Hornby announce Maunsell S15

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Havent a clue Black 5 Bear, havent even had it long enough to remember the number (?30842), It is early crest. Really does not matter, it broke and needs repair, the fact that I bought it 10/10/2017 proves it is new to me and therefore should be fit for purpose despite light weathering. I am sure it is just unfortunate, what they used to call in the motor trade a Friday afternoon job! 

Havent a clue Black 5 Bear, havent even had it long enough to remember the number (?30842), It is early crest. Really does not matter, it broke and needs repair, the fact that I bought it 10/10/2017 proves it is new to me and therefore should be fit for purpose despite light weathering. I am sure it is just unfortunate, what they used to call in the motor trade a Friday afternoon job!

The only reason I ask whether it was an early first batch (2015) or the subsequent later release in late 2016, is that most QC problems seem to be confined to the two BR versions, R3412 and R3413.

When I ordered R3413 the supplier came back and said that his stock was mechanically defective and that Hornby were supplying replacements.You are certainly correct that on a model with an RRP of £154.95, albeit discounted, this should not be happening.

Edited by Black 5 Bear

• 3 months later...

apologies if this has already been posted 

Interesting, but what worries me IF he loads a motor with so many coaches straight away without a good running-in session for the loco, to 'bed-in' properly, no wonder he has motor problems.

Edited by bike2steam

• RMweb Premium

Interesting, but what worries me if he loads a motor with so many coaches straight away without a good running-in session for the loco, to 'bed-in' properly, no wonder he has motor problems.

He is well aware of good running in sessions. You maybe need to look at a few of his other videos. Motors don’t go pop like that because they’ve got a coach or two on. Just to emphasise this is the third motor that’s gone pop.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There was a batch of S15s that were duff. The XLNT Model Shop in Exmouth had some in stock (not knowing they were duff) when I ordered one. They tested it and it failed, as did the others, so I was contacted to tell me the sad story. Great customer service. R3412s it was.

Fortunately Kernow had a few on offer, I asked them to test it before it was sent and they kindly obliged, it was fine and (touch wood) still is and as with my other S15 examples is a most beautiful model.

Phil

Thanks to the posters of the above tales of woe.

R3412 is 30842, flat sided tender, and Mike's video shows 30831, so I wonder if the faults cover two versions. My 30842 has been trundling round the layout with a train of vans for a few weeks now, touchwood no problems yet.

Mike, if you read this, I think the pin that goes into the valve gear support has failed, and hence the dangly bit. If you dismantle the loco it can be replaced using a Peco Track pin after drilling out the hole, I had exactly the same problem with an Arthur. When you can face looking at this again, I'd be curious to know if you need to remove the Hornby flywheels to re-install on the Taff vale replacement, or if the replacement comes with new flywheels that take the drive shaft?

Beautiful as these locos are, it is a miserable tale for quite expensive products that are fundamentally useless if they don't work reliably. 

Many thanks,

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson

Some of you may recall me posting about the bent side rod mine had, fortunately the replacement that was sent to me has had no issues, it is quite weak though, I tweeted a video a while back of it coming to a slipping haul with a military goods train that was a tad too heavy for it...

https://twitter.com/GreenGiraffe22/status/935475164527185920?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Edefault%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E3

• RMweb Gold

Some of you may recall me posting about the bent side rod mine had, fortunately the replacement that was sent to me has had no issues, it is quite weak though, I tweeted a video a while back of it coming to a slipping haul with a military goods train that was a tad too heavy for it...

https://twitter.com/GreenGiraffe22/status/935475164527185920?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Edefault%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E3

I presume the loads on your wagons must be pretty hefty - those of my S15s that are fully run-in don't break a sweat with a 20-25 vehicle van train (mainly standard Bachmann but with Gibson wheels).

Admittedly, they don't have anything tighter than a 3' radius to contend with and, when new, they did slip like yours on about 15. Wearing the shine off the wheels is what does the trick.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

I presume the loads on your wagons must be pretty hefty - those of my S15s that are fully run-in don't break a sweat with a 20-25 vehicle van train (mainly standard Bachmann but with Gibson wheels).

Admittedly, they don't have anything tighter than a 3' radius to contend with and, when new, they did slip like yours on about 15. Wearing the shine off the wheels is what does the trick.

