Bachmann produces a far superior model, but Hornbybuyer would chose the Hornby 4F because it is Hornby. Similarly, Western Region Hawksworth blood & custard coaches in a trainset with an Eastern Region BR blue A4 might look weird, but Hornbybuyer knows little about railways.  

'Now't there fer me' is no use to any company, but in reality that is what many of us are. Hornby or indeed any proprietary manufacturer can only please some of the people some of the time whereas Hornbybuyer buys anything that takes his fancy. He is truly Hornby's lifeblood. Don't leave you hands in your pockets and sulk........ If you want a Q6, buy a K1. Geddit?  The folk who sit around Hornby's big table inform everyone that the K1 has sold like hot cakes in the North East of England (and in Scotland). This hopefully prompts someone to see what else could be produced for that area and sooner of later the Q6 hits the jackpot!

• RMweb Gold
Derekstuart, on 17 Dec 2014 - 15:16, said:

One general bug bear- and Hornby were the first for this. The "T" in a carriage description means TRAILER and NOT tourist.

Are those MK3s specifically designed for holiday makers? No. So why use that terminology? It is- and always has been- trailer.

Oldddudders, on 17 Dec 2014 - 16:08, said:

Derekstuart, on 17 Dec 2014 - 17:45, said:

Cheers. We know how helpful wikipedia can be. Even the entry marked "wikipedia" contains apocryphal stories (or sometimes does- they keep changing it).

I'm not sure what point you are making here. Are you saying the Wiki about Tourist Second Opens is incorrect in some way? That they were not called that? In that case I have been misinformed for the last 50+ years.... And why would a locomotive-hauled coach be called a trailer, when it couldn't be anything else? The term trailer is used in reference to multiple-units, to differentiate powered vehicles from unpowered, be the power diesel or electric.

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure what point you are making here. Are you saying the Wiki about Tourist Second Opens is incorrect in some way? That they were not called that? In that case I have been misinformed for the last 50+ years.... And why would a locomotive-hauled coach be called a trailer, when it couldn't be anything else? The term trailer is used in reference to multiple-units, to differentiate powered vehicles from unpowered, be the power diesel or electric.

I have always been under the impression that "TSO" was the abbreviation for Tourist Second Only.. a trailer being something that I remember being pushed/pulled by a Pannier.

Do we seriously need yet another NRM scotsman in the same livery? R2441, R3080, R3099, and now R3336 are all in her 2004 preserved form. Why release another variant of it?

You missed R3081, numbered limited edition in green and only available from NRM/Locomotion  :jester:

Why release another one?

CASH COW

:sungum:

............   I'd like to thank Nat and Ben at Hornby for working to help make sure that we had the additional information requested above what we were given last week; some of it was a bit last minute and there was quite a lot of work behind the scenes to give you the most complete run-down in one place. It's easy enough to understand and interpret this information to give it to you with a degree of logic hopefully focussing on what you really need to know.

As the saying goes, "Actions speak louder than words".

I find this positive and helpful attitude from Hornby so much more encouraging than the "management speak" replies to our questions.

The more that you advertise the positive behind-the-scenes activities of Hornby (and others) the more people can take encouragement in the state of the industry.

Steve Banks & Clive Carter and Michael Harris: TSO = Tourist Second Open.  Good enough for me.

TSO = Tourist Second Open, correct.

TS = Trailer Second (now Standard). As the T is applied to all HST trailers. We even refer to them as trailers colloquially. And why wouldn't we, the term is in the DM&EE Diagram Books from when the things were on the drawing board. Doesn't get more hardcore than the horse's mouth!

Why are we having another range of Pullmans? Why will people buy these? Is it that the tooling for the old range is no longer available and they've taken opportunity to give us something different?

Indeed.

Although I would have been far more interested if Hornby had announced the 1966 Mk2 (Manchester Pullman) versions instead.

TSO = Tourist Second Open, correct.

TS = Trailer Second (now Standard). As the T is applied to all HST trailers. We even refer to them as trailers colloquially. And why wouldn't we, the term is in the DM&EE Diagram Books from when the things were on the drawing board. Doesn't get more hardcore than the horse's mouth!

That's intriguing. Presumably the terminology of "trailer" dates from a time when HSTs were considered to be multiple units, and numbered as such?

Paul

• RMweb Premium

I have now pre-ordered my fleet of S15s, some with Urie Tenders and some with the flat sided, Maunsell version. This announcement has made my year and so I'm going to be different and thank Hornby again for listening to the true customer base that supports them despite their recent difficulties.

It would be good if folk also stopped carping on that there is nothing for them......for crying out loud, we are so well off for models these days it is like being in model heaven. However I do acknowledge that there is a lack of N announcements.  I'm told I'm wrong....sorry.

All the best for the next modelling year. Be patient and 2015 could easily give you what you need.

Quackers.

• RMweb Premium

Another clue that the "T" in a loco-hauled (or pushed) coach designation doesn't mean trailer is that HST coach types all start with "T" for trailer (TF, TS, TGS, TRUB etc), but for loco hauled coaches while we have TSO, we have FO (not TFO), BG (not TBG), SLE (not TSLE) etc. etc.

I know you have to be careful with sources that appear to corroborate Wikipedia as they might have used Wikipedia themselves as a source, but I don't think that applies to books I have that were written in the days before the web even existed.

Indeed.

Although I would have been far more interested if Hornby had announced the 1966 Mk2 (Manchester Pullman) versions instead.

The previous Pullmans appealed primarily to the southern region. These appeal to the ECML. Much common components. To some a delightful surprise...

• RMweb Gold

Another clue that the "T" in a loco-hauled (or pushed) coach designation doesn't mean trailer is that HST coach types all start with "T" for trailer (TF, TS, TGS, TRUB etc), but for loco hauled coaches while we have TSO, we have FO (not TFO), BG (not TBG), SLE (not TSLE) etc. etc.

I know you have to be careful with sources that appear to corroborate Wikipedia as they might have used Wikipedia themselves as a source, but I don't think that applies to books I have that were written in the days before the web even existed.

And don't forget POT (Post Office Tender).  :jester:

Archived