Hornby 2015 Announcements now made

Andy Y

The possible exception is the Black 5 but I would probably go with a white metal/brass kit anyway.  And this is not a particularly accurate model as the various available upgrading kits testify.

I really like some of the fine scale Hornby offerings-...rebuilt Patriot.  But that's about it.

It's a very good model, as good as the Patriot. By various upgrade kits, do you mean that from Brassmasters?, because there's one also available for the Rebuilt Patriot. It doesn't correct errors, it offers variations and finer detail. With the loco, Gibson Stanier bogie wheels are a worthwhile upgrade.

The main gripe people have, not sure if this also affects the Patriot, is the narrow ledge visible below the tender tank side. It's a consequence of how the tender is assembled, it can be removed though it's a bit of a faff. The tender axle boxes are moulded a bit shallow, simple upgrade from Brassmasters or others.

The 'improved' Hornby Black 5's, by Larry Goddard and Mucky Duck, featured on here in the past, and by Tim Shackleton in MRJ, are outstanding models.

Go with the kit by all means, but others should know the Hornby model is pretty damned good.

• RMweb Premium

When I posted I indicated it was a pity SK was no longer at Hornby to see what appears to be a upturn in their fortunes. Of course I meant Simon Kohler.

I do find it strange when people say there is nothing there for me, there is everything there for you, it's just whether you choose to buy it!

I have no need for lots of locos as I model West Country GWR, specifically China Clay workings, but it has not stopped me buying Lion, Kestrel, 10000 and a Beyer Garratt this year because they are interesting models. Some models which would be very useful on my China Clay layout the Hornby Heavy Tanks are too pricey for the relative quality. I will wait and see if they correct some of the quality issues that they had. Of the new releases an S15 will be one of my purchases, and perhaps a K1. I see no point in depriving myself of a decent model ( finances permitting).

I think Chris is absolutely right that Pullmans clearly are a consistent seller for Hornby. They also regularly get double duty in 'prestige' train sets and train packs and get extra sales mileage there.

You  might be onto something with the notion that the prior Pullman tooling is no longer available/serviceable. I believe all the previous high-specification Pullmans were from Kader Manfacturing Services / Sanda Kan.

Having said that, would I rather see Sliver Jubilee, Coronation or GWR toplight stock consuming this production slot over east-coast Pullmans? Certainly!

I am right. What I said is based on what Hornby and particularly Simon Kohler have told me for years. Thats why they did the Brighton Belle. The twinkling table lights sell to lots of people not just enthusiasts. Haven't had a chance to examine the new cars closely but they do have LED lamps rather than fibre optics, so that may well have required retooling. I also suspect that there's a mod to the pick-ups to reduce the amount of drag which afflicted the previous design. For the non-enthusiast purchaser a set of Pullmans can go with any of the big passenger locos. Silver Jubilee, Coronation and GWR stock can't and even a non-enthusiast will recognise that. 

CHRIS LEIGH

Would that sort of thing have been common on a maroon liveried mk1 anyway? Or is it modelled in a "preserved" state?

It would seem more accurate (appropriate or otherwise) on a blue/ grey example...

I got the impression, at the Margate meeting, that the graffiti coach was a bit of fun and that the design team had each put their own 'tags' on it. 

I got the impression, at the Margate meeting, that the graffiti coach was a bit of fun and that the design team had each put their own 'tags' on it. 

As Andy hinted in his summary:

R4647  BR Mk1 Coach, Heavily Weathered, Graffiti, Maroon  £24.99 - I can spot the names of a few product designers on there!

R4647.jpg

For the non-enthusiast purchaser a set of Pullmans can go with any of the big passenger locos. Silver Jubilee, Coronation and GWR stock can't and even a non-enthusiast will recognise that.

There's lots of people (including non-enthusiasts) who would like something light blue on blue for all those Garter blue A4s out there to pull and proper Silver Jubilee coaches would go well with all those silver A4s in this year's line-up.

I noted with interest that one of the Adams codes is listed as LSWR. If correct we get two BR versions and hopefully an accurate LSWR pale olive version but no SR version, at least not for now.

Yes, indeed it is listed as "LSWR".

LSWR 4-4-2T Adams Radial 415 Class - LSWR Preserved - R3335

Of course the description says this: "Livery: BR"

The rendered CAD image here is certainly a representation of LSWR sage green. Hornby have quite a fondness for the LSWR livery. This would be their third? (T9 and M7 so far.)

I've made some of my collections thumbnail only as, once again, Hornby are using my photos for some of their wagons without even paying a 50p download fee. I am sorry if this causes a modeller a problem but I am very tired of their attitude.

In truth they were probably influenced by the mainland Chinese way of doing things.....

• RMweb Premium

I am right. What I said is based on what Hornby and particularly Simon Kohler have told me for years. Thats why they did the Brighton Belle. The twinkling table lights sell to lots of people not just enthusiasts. Haven't had a chance to examine the new cars closely but they do have LED lamps rather than fibre optics, so that may well have required retooling. I also suspect that there's a mod to the pick-ups to reduce the amount of drag which afflicted the previous design. For the non-enthusiast purchaser a set of Pullmans can go with any of the big passenger locos. Silver Jubilee, Coronation and GWR stock can't and even a non-enthusiast will recognise that.

CHRIS LEIGH

Well let's agree to disagree on this one Chris

The non enthusiast is surely going to go down the Railroad route and I think you'll find it's these models that are in sets. They derive from Lucille in 1974 and the brake introduced in 1980. Non enthusiasts are not going to fork out £45-£50 on a Pullman when there's a £20 version available. These will only be bought by the real enthusiast , who already has rakes of the previous three versions. Simon Kohler may think Pullmans sell , and the Railroad ones may sell to the train set market,but there are lots of discounted high quality ones suggesting the markets had enough of these versions. Real enthusiasts also buy GWR Toplights and Coronations. Seems a shame limited capacity is being used on yet more Pullmans

I can't help feeling it's very toylike (as it is a bona fide fiction), and if the above is true, then sure it's a bit of fun, but it smacks a bit of self-indulgence to sell it as a result.  

Or maybe the Marketing team took that decision after a liquid lunch!

Footnote:

Each to their own, 'it's my trainset' after all.  I personally hate graffiti - having given countless school presentations to young people about the dangers inherent in applying the wretched and moronic tags - so I'm obviously not in the target market.

There's lots of people (including non-enthusiasts) who would like something light blue on blue for all those Garter blue A4s out there to pull and proper Silver Jubilee coaches would go well with all those silver A4s in this year's line-up.

And GWR coaching stock of literally any pre-1948 (ergo, anything but Hawksworth!) diagram to hang behind Hornby's King and Castle! What are Hornby going to do in their promotional pictures of the new King in 12 months time? Hang 40 year old, over-length Railroad Colletts behind them?! A critical gap in the range really: astonishing - but we've got yet more Pullmans!

CoY

Ther are far worse things visible in the "modern world" than a bit of grafitti ;)

There's few things worse than the sight of a dead 'artist' in Barking carriage sidings after they've tripped over the juice rail.

Regarding some statements earlier about the Bachmann Thomas range for North America. The Bachmann 'HO' Thomas range is, in fact, 'OO', NOT 'HO', but marketed as 'HO' for the North American Market. Bachmann had done that before with some other train packs that it sold in North America, including a rebadged Airfix Cornish Riviera train pack. 

Archived