John

Can't imagine Airfix kits weigh too much :P , the Bachmann Queen Mary is a little hefty mind ... To be fair, it has got slightly better since then, as you say, the shine may be starting to wear!

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Since mine was fixed by Hornby it has run faultlessly and is used on my van train of 21 wagons which are a mixture of RTR and kit built. Has no problem handling this train and looks the part.

Edited by 7013
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

My 827 had very low mileage when the motor stopped working, so I bought another motor. Then the rear Kadee (in the Hornby NEM pocket) was sagging, so glue applied to the pocket to hold it higher. Success. Now one of the rods has started flailing about, a pin seems to have failed, so I've had to remove that. Yawn. 

• 1 month later...

Just running with my new S15, lovely model, though the centre driving wheels have a degree of play and I don't they they are really taking any weight/providing traction.

Some recent Hornby releases (incl K1) seem to suffer from a somewhat generously recessed centre driver. Just me?. Anyone else recitified this with some packing on the bearings, and if so what thickness?

Edited by G-BOAF

Just running with my new S15, lovely model, though the centre driving wheels have a degree of play and I don't they they are really taking any weight/providing traction.

Some recent Hornby releases (incl K1) seem to suffer from a somewhat generously recessed centre driver. Just me?. Anyone else recitified this with some packing on the bearings, and if so what thickness?

I habitually look at this among much else with six+ plus coupled locos. Taking the couple of K1s that I operate as a specific example. the middle axle centre is very slightly above the plane of the end axle centres, with the model inverted. I cannot actually see a gap between the straightedge and centre wheelset tyres, but the end wheelsets rotate by contact with the steel straightedge, the centre wheelset only moves by the action of the coupling rods. Running, the gear action will move the middle axle down into rail contact, and the polishing from rail contact is pretty much uniform on all six tyres.

There will be no effect on traction even were the centre wheelset completely clear of the rail. The same total mass bears on the tyre surfaces in contact with the rails, and provided it is distributed over both end wheelsets that will be fine. I would suggest thicker grease if you really want to try packing the centre wheelset. Short of gold leaf, any solid packing would likely result in the coupled wheelbase see-sawing on the centre wheelset.

I purchased an s15 second hand from one of the big names, while it was on the rolling road one of the pins on the rh side coupling rods decided to come loose. Fortunately it didn't go far and I was able to get things sorted. Other than that it's a really nice loco.

Pete

I habitually look at this among much else with six+ plus coupled locos. Taking the couple of K1s that I operate as a specific example. the middle axle centre is very slightly above the plane of the end axle centres, with the model inverted. I cannot actually see a gap between the straightedge and centre wheelset tyres, but the end wheelsets rotate by contact with the steel straightedge, the centre wheelset only moves by the action of the coupling rods. Running, the gear action will move the middle axle down into rail contact, and the polishing from rail contact is pretty much uniform on all six tyres.

There will be no effect on traction even were the centre wheelset completely clear of the rail. The same total mass bears on the tyre surfaces in contact with the rails, and provided it is distributed over both end wheelsets that will be fine. I would suggest thicker grease if you really want to try packing the centre wheelset. Short of gold leaf, any solid packing would likely result in the coupled wheelbase see-sawing on the centre wheelset.

I'm pleased to hear its system wide, and not just mine. Although with some older models its hit and miss, but recent models, more systematic.

Grease is a good idea. I might try it; I guess the advantage is that it will self-level with running and (possibly) harden eventually. What modelling grease is out there/recommended?

I've previously 'packed' a Hornby Britannia with 0.2mm plastic from a carrier bag on the centre axle. Perfect on one side but not on the other. From looking at the model without packing I worked out that the front wheels were also not quite true (at every point on wheel revolution - I checked... by hand with the motor out!) and have now given up on that chassis - something of a dogs dinner. New chassis awaiting from a much more 'stable' batch! I have no idea how the groves for the axles/bearing are made (cast or machined) but increasingly seem variable!

In terms of traction, I get your point, BUT while the load on the drivers will be the same, the contact area is less.... that said my physics is rusty!

• RMweb Premium

I’ve got 3 J50s all of which were disappointing runners when new; exhibiting a tendency towards 3-leggedness which manifested itself in poor electrical pick up. In each case the grooves in the axle bearings were clogged with solidified grease. I cleaned all this out (involving digging out with a jeweller’s screwdriver), and on re-assembly running was greatly improved. Presumably this could affect other locos with this design of bearings